Netgear Nighthawk AX4 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Wireless 4-Stream Router $49
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 07, 2022 03:52PM
[slickdeals.net]

Features:
1,500 square feet of WiFi 6 coverage
Connect 40 plus devices at once
3 Gbps WiFi speeds for buffer-free 4K streaming on all your devices
Number of ethernet ports: five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit ethernet ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN)
Processor: dual-core processor
Security: standards-based WiFi security (802.11i, 128-bit AES encryption with PSK)
Automatic firmware update delivers latest security patches to the router
Guest network access-separate & secure
VPN support - secure access to your home network away from home

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 04:00PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netgear Nighthawk AX4 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Wireless 4-Stream Router $49
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 07, 2022 05:29PM
Why is it that single unit routers all seem to be garish robotic all-black designs while all the mesh units are more organic and svelte white now?

I'd like to update my mash of WiFi hardware, and I think a single unit would cover the area but I also want it out in the open and so something neutral in appearance is important.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2022 04:59AM
Why is it that single unit routers all seem to be garish robotic all-black designs while all the mesh units are more organic and svelte white now?

Wave propagation.

A porcupine antenna array isn't needed when the antennas are spread out as repeaters, unlike having to have a signal radiate from only one box to cover the same ground.

Way back when we didn't expect one box to cover 1500sq.ft. they had only one or two antennas.

None of them except maybe Apple routers looked like anything less that tech gears.

To spread out mesh units through out a house, they had to be less noticeable as an electronic device and appear inconspicuous as possible.

In this case, more companies than Apple chose to have function follow form.

With that svelte white look, comes a price tag.

Or go old school with the alien spider or hedgehog look, but squirrel it away somewhere in the overhead, for cheap.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 08, 2022 08:22AM
RAMd®d

Wave propagation.

A porcupine antenna array isn't needed when the antennas are spread out as repeaters, unlike having to have a signal radiate from only one box to cover the same ground.

Way back when we didn't expect one box to cover 1500sq.ft. they had only one or two antennas.

None of them except maybe Apple routers looked like anything less that tech gears.

To spread out mesh units through out a house, they had to be less noticeable as an electronic device and appear inconspicuous as possible.

In this case, more companies than Apple chose to have function follow form.

With that svelte white look, comes a price tag.

Or go old school with the alien spider or hedgehog look, but squirrel it away somewhere in the overhead, for cheap.

OK well said, that does make sense. But why can't we have the same antenna array form factor in white?
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 08, 2022 10:20AM

Number of ethernet ports: five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit ethernet ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN)

How can it possibly do all of that bandwidth it claims when it will bottleneck at the 1 Gbps WAN port.
Date: August 08, 2022 10:57AM
GGD

How can it possibly do all of that bandwidth it claims when it will bottleneck at the 1 Gbps WAN port.

It never said 3Gbps over the wired connection. I assume they mean that you may achieve up to 3Gbps total bandwidth distributed between all your wireless devices, in theory. With no interference.
Date: August 08, 2022 11:16AM
mikebw
GGD

It never said 3Gbps over the wired connection. I assume they mean that you may achieve up to 3Gbps total bandwidth distributed between all your wireless devices, in theory. With no interference.

It's saying that it will stream movies at 3Gbps on ALL devices, where is the movie content typically going to come from other than the WAN port that is limited to 1Gbps.
Date: August 08, 2022 01:46PM
GGD
mikebw
GGD

It's saying that it will stream movies at 3Gbps on ALL devices, where is the movie content typically going to come from other than the WAN port that is limited to 1Gbps.

Do you really believe that is the message they intended to convey, or are you nitpicking about grammar? It seems like you are cherry picking words to change their meaning.

They say that 3 Gbps WiFi speeds [allow] for buffer-free streaming 4K streaming... In other words, there is sufficient wireless bandwidth to transmit high bitrate steaming videos to your wireless devices, without buffering.

We can agree that the WAN is limited to 1Gbps. I maintain that the theoretical 3Gbps figure applies only to local WiFi traffic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 02:03PM by mikebw.
Date: August 08, 2022 03:22PM
mikebw
GGD
mikebw
GGD

Do you really believe that is the message they intended to convey, or are you nitpicking about grammar? It seems like you are cherry picking words to change their meaning.

They say that 3 Gbps WiFi speeds [allow] for buffer-free streaming 4K streaming... In other words, there is sufficient wireless bandwidth to transmit high bitrate steaming videos to your wireless devices, without buffering.

We can agree that the WAN is limited to 1Gbps. I maintain that the theoretical 3Gbps figure applies only to local WiFi traffic.

Nothing personal towards you, it just bugs me that router manufacturers advertise speeds for scenarios that in real world typical usage are impossible to sustain. The actual internet streaming speed is capped by the 1 Gbit WAN port or the ISP download speed whichever is lower. I had this same issue years ago with wired "Gigabit" routers that still had a 100mbit WAN port. And before that with 100mbit routers with 10mbit WAN ports.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 08, 2022 05:35PM
So how does one take advantage of this puppy's supposed 3Gbs wireless capabilities? Does that mean one of the networked machines has to be hosting the streaming content? That sounds like ya'd need to dl/dvr the content from your provider, then distribute it via the closest connected networked device? Otherwise the 1Gbs WAN/LAN ports are essentially crippling the WiFi?

Still, for $50, seems like a good deal.
==
Date: August 08, 2022 05:37PM
Buzz
So how does one take advantage of this puppy's supposed 3Gbs wireless capabilities? Does that mean one of the networked machines has to be hosting the streaming content? That sounds like ya'd need to dl/dvr the content from your provider, then distribute it via the closest connected networked device? Otherwise the 1Gbs WAN/LAN ports are essentially crippling the WiFi?

Still, for $50, seems like a good deal.
==

I imagine a Plex server or similar.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2022 07:39PM
But why can't we have the same antenna array form factor in white?

Actually, in all white, the spidey look would be pretty cool!

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 08, 2022 11:12PM
RAMd®d
But why can't we have the same antenna array form factor in white?

Actually, in all white, the spidey look would be pretty cool!

C'mon, y'all know "Snowhawk" just doesn't have the same cachét.....

or fear factor.

cool smiley
==
Date: August 09, 2022 10:59AM
Or maybe something for the arachnid lovers:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Frank , JoeH , jonny , Z
Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020