advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Discount Tire Direct?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 06, 2022 05:20PM
Prices and tires are good, but experiences with buying?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Discount Tire Direct?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 06, 2022 05:33PM
I have found Sam's Club to be cheaper 85% of the time. Right now they are running a special for $80 off a set of 4 AND free mount and balance.

You can get a free membership and spend the $45 to upgrade to plus: [daily.slickdeals.net]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 06, 2022 06:04PM
I've always thought that if an installer will NOT be making a profit from the sale of tires, they'd be less inclined to accept the "grunt work" of installing (and then possibly be responsible for any problems down the road).

I guess an "independent shop" could just charge a higher fee to do that kind of installation.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 06, 2022 06:18PM
They were great when I used them. They gave me a $40 coupon I didn’t even know about. They swapped a full sized tire and wheel for my donut, which I suspect because they had one laying around. I didn’t even realize it for a few months. The looked at some tires I didn’t even get there because something was out of balance and found a tire that needed balanced for free.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 06, 2022 06:25PM
I had a very positive experience with them a few years ago. I don't remember all the specifics, but they ended up price matching Walmart for a set of tires I wanted, plus free shipping, and they still honored the rebate that was available. More importantly, I had a bubble form on the sidewall of one of the tires (I think I hit a curb) and they let me retroactively purchase the hazard coverage and sent me a replacement tire under said warranty (shipped free). I had to buy the hazard insurance for all four, but it was still cheaper than if i had to buy a new tire.

I should note that this was all online as there are no DTD stores near me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2022 06:27PM by wurm.
Date: August 06, 2022 06:51PM
My experience was In Texarkana and not related to anything online.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 06, 2022 07:24PM
I went to a local tire chain with a quote from DTD and they matched it. DTD charged extra for a bunch of things the regional chain included, so they didn't have to come down much.

Local chain also sent a guy out to jump my car at no charge when the battery was going bad.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 06, 2022 07:56PM
M A V I C
I went to a local tire chain with a quote from DTD and they matched it. DTD charged extra for a bunch of things the regional chain included, so they didn't have to come down much.

Local chain also sent a guy out to jump my car at no charge when the battery was going bad.

I may try this, but there's mainly one chain here that deals in Nokian and I don't like them much. I was planning to take the tires to my favorite tire place for mounting and balancing.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 06, 2022 08:03PM
I have used them multiple times with no problem at all. I just ship them straight to my mechanic and he mounts them when I bring the car in. The cost for that is what you need to check ahead of time, expect it to add $60 to $80 to the cost. If your TPMS is more than four years old, I suggest switching those as well since they are only good for around 5-6 years.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 07, 2022 08:50AM
My local chain tire shop closed suddenly and now there is a sign on the door that anyone with a warranty problem can drive 30 miles to the next one and get it handled.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 07, 2022 01:11PM
Assuming that’s an online service, so no experience with them. But with regular Discount Tires, my experience with them has been excellent. For my pickup, they seem to be the only local store that has my size in stock. Got a flat once and called half a dozen places, including BJs and Sam’s, and they all said it would be next day at earliest. Another time, my wife got a flat and by the time AAA towed her to Discount Tires, it was 5:55 and they closed at 6:00. They stayed late to fix her tire.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 07, 2022 10:19PM
I can't get the tires I want in town, so I order from either Tire Rack or Discount tire. They ship fast to my home, and I've got a guy that mounts and balances them for 20 per. Before this, Big O would mount and balance for 50 per. They told me they don't sell anything like what I need, so they don't mind and make a little. And hope I'll use them when I can.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2022 06:15AM
I also had luck getting tires off ebay, a number of dealers on there.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: August 08, 2022 11:46AM
Ombligo
I also had luck getting tires off ebay, a number of dealers on there.

eBay is good when you just need one or two tires or something to get you by for awhile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020