advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Acronym for D.O.V.E in brainstorming guide, "Let the DOVE fly free." ???
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 06, 2022 04:53PM
Reminiscing with a former colleague today and the phrase, "Let the DOVE fly free." Popped up. This phrase was used to introduce a brainstorming session. The acronym covered four points, and I can't remember what the points were. Something like, 3) no value judgement, 2) ???

The phrase was used for the first step in group brainstorming. The idea was to capture every idea without judging or prioritizing. Anybody remember the DOVE?

thanks, Todd's quick-brown-fox, use-all-the-letters-before paring any board
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Acronym for D.O.V.E in brainstorming guide, "Let the DOVE fly free." ???
Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 06, 2022 06:16PM
Probably something along these lines

Don’t judge immediately
One idea at a time
Variety is important
Energy must be utilized
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 06, 2022 07:31PM
Is this it?

"A few points to remember during the brainstorming session are summed up in the acronym DOVE:
Defer judgement - accept all ideas, list everything, evaluate later.
Off-beat ideas encouraged - opt for original and creative suggestions
Vast number of ideas is the goal - get as many ideas as possible, the more the better
Evaluate ideas later - expand and build on each other's ideas"
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 06, 2022 08:04PM
Those.must be the terms. While I don't remember that exact phrasing (from 40+ years ago), they cover the guidelines we used to give for brainstorming.

thanks, T's kb
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 08, 2022 04:22PM
Italian for "where is?"

Slightly off topic, but the one or two times I had to endure a brainstorming session, I found it fairly useless. I seem to recall that somebody looked at the process, compared it with comparable approaches which however allowed for criticism along the way, and found that the latter approach worked better.

I've never quite understood the assertion that allowing for an infinite number of bad ideas will help to generate one great idea, although I suppose it is supposed to facilitate somebody who is overly shy suddenly being willing and able to speak up. I suspect that this would happen at least as well in a process which allows for criticism and thereby facilitates cross fertilization.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 09, 2022 12:40PM
Ca Bob
Italian for "where is?"

Slightly off topic, but the one or two times I had to endure a brainstorming session, I found it fairly useless. I seem to recall that somebody looked at the process, compared it with comparable approaches which however allowed for criticism along the way, and found that the latter approach worked better.

I've never quite understood the assertion that allowing for an infinite number of bad ideas will help to generate one great idea, although I suppose it is supposed to facilitate somebody who is overly shy suddenly being willing and able to speak up. I suspect that this would happen at least as well in a process which allows for criticism and thereby facilitates cross fertilization.

Regardless of if they are all bad ideas or not, the point is that there are different ideas that may spark another idea in someone else that IS good. Being able to speak without criticism can allow for things to come out that would otherwise never be said.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020