advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there some reason someone would throw these away?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 07, 2022 01:20PM
In a "discards" pile at work, I found:

a TI-83+

five TI-84+'s

and an fx-9750GII.

Superficially, they all look OK, though some might have corroding batteries.

Other than cleaning and putting in new batteries to make sure they turn on, is there some testing I can do on these to make sure they're working properly? (I've never owned one of these calculators... so no experience with using them, but my understanding is that-- even used-- they're not cheap...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there some reason someone would throw these away?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 07, 2022 01:29PM
Around where I worked these calculators got left behind and ended up in lost & found quite a lot. Some fraction of them get picked up by the owners, the rest were eventually picked over by staff if they needed one or thrown out/recycled.

My experience is once you replace the batteries with good ones is that they either power on and work, or they are dead. Some have to be reset to turn on the display if it was turned down by the original owner. I don't recall the steps to restore to default settings.

TI has a good racket going, so many math or science related course require purchase and use of their calculators. Often when the students are done with the courses they pass the calculator on to a friend or toss it.
Date: August 07, 2022 01:34PM
JoeH
Around where I worked these calculators got left behind and ended up in lost & found quite a lot. Some fraction of them get picked up by the owners, the rest were eventually picked over by staff if they needed one or thrown out/recycled.

My experience is once you replace the batteries with good ones is that they either power on and work, or they are dead. Some have to be reset to turn on the display if it was turned down by the original owner. I don't recall the steps to restore to default settings.

TI has a good racket going, so many math or science related course require purchase and use of their calculators. Often when the students are done with the courses they pass the calculator on to a friend or toss it.

I can understand students losing them, or staff using them; but this being in the discards pile means that it was likely a faculty member tossing them. If they work, I can't understand why someone would do this. (So... if I put new batteries in and they turn on, can I be reasonably sure that they work properly?)

Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 07, 2022 01:47PM
They've bought RPN calculators, and discovered they don't need the parentheses or the equals buttons.
Date: August 07, 2022 01:49PM
Yes, basically if they turn on with fresh batteries, they will work properly. There just is not much that can go wrong in them.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 07, 2022 01:57PM
Indeed!

freeradical
They've bought RPN calculators, and discovered they don't need the parentheses or the equals buttons.

Posted by: hal
Date: August 07, 2022 03:02PM
I would discard those as well - I have computers, ipads and iphones - I don't need a calculator.
Date: August 07, 2022 03:12PM
hal
I would discard those as well - I have computers, ipads and iphones - I don't need a calculator.

I have all those things as well, and I still find having a separate calculator to be handy sometimes.

And I doubt very much that the students even know what RPN is, nor have calculators that use it.

Posted by: hal
Date: August 07, 2022 03:23PM
You asked for reasons why someone would throw these away - the reasons I gave are the reasons why I have no reason to own a calculator. I'm not suggesting that everyone should be like me, I'm just offering an explanation.

I have no idea what RPN is - why should I have a calculator that uses it? :-)

(according to google, it's Reverse Polish notation)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 07, 2022 03:28PM
Seems to me that it should be called

Notation Polish Reverse

Posted by: Diana
Date: August 07, 2022 05:08PM
They have no use for them, or else they weren’t able to get them to work. These are not cheap $20 calculators. I would check the terminals for corrosion, cleanup what I could, snd give the working ones to students who need them. But then the area that I taught didn’t require a certain calculator either. It used to be (and it still might, I don’t know,) that the problem is that these are programmable calculators, strictly forbidden for use during testing.
Date: August 07, 2022 05:42PM
TI-83+ and TI-84+ are pretty standard calculators required for courses at the university I worked for before retiring. Exams took that into consideration so that the programmability was not an issue. Looking up current information, the second course in the Calculus sequence for science, math and engineering majors expects students to have a TI-86 programmable calculator. Others do not specify a specific model, but expect use of a calculator. About the only restriction I have seen is no networked devices connected by Wifi or bluetooth.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 07, 2022 06:22PM
They can Google the answers now.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 07, 2022 06:53PM
It's funny, when I took Calculus, we weren't allowed to use calculators on tests. Now, they require it.

Son needs a specific calculator for his high school math classes. It's a shame to spend the money because he could use his iPhone, but they're not allowed to use it in class.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 07, 2022 08:19PM
High school kids might be interested in them. Could be too old/underpowered for current engineering classes.

I can't find the messages now, but I made a deal to someone here for a Ti-84(?) about 8 years ago for a high school student.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 07, 2022 08:40PM
> Is there some reason someone would throw these away?

Allergies!

Date: August 07, 2022 08:47PM
Update: I've removed the corroded batteries (not all of them had them), and they all seem to work, though one of them, the one with the worst corroded batteries, seems to have a bit of a display problem. Another one has a slight screen blemish, but not too bad. I see they also have backup button batteries; haven't bothered to replace those yet.

These things all seem to have USB and I/O ports... I'm guessing to update firmware and such?

The fx-9750GII looks to be a REALLY nice calculator... tempted to keep that one. Doubtful that students would want these...

And for the classes I've taught where calculations are necessary, I actually required them to use the calculators we provide: the simple add/subtract/multiply/divide type. The issue is that the students were so dependent on the use of calculators that they couldn't do simple math or show their work. Also, many of them will eventually be taking standardized tests where calculators aren't allowed (the tests are computer-based, and again only allow the use of a simple add/subtract/multiply/divide popup), so being dependent on a complex calculator would be a disadvantage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 08:48PM by PeterB.
Posted by: timg
Date: August 08, 2022 12:37PM
The Ti-84+ seems to required nowadays for high school calculus.

they go for a bit north of $100, so you could probably sell them for half of that at a nearby highschool.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 08, 2022 05:21PM
JoeH
TI-83+ and TI-84+ are pretty standard calculators required for courses at the university I worked for before retiring. Exams took that into consideration so that the programmability was not an issue. Looking up current information, the second course in the Calculus sequence for science, math and engineering majors expects students to have a TI-86 programmable calculator. Others do not specify a specific model, but expect use of a calculator. About the only restriction I have seen is no networked devices connected by Wifi or bluetooth.

Waaaay back in High School, my brother gifted me one of the early programmable calculators that were available at reasonable cost. Teachers weren't aware of them yet, it looked much like a TI-83 with a few extra buttons. I was in an advanced math class. I knew the content, but I have always been terrible at random simple math errors. Long formulas were deadly for me. So, I entered a few key formulas into the calculator. We had access to the formulas written during testing, this was just my way of protecting myself from making a dumb error. Got the highest grade I've ever gotten in a math class. There's a moral in there. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 05:23PM by Acer.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 08, 2022 06:04PM
Put them back where you found them.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 08, 2022 10:06PM
People throw out a lot of things for little reason at all.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 08, 2022 11:47PM
Acer
Waaaay back in High School, my brother gifted me one of the early programmable calculators that were available at reasonable cost. Teachers weren't aware of them yet, it looked much like a TI-83 with a few extra buttons. I was in an advanced math class. I knew the content, but I have always been terrible at random simple math errors. Long formulas were deadly for me. So, I entered a few key formulas into the calculator. We had access to the formulas written during testing, this was just my way of protecting myself from making a dumb error. Got the highest grade I've ever gotten in a math class. There's a moral in there. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Waaaay, waaaay back in High School, programmable calculators were known as; "slide rules".....

They maintained that name thru college, and well into grad school, too.
After portable electronic calculators matured a bit, I thought, "damn, if these things had only been available back when I was in school, I coulda been smart...."
==
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 11, 2022 08:27PM
Duck Hunt time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020