advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Maybe I just don't understand the HomePod mini
Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 07, 2022 11:07AM
I purchased a HomePod mini a few months ago when my computer speakers stopped working. I wanted it to be mostly a replacement for them that would also be able to take some oral commands. OK. What I didn't want was a device that interfered with my iPhone and made random alarms go off. Do I just not get what it is, or are there settings I can change to make it do what I want? I find the documentation to be vague.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Maybe I just don't understand the HomePod mini
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 07, 2022 01:01PM
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 07, 2022 01:28PM
iaJim
I find the documentation to be vague.

That is true of every product Apple makes today.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 07, 2022 01:50PM
iaJim
What I didn't want was a device that interfered with my iPhone and made random alarms go off. Do I just not get what it is, or are there settings I can change to make it do what I want?

Open the Home app. Long touch on the tile for your HomePod mini. You can check and change alarm and timer settings there. For more settings, scroll to the bottom and touch the gear icon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 11:47PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 07, 2022 03:26PM
home pod is a lot of things, but a replacement for computer speakers is not one of them.

I'd return it and get a BT speaker system (or fix the problem with your current speakers).

Probably better than a manual would be to watch the introductory Keynote - there they show everything one can do with new apple thingies.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 07, 2022 06:21PM
iaJim,

Sounds to me like you haven't configured the Homepod Mini correctly. That's the likely source of the issues. However, I believe Hal is correct. The Homepod isn't a replacement for dedicated computer speakers. It's doable - there are instructions for it on the web - but it requires some configuration and seems like a possibly annoying proposition when a pair of basic computer speakers that will do the job nicely can be had on the cheap.

I'd keep the Homepod Mini and use it as a Homepod Mini and purchase a pair of dedicated computer speakers and use them for your computer. Or, return the Homepod Mini and purchase a set of dedicated computer speakers and use them for your computer. You can get something that'll do the job for much less than the cost of a Homepod Mini. Heck, you can get the speakers and an Echo Dot and still get the best of both worlds for less than the cost of a single homepod mini.

[www.pcworld.com]

Robert
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 07, 2022 07:53PM
I agree with not trying to use the HomePod as replacement computer speakers. It sounds like you are also trying to use it as speaker for other devices (music players, etc). Multiple bluetooth devices is asking for complications. If you want, you maybe able to use a usb audio out dongle and connect speakers to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 07:56PM by pqrst.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 07, 2022 11:09PM
I recall some good speakers here recently with built in BT and audio in.

If you have a phone, why do you need Siri et al on your speakers.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: August 08, 2022 12:19AM
hal
home pod is a lot of things, but a replacement for computer speakers is not one of them..

Robert M
The Homepod isn't a replacement for dedicated computer speakers. It's doable - there are instructions for it on the web - but it requires some configuration

Instructions? Here they are:

Open System Preferences, go to Sound: Output, select your HomePod.

Works fine here! HomePods are a fine choice for computer speakers.
Date: August 08, 2022 03:58AM
Article,

From what I read elsewhere, it'll work for many things but not system alert sounds and such. Those will still be routed to the speakers of your computer. So, it isn't feasible to have everything routed to the HomePod. Is this correct?

Robert
AA...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2022 06:29AM
Open System Preferences, go to Sound: Output, select your HomePod.

Works fine here! HomePods are a fine choice for computer speakers.

Having had an hk 2.1 Creature speaker system for a number of years, I know small speakers can quite good to my ear, for near-field use.

Article, can you watch a video in VLC on your Mac and have the audio play through the HomePod minis?

Is there any lag?

This would make watching a video impossible for me, as VLC is my player of choice for all non-DRM video.

If I get a HomePod mini or two, it/they would be used with a 2012 mini and macOS 10.12.6 as computer speakers.

But playing nice with VLC is mandatory.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 08, 2022 09:27AM
AA,

The other question is system requirements. What version of the Mac OS is required to use the Homepod Mini as a speaker for your Mac? I would hope that it wouldn't realyl matter as long as it is a reasonable modern version of the OS, i.e. Mojave or newer.

Robert
Date: August 08, 2022 02:16PM
Robert M
it'll work for many things but not system alert sounds and such.

That seems to be true.

RAMd®d
Article, can you watch a video in VLC on your Mac and have the audio play through the HomePod minis? Is there any lag?

There's a big lag with VLC so that's a no-go. On the other hand, video like Web, Youtube, etc. in Safari worked fine. HomePods used as external speakers for your computer connect via AirPlay so unless the video applications you use adjust synchronization for the inherent delay, they won't work as expected.

Robert M
What version of the Mac OS is required to use the Homepod Mini as a speaker for your Mac?

I'm not sure, Robert.

Anywho, I rescind my initial enthusiasm for this usage of HomePods. Grr…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 02:29PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2022 07:22PM
There's a big lag with VLC so that's a no-go. On the other hand, video like Web, Youtube, etc. in Safari worked fine. HomePods used as external speakers for your computer connect via AirPlay so unless the video applications you use adjust synchronization for the inherent delay, they won't work as expected.

Great information, if disappointing.

I really like the idea of alerts not coming through the HomePod minis.

On occasions I may pump up the volume a skosh.

It's jarring and annoying when an alert comes through, much louder than the music.

Turning the Alert Volume down means the alerts are too quiet when the volume is back to routine listening levels.

The HomePod minis are a great size for computer speakers.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020