advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ebay buyer wants to cancel
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 09, 2022 04:00PM
Winning bidder (only bidder) just emailed me all apologetic that he has to cancel because he didn't read the full description and didn't see that the CD player doesn't work. Not a huge deal, as his "winning bid" was a whopping 99 cents. Part of me is annoyed that he admits not having read the full description for an item that was listed as "For parts or not working", but that's another issue.

Do I have to do something like cancel or does (s)he do that? I've never had this happen so I don't know the proper steps.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ebay buyer wants to cancel
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 09, 2022 04:03PM
The buyer should initiate the cancel. That way they are on record as the declining party, and not you the seller. It will give you a chance to accept the cancel.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 09, 2022 04:17PM
99 cents is a relatively cheap price to learn to read the full description.

I'm just sayin'.

It is what it is.
Date: August 09, 2022 04:28PM
Yeah, I know. I'm sure it's not the .99 but rather the $14.25 shipping. I'll remind him of that when I reply.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 09, 2022 04:36PM
Just cancel it. I think there's an option to say buyer requested cancellation. It's not worth the agita to even get into it with the buyer.

If you refuse, because it's "as-is" you're just going to have to wait and see if the buyer even pays. Then you have to file a non-paying buyer and go through that waiting game.

Sure, it's silly. And I've had to ask sellers to cancel because I didn't look at the pictures closely enough (but that was also a huge listing mistake by the seller because the photos were of a completely different lens, but from the same brand, so I didn't notice it at first).
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 09, 2022 04:37PM
Yeah, annoying but not worth the hassle to go to any trouble. Just cancel it and relist.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 09, 2022 04:58PM
If the buyer wants to cancel, and it's not a problem for wurm, why not let the buyer initiate?

But I agree with not making an issue of it, but if the buy wants out, let him or her do it.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 09, 2022 06:16PM
This could be a learning experience for you. Maybe put, "For parts or not working" in red, bold and the first line of the description. Maybe even type in the phrase onto the image. Like a watermark.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 09, 2022 06:25PM
RAMd®d
If the buyer wants to cancel, and it's not a problem for wurm, why not let the buyer initiate?

Why deal with the agita of explaining to the buyer how to go through the cancellation process? The buyer obviously doesn't know already, otherwise, they probably would have done so and written their explanation in the request.

I guess if you only have 1 sale a month, maybe it would hurt your metrics, but I had to do a seller cancellation (1 out of 8 sales) and it didn't ding me. It appears if you are a low-volume seller, as long as you have 3 or less "defects" you are still "Top Rated".

eBay
"Buyer asked to cancel" reason is no longer available to sellers when canceling orders for sneakers sold through Authenticity Guarantee.

So it sounds like you can select "Buyer asked to cancel" as the reason for any other categories. Come to think about it, I've had sellers cancel on me with that reason even when I didn't request it... (Negative feedback ensued).
Date: August 09, 2022 06:46PM
FWIW, here's how I replied:

Well, I'm a little confused what part of "For Parts or not working" you missed, but sure, go ahead and cancel. I'll accept.
Date: August 09, 2022 06:52PM
d4
This could be a learning experience for you. Maybe put, "For parts or not working" in red, bold and the first line of the description. Maybe even type in the phrase onto the image. Like a watermark.

Well, In buyer notes, I did clearly state: “Everything works except for the CD player. CD drawer opens and shuts and recognizes CD, but doesn't play it.”

And in the description I wrote: The radio and clock work; the CD player spins the CD, but I'm getting no audio out of it.

This is in addition to listing it as For Parts or Not Working. But maybe the buyer just has a problem with English. No biggie. It's done.
Date: August 09, 2022 07:26PM
Well, apparently, I have to cancel the order. I did and was given the option that buyer asked to cancel. It's now relisted. No harm. no foul. Thanks for your thoughts.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 10, 2022 01:41AM
Why deal with the agita of explaining to the buyer how to go through the cancellation process? The buyer obviously doesn't know already, otherwise, they probably would have done so and written their explanation in the request.

I missed that in the posts prior to mine, nor had I any idea of the agita involved.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 10, 2022 09:03AM
You'd think eBay is a lawless wasteland from social media posts about the service, but in my experience even the transactions that fail do so amicably in the vast majority of cases. It is OK to communicate with your buyer to explain how you would like to proceed. I prefer that the person ending the transaction cancel from their account. It is "best practice." Send one message, reminding them they can and should cancel from their side. If they are clueless, then cancel from your side and move on with your day.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 10, 2022 12:40PM
d4

I think this is a good idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020