advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Finding local social clubs
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 09, 2022 09:21PM
Back in the day the local Chamber of Commerce used to maintain a list of social clubs for our city. It was a rather thick publication! Then I remember the meet up website became popular but now it is a ghost town. Googling for local social clubs mostly produces a list of restaurants. Just how do people find things to do together these days? I’m trying to find opportunities for my high school aged daughter who takes classes at home.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Finding local social clubs
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 09, 2022 09:27PM
davemchine
I’m trying to find opportunities for my high school aged daughter who takes classes at home.

I'd suggest something that focuses on an activity. Sports is the obvious example.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2022 09:28PM
Social Clubs ? oh my... usually based on ethnicity or a specific activity. I agree that finding like minded youths is a challenge when you're electronically isolated from the usual social environment of school. Hobbies ? Scouting ? Religious organization if applicable ? Ethnic identity ? Community education programs ? Summer activity programs ?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2022 10:10PM
I could hang with a bunch of old guys (ahem) if I wanted to put in with a (fill in ethic community) while drinking and smoking and eating.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 09, 2022 10:48PM
> Just how do people find things to do together these days?

I'd like to know as well.

Fairs and carnivals are still happening.

But for most of my interests, websites haven't been updated for two years. Mailing lists went to Slack channels went to nothing at all.

My calendar is about 10% filled vs 2019.

Date: August 09, 2022 11:17PM
If you play darts, you could seek out some local bars. If you don't drink much, you could go to some trivia nights at churches, vfw halls,etc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 09, 2022 11:26PM
If I remember correctly, MeetUp cost almost $100 to set up and, that was years ago (I don’t know if there were “addition” charges as well). Somebody basically had to pony up the initial fee. I haven’t done anything with the MeetUp groups I used to be active with for YEARS now. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was a common occurrence.

You might try calling some diners / restaurants as they sometimes allow groups to use an otherwise empty room for a group to use (often NO fee, they’ll make out on the food / beverage sales). I don’t know if a site like “Yelp” would give any information on such groups. Several clubs I belonged to had that kind of arrangement.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 10, 2022 04:23AM
YMCA
YWCA
4H
Girl Scouts
Campfire Girls
Club sports like volleyball, soccer, basketball (this can get quite expensive, however)
Youth bowling leagues
The local library (ours has a teen room and hosts various teen activities)
Community choirs
Art museum (ours has youth drop-in nights and weekends)
Public museums
Photography clubs (though they might not have specific teen-oriented programs)
bike stores (ours host regular rides, some for everyone, some for women only, some MTB, some road)
equestrian clubs or groups

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 10, 2022 06:58AM
I’ve met lots of people through volunteering in many realms, Meetups, and clubs such as horse and kayaking related. Also, geocaching.
Date: August 10, 2022 07:58AM
mrbigstuff
If you play darts, you could seek out some local bars. If you don't drink much, you could go to some trivia nights at churches, vfw halls,etc.

Sorry, I missed the high school aged part!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 10, 2022 10:53AM
Online behemoths like Fecesbook have killed off a lot of social clubs, even some online ones (cough*Dealmac*cough).

Searching for Yakima Teen Social gave Lynchpin as the top result. A quick look at the site gave me the impression the group running it has an agenda, but I'm not sure what it is. "Likeminded" students meet with staff (for: indoctrination, verifying Fascist tendencies, DNA test for purity, ?) prior to enrolling...

Next in paid results was Junior League, YWCA (sounds more like battered partner support), Birth Right (ewwww).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: d4
Date: August 10, 2022 11:05AM
When I was in H.S. I bonded with friends over Dungeons&Dragons. It wasn't all about rolling dice in the basement. D&D was the loose thread that linked us all together. Sometimes we'd meet at the local hobby store together. Play basketball. Race r/c cars in the school parking lot. Trade bootleg copied VHS movies that were still playing in theatres. Hah!

Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 10, 2022 11:21AM
There are gaming groups here at a comic book store and the game corner of a locally owned bookstore, both quite popular in that age group, almost all boys. There are a couple of groups based around ukuleles and guitar. The Unitarian church has several youth groups. Also an archery club. I didn't seek out any of these; I suspect there are more.

Posted by: d4
Date: August 10, 2022 12:30PM
lost in space
There are gaming groups here ... quite popular in that age group, almost all boys.

I imagine a home-schooled, HS age girl wouldn't mind hanging out with some boys her age. The female elven magic user casts Fireball at the 3 Orcs who were caught by surprise. You have the initiative!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020