advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Silent Upgrade: Nevada homebuyer gets 87 properties for the price of one
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 09, 2022 10:19PM
Copy and paste error in the legal description of the property in the title documents included 84 additional lots and two common areas.

They won't get to keep the extras, it's going to get corrected.

RENO, Nev. – A Nevada homebuyer literally got more than she bargained for after ending up with an entire swath of lots in a subdivision in the west-central part of the state – while buying a single-family home.

The buyer was originally purchasing a single-family home in Sparks, Nevada, valued at $594,481. However, the Washoe County (Nevada) Assessor and Washoe County Recorder’s Office had records showing the buyer gained not just the property she was buying but also 84 extra house lots – and two additional parcels – in Toll Brothers’ Stonebrook development just northeast of Reno.

[www.usatoday.com]
[www.rgj.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Silent Upgrade: Nevada homebuyer gets 87 properties for the price of one
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 09, 2022 10:25PM
They should sue!

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2022 05:32AM
Small lots for such expensive homes.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2022 05:58AM
If I was the homebuyer, I'd offer to not contest it in exchange for the cost of her lot.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 10, 2022 10:11AM
LOL best thread title I've seen in a while! smiley-laughing001
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 10, 2022 11:01AM
RYF!
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 10, 2022 11:10AM
I'm guessing that the homeowner will be dealing with blow back from this at property tax time, possibly for several years.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 10, 2022 11:45AM
She can sell 10 lots for enough to cover her lot, and the property taxes on the rest (for years to come, probably).

Then keep the lots in a ring around hers, and sell the rest!

Might want to wait until the lawsuits are settled first, though...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rz
Date: August 11, 2022 07:36AM
Speedy

It’s like that everywhere. Most newer developments these days are trying to cram as many lots in as they can. And even older developments are seeing it. I used to live in an older, established development created in the 1950s. Most houses were in the 1500-2500 sq ft range. People are buying them and tearing them down to build 3000-4000 sq ft houses. We moved 10 minutes away and are on over 1.5 acres.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2022 09:38AM
rz
Speedy

It’s like that everywhere. Most newer developments these days are trying to cram as many lots in as they can. And even older developments are seeing it. I used to live in an older, established development created in the 1950s. Most houses were in the 1500-2500 sq ft range. People are buying them and tearing them down to build 3000-4000 sq ft houses. We moved 10 minutes away and are on over 1.5 acres.

That's because there isn't enough housing to keep pace with the population growth. But because we Americans don't like to live in apartment buildings (outside of the 19th century cities), tract housing seems to be very popular. I wouldn't ever live in that sort of neighborhood, but people like it, apparently.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 11, 2022 09:47AM
It’s out in the desert; plenty of space to extend the lots 15’ in every direction.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2022 09:50AM
Speedy
It’s out in the desert; plenty of space to extend the lots 15’ in every direction.

More utilities, more asphalt, more cement.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 11, 2022 11:35AM
mrbigstuff
Speedy

More utilities, more asphalt, more cement.

Yes, all of that.

Town near the university I used to work for brought in a consulting firm about 35 years ago for advice on managing growth in the town. Part of the report had recommendations on modifying their current zoning and development codes. The consultants pointed out that the required road frontage and lot sizes were resulting in strips of farmland alongside existing roads were being sold as residential building lots. This was resulting in very spread out housing and much costlier water, sewage and drainage lines to serve them. They did recommend creating areas where a full development would be built with less need for long supply and waste lines. The town pretty much ignored most of the recommendations, no one wanted to be limited on selling off those roadside strips. But they are now having to deal with complaints on the property taxes needed to build and maintain that extra infrastructure. Not to mention complaints from those new to rural living and being near a field that recently had manure spread.

I grew up in a small city and lived in a neighborhood built in the early 1900s. Quarter acre lots, houses were in the 2000-2500 sq ft range. Plenty of neighbors with other kids to get together with, the library was about a mile and a half walk or bike ride. All schools I went to were within walking distance. The city had a solid downtown area just a bit farther than that library. However they were convinced to get and use urban renewal money available in the '60s and '70s to acquire older apartment or mixed use buildings there. Those were torn down and developers solicited. Nothing ever came of that, much of the land remained empty for decades, though they did build a road that bypassed part of downtown. Many of the remaining stores died out over the '70s and '80s. People who used to live there in the downtown were part of their clientele, with those gone shoppers from the rest of the area were not enough to keep in business with competition from shopping centers on the edge of town.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 11, 2022 10:34PM
Then keep the lots in a ring around hers, and sell the rest!

That would be great!

Maybe put a moat in that ring.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020