advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Death be not proud?!....1,000 people stranded in 'Death Valley National Park'....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 06, 2022 02:23PM
.....due to flooding.....

Some of the approximately 1,000 people stranded at Death Valley National Park have left in spite of flooding

....Death Valley National Park announced its closure Friday due to substantial flooding within the park, according to a news release.

"All roads into and out of the park are currently closed and will remain closed until park staff can assess the extensiveness of the situation," the National Park Service said Friday.

There were approximately 500 visitors and 500 staff at the park Friday, according to the agency, and stranded visitors can leave if they wish. No injuries have been reported.

Abby Wines, public affairs officer for the National Park Service, told CNN Friday a number of visitors to Death Valley National Park have voluntarily left the park.

Despite road closures, Wines says "no one is stopping" visitors if they find a way out of the park.

At The Inn at Death Valley, approximately 60 cars belonging to visitors and staff are buried under debris, according to a news release.

The park got 1.46 inches of rain, the second-wettest day since record keeping began in 1911, missing the record 1.47 inches by drops, according to CNN meteorologist Pedram Javaheri.

It's almost 70% of Death Valley's average rainfall, and more than a 1,300% of its average August rain.

In 61 years of the 111 years of record-keeping, the annual rainfall in the valley did not reach Friday's amount, Javaheri said.

About an inch of rain fell within an hour, something which happens on average every 1,000 years, according to Javaheri.

Before Friday, Death Valley had only recorded 0.04 inches of rain in 2022, the driest start through July since 1953, when no rain fell at all.

Wines says it is unclear when roads will reopen. The park remained closed Saturday as many roads there were "critically damaged" by the storm, according to the California Department of Transportation.

"Drivers should not attempt to get around any closure to access the park," Caltrans said in an update.

Highway 190, which crosses the park west to east will stay closed through the weekend as crews work to clean it up, the update said.....

flooding........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Death be not proud?!....1,000 people stranded in 'Death Valley National Park'....
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 06, 2022 03:55PM
Tourists...lol. Completely unprepared for nature. 10 minutes and a shovel and most of those cars would be out. Likely only the SUVs could make it down the road though.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: Death be not proud?!....1,000 people stranded in 'Death Valley National Park'....
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 06, 2022 04:15PM
Pack food and water in your cars folks. I learned this the hard way when I was sent on a last minute assignment. Got saved by a colleague sharing supplies until I could buy my own.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 06, 2022 04:18PM
C(-)ris
Tourists...lol. Completely unprepared for nature. 10 minutes and a shovel and most of those cars would be out. Likely only the SUVs could make it down the road though.

Have you seen the pictures? Some of the cars could be out with 10 minutes of work with a shovel, but others have rocks and sand washed in around them halfway up their fenders. The would mean there is also rocks and sand washed in under the floorpans. Some of the roads are completely washed out, a genuine off-road vehicle would be needed to travel them, not your average SUV.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 06, 2022 05:15PM
NewtonMP2100
and stranded visitors can leave if they wish.

If they could leave, then they wouldn't be stranded, would they?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 06, 2022 05:37PM
Finding pictures seems to be a challenge. I tried several websites and only found one picture. Even the headline sounds sketchy, "1,000 people stranded at Death Valley National Park have left".

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 06, 2022 05:38PM
JoeH
C(-)ris

Have you seen the pictures? Some of the cars could be out with 10 minutes of work with a shovel, but others have rocks and sand washed in around them halfway up their fenders. The would mean there is also rocks and sand washed in under the floorpans. Some of the roads are completely washed out, a genuine off-road vehicle would be needed to travel them, not your average SUV.

Dig a hole under the jack point. Jack up the side of the car, fill in where the wheels are with rock and sand. Set car back down and repeat on the other side. Assess your situation from there. That 4Runner should have no problem getting out.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 06, 2022 06:30PM
davemchine
Finding pictures seems to be a challenge. I tried several websites and only found one picture. Even the headline sounds sketchy, "1,000 people stranded at Death Valley National Park have left".

A Google image search comes up with quite a few, the one you linked is the first on the page for my search. Limiting the time to within the last week will keep out pictures of previous floods.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 06, 2022 07:46PM
About two weeks ago my YT feed had a video (Colorado I think) of a guy driving is family ~20 miles into a box canyon in his lifted 4WD Tacoma Crew Cab. He got stuck on an island racing to evacuate before the flood swept the entire canyon. A helicopter took his family to safety and 12 hours later the DOT pulled the Tacoma free with a vehicle a half step down from a deuce and a half. I think the final number was 53 cars totaled, so not quite as newsworthy.

It popped back up in my feed. [youtu.be]

Got the brand wrong and tripled the estimate of cars at the trailhead.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 03:43AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 07, 2022 02:00AM
Can’t speak to Death Valley rain and flooding but western desert flash floods are legendary for not only their suddeness but their mud rock flow nature.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 07, 2022 04:58AM
I’ve been stuck with snow under my car and the wheels free because the car just sits on top of the snow. This stuff in DV is far, far worse. (Fortunately my car was in my driveway so running my garden house under the car eventually melted enough snow for me to free it. And, yes, I bottomed it out by thinking I could zoom through the snow and into my garage.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 07, 2022 05:41PM
Too bad we don't see more of Pat - he'd definitely have a good take on all of this given his experience in the area. I'm 100% certain he knows better than to visit DV during the summer, so he wasn't there, obviously. Seems like there's a 1,000 year event somewhere in that park just about every summer now, sometimes more than one! But it couldn't be anything we're doing…
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 08, 2022 01:50AM
Back in the olden days, Death Valley didn't have that many visitors, particularly in the summer months. I was there in August in a car that didn't have an air conditioner (this back in the 1960s when it was common for cars to come without them) and yeah, it was hot. Like around 121. And it was dry. At that temperature, it's possible to survive outdoors, at least for a while, but it's definitely uncomfortable. I remember we went into the visitor center at Furnace Creek and stayed indoors for several hours. We seemed to be the only visitors. I remember meeting a guy who was called Wheelbarrow Tex, who had apparently hiked into Death Valley with his wheelbarrow, and he sold me a postcard of him and his barrow for a nickel.

There are paved highways running from the western entrance at Stovepipe Wells and from the southern entrance which comes in past Zabriskie Point and past Badwater. That's another interesting thing about Death Valley -- the place names. There is a natural formation called The Race Track which is a long drive for a 4 wheel drive vehicle, and a place called Titus Canyon that is closed in the summer because the heat gets into the 140s.

By the 1970s and '80s, Europeans became interested in the area -- largely due to an article in Paris Match about a guy who decided to run across Death Valley in the summer -- and apparently it is quite the tourist destination now. I would guess that there is nothing in Europe that even remotely resembles the Death Valley landscape, although they could try visiting the Sahara Desert.

And yes, there have been quite a few floods. Not often, but when there is a desert storm, there is nothing to catch and collect the water, and it is running downhill (it's a valley, right?) so when it gets to the lower parts, it can be a lot of water, and there is plenty of dust and dirt and rocks that get moved along. A few years ago, Scottie's Castle was badly damaged by a flood. I don't know if it has been restored, or whether the current flooding would have damaged it again.
Date: August 08, 2022 02:04AM
Curious -- I looked up Wheelbarrow Tex on this newfangled internet thing, and found links to stories about the man. The stories refer to him as a desert nomad, and that he likes to get mail. Anyway, the stories are from 1967, the same year that I met him, and the stories were in the Cincinnati Inquirer, a couple of small town California newspapers, and wire service copy. I also found a version of the postcard on sale on eBay for $25, although it's not quite the same as the one I bought for a nickel.

I think that in the 1960s, the few Death Valley inhabitants liked to think of the place as the last living part of the Wild West, and they celebrated that aspect. There was an old ghost town called Rhyolite, uphill and to the east of the valley, that really was a ghost town, and really had an old bottle house. I don't know if it's still open and still preserved like it was then, but I would like to think so.

There was another ghost town called Calico that had an old silver mine, and was later bought by Knott as a tourist attraction.

Of course the best ghost town from my standpoint is Bodie.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 08, 2022 02:37AM
Been in California for about a half century now and never once had an inkling to visit Death Valley. Way things are going now it appears DV is coming to visit us. 109º in my front yard today and that was cooler than some Pacific north coasts spots.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 08, 2022 11:29AM
Ca Bob
A few years ago, Scottie's Castle was badly damaged by a flood. I don't know if it has been restored, or whether the current flooding would have damaged it again.

My company was doing a VoIP upgrade at DV when this incident occurred. Scotty's Castle was closed for a number of years afterward and we never did finish that portion of the job -- just last week I saw that in 2020 we refunded a portion of the original award amount for the job back to the government, presumably for work that was never completed at Scotty's Castle.

This web page seems to indicate that SC is still closed and repairs are still underway: [www.nps.gov]

It is what it is.
Date: August 08, 2022 01:36PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ca Bob
A few years ago, Scottie's Castle was badly damaged by a flood. I don't know if it has been restored, or whether the current flooding would have damaged it again.

My company was doing a VoIP upgrade at DV when this incident occurred. Scotty's Castle was closed for a number of years afterward and we never did finish that portion of the job -- just last week I saw that in 2020 we refunded a portion of the original award amount for the job back to the government, presumably for work that was never completed at Scotty's Castle.

This web page seems to indicate that SC is still closed and repairs are still underway: [www.nps.gov]

Originally they were projecting that repairs would be done by 2020, but things have happened since then.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 08, 2022 02:00PM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
Ca Bob

Originally they were projecting that repairs would be done by 2020, but things have happened since then.

A few years after the original award, the GSA conducted a compliance assessment for the GSA contract we used to bid this job... which came up during the audit due to having gone uncompleted for so long. It was quite satisfying, as part of our explanation for the delay, to provide the assessor with a URL to a federally-maintained website about the flooding.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 07:15PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 08, 2022 04:29PM
Thanks for the updates. There are places that are completely unlike anything in the more eastern parts of the country, which means anything from the Rockies onward.

I would like to think that Scotty's gets fixed someday, but it would obviously be a while.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020