advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Followup regarding using BitTorrent: why and what for?
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 08, 2022 02:29PM
Legitimate question. Years ago I used to play around with it, getting on UseNet and such, finding stuff. It has been years, as I said, and I have largely gotten away from it.

What do YOU use it for? What topics interest you that require it? Curious minds would like to know.

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Followup regarding using BitTorrent: why and what for?
Posted by: Mr645
Date: August 08, 2022 03:19PM
I subscribe to a service that provides motorsports events from around the world. Stock car racing from Australia? British Superbikes? virtually anything motorsports related televised anywhere. Got to watch what language it's in. $15.99 per month and the array of motor sports events are available via Torrents to download. You earn discounts on the monthly fee by uploading data to other subscribers. If you serve twice as much data as you download you pay nothing for the month.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 08, 2022 04:11PM

Date: August 08, 2022 05:25PM
mattkime

smiley-laughing001
No. I’m not a cop or affiliated with any law enforcement. Just genuinely would like to know what folks use it for. I found a site that has lists of large amounts of scientific data, for instance. Which surprised me, as the last time I messed with it I don’t remember it being around. Motor sports, as stated above, also surprises me.

I know some use it for getting movies and music (entertainment stuff) LEGALLY of course.

What else?
Posted by: decay
Date: August 08, 2022 08:50PM
when i used it, it was for lossless live audio recordings and sometimes video concerts. every so often an out-of-print cult movie that was otherwise unavailable for purchase or rental.

---
Date: August 08, 2022 08:54PM
I got a PM regarding my question, and I thought I would expand a bit for everyone else:

The topic of pirating was brought up, not unexpectedly. The "cure" for pirating known as DRM only made it worse. It certainly did not, and still does not, address the issues of WHY people pirate. And yes, I will rip and remove all DRM on the media that I BOUGHT, if at all possible. This certainly does not mean that I'm going to just give it to everyone who comes along, just that I require fair use for the materials that I've bought for my own use.

I stopped using torrents when I started making enough money to buy. But there are still some things that I just cannot afford. That doesn't mean that I'm pirating software; often it isn't something I really NEED, so I make do with something else.

The point of my question wasn't why people pirate (I get that part), but rather what ELSE one would use torrents for. Perhaps it was a naive question.

Diana

Edit: Thanks decay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 08:55PM by Diana.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: August 08, 2022 09:27PM
I use it to download torrents of LibreOffice when new versions become available as it's more reliable than traditional downloads with my crappy internet.
Date: August 08, 2022 11:38PM
DewGuy
I use it to download torrents of LibreOffice when new versions become available as it's more reliable than traditional downloads with my crappy internet.

This says a LOT about the quality of internet across the US. This is not something I would have associated with torrents, I guess because I've lived near large cities since the 1980's and my internet has been (somewhat) stable, if slow.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 09, 2022 12:02AM
Yeah, I remember torrenting updates to NeoOffice, LibreOffice, etc., or other open-source software, not because my internet was suspect, but because at the time, torrents were encouraged to take the load off the servers.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 09, 2022 06:54AM
It’s still the most efficient way to disseminate large popular files. I still expect it to be integrated into Linux, iOS and/or OS X at some point. Imagine pushing huge updates that download in a fraction of the time because it saturates your connection instead of waiting on Apple.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 09, 2022 08:16AM
<<I subscribe to a service that provides motorsports >>>

Yeah, racing is for me, too.
Posted by: pinion
Date: August 09, 2022 10:56AM
decay
when i used it, it was for lossless live audio recordings and sometimes video concerts. every so often an out-of-print cult movie that was otherwise unavailable for purchase or rental.

This here. I use [www.dimeadozen.org] to find live lossless torrents of bands that are ok with their shows being recorded and shared so everything on that site should be legal. They certainly have a lot of bands that are not allowed on there because they've been asked by the band/label/manager to not allow it and they respect that.

If I'm looking for something that is incredibly hard to find I'll use btdig (which, interestingly, you can't find if you google it) but that will return results that might have copyrighted material since I think it basically just indexes every torrent from every where it can find and then let's you search.

Finally, the internet archive has so much stuff on it that it's fun to just go look around. All of their downloads have a torrent link and most that I find you can also just direct download. But since I already have BitTorrent going if I do find something interesting there I'll grab the torrent and keep it going to help other that may want to download the same thing. There is some controversy around the internet archive though about copyrighted material. I think book publishers recently (2020?) sued them because you could download books from there and I believe they're response was basically that they are like a library which would allow them to do that. I'm not sure of all the details but I think maybe the internet archive implemented some sort of check out system for those books in question? I can't recall but there is definitely some stuff that is in a gray are there.

It doesn't hurt to have torrenting software installed. I'd recommend https://www.qbittorrent.org/. That way if you do come across something you want to download it will be trivial to get it started. Do be careful about other public sites that obviously have material you shouldn't download because you will get a notice sent to your ISP and then they will send you a nasty gram or worse.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2022 04:14PM
Yeah, I use internet archive a great deal, too, but you definitely can't get HD recordings there of commercially released albums. Not that I've seen anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020