advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lost my mom last night
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 10, 2022 02:52PM
Age 90. Depression child; her family walked from Milwaukee to Chicago one summer when my grandma had to escape a violent spouse. My grandma would not allow them to accept any rides unless there was a woman in the car. So they just walked.

As she was slipping away I asked her if she wanted me to go get an absentee ballot to vote in a local election for the city council. She has had differences with her representative. I told her every vote counts if she wants to see him out of office.

She replied, "That SOB."

Other than a few yes, no, no, yes answers I think those were her final words. For sure her last emphatic sentence.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lost my mom last night
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 10, 2022 02:58PM
Sorry for your loss, chopper.

Been there done that, I know what you are going through.
All of us forumites are here thinking of you.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 10, 2022 03:09PM
Tough old broad, sounds like a life well lived.
Sorry for your loss.

R.I.P. chopmom
==
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 10, 2022 03:11PM
Sorry for your loss. Sad to go out in such an aggrieved fashion.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 10, 2022 03:30PM
Very sorry for your loss, chopper. I lost my mom six years ago last month - I know the pain.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2022 03:35PM
So sorry Chopper,

I lost my mom a few months ago. What helped me was to think of the great times we had growing up rather than dwell on her loss. Still I think about her nearly every day.

Just know we are here if you need us.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 10, 2022 03:48PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Like Ombligo said, think of those great times you had together. We sure miss our Moms when they are gone.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 10, 2022 03:50PM
My condolences. May good memories lift you up during this time.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 10, 2022 03:59PM
Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2022 04:33PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your one and only mother chopper. I can tell she was a good woman
Posted by: gadje
Date: August 10, 2022 04:34PM
So sorry to hear this.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: August 10, 2022 04:43PM
I am sorry for your loss, Chopper; I hope you will always have good memories of her going forward.

=TC
Date: August 10, 2022 04:44PM
My grandma was born in 1901 in Milwaukee. She was born with I guess what they used to call a hunchback. She was one of the first children to undergo spinal surgery at a hospital in Milwaukee. She didn't know what year that might of been but she said she remembers looking out her hospital room down at the street and seeing Buffalo Bills Wild West Show going past in a parade.
Being handicapped back then was terrible. She was the first gen born in the USA (Germany). Lay people back then were super cruel to "cripples" I guess. And there were no shortage of wives tales about how a family would get a crippled child. Neighbors would not allow their kids to play with crippled children in the very urban Polish and German neighborhoods in Milwaukee, and suggested that the reason a family bore a cripple was because they were unclean or "bad blood" or other non-sense.
She was married off to some fellow at 16 and got pregnant right away. It was not a happy marriage as they lived with her parents and there was already an entire family of like 11 kids living in this apartment, during the depression. After she gave birth her mother in law took the child and left to raise it at her home, not even allowing my grandma to hold it. This because they believed that her disability was something that she could pass on to the child. This was all very accepted in those old world tenements. She never saw the child again. Even my grandma believed this was the right thing to do, at the time. It's crazy.
That husband ran off so she had to take up with another fellow for support. She told me once she'd been married 4-6 times before she was 23; living all over the Milwaukee and West Allis area. It was basically survival for a disabled person back then. She was attractive but really attracted a lot of the wrong men.
My mom never knew for sure who her father was, and neither did her siblings. There were men she called "dad" but none of them stuck around very long.
My mom's first memory from childhood was that long walk to Chicago. They walked for days and slept behind buildings at night. She was born in '32 so this was maybe 36-37. They went to Chicago to stay with my grandma's sister and things were better there, marginally. They had a roof and the kids would go out at night to steal coal off railroad cars to put in the stove at the apartment for heat.
My grandma stood in bread lines during the depression in Wisconsin; I don't think it was Milwaukee, somewhere else in the area. She remembers "Lee and his mother" in line with them because they would not talk to the other people in line because my grandma said they felt they were a better class of people although they were all standing in the same breadline.
She was surprised as hell to later hear him on the radio and then see him on TV. It was Liberace.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 10, 2022 04:52PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Chopper, she sounds like she was amazing person to have walked all that distance to get away from an evil person. I say good for her to not stay and stick out like many others. Sending positive thoughts.

Grateful11
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 10, 2022 04:56PM
I think in many ways loss feels greater as we ourselves grow and mature. By any metric, she lived a good long life. Still, sorry for it all….may time and love heal you.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 10, 2022 04:57PM
May she Rest In Peace.

I’m sorry for your loss, chopper.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 10, 2022 04:58PM
Sounds like your mother had a very hard life. My condolences to both of you.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. Vladimir Lenin
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 10, 2022 05:15PM
Sorry for your loss, Chopper.
Date: August 10, 2022 05:29PM
Thanks to all.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2022 05:32PM
Condolences. Sounds like she was a feisty one.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2022 05:43PM
Sorry to hear this Chopper.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 10, 2022 05:45PM
I hope her later years were much easier. May she truly rest now...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 10, 2022 05:59PM
Appreciate the bio info Chopper. My parents grew up during the Great Depression as well. It was an incredibly hard time and produced some incredibly hard people, people who carried those scars for life. Focus on the good and heep her memory alive as long as you can.

Take care.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2022 06:01PM
We are honored by their memories. Remember her in your stories to all.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 10, 2022 06:53PM
I too am sorry for your loss. It's a non-exclusive club we join. She sounds like she was engaged in her surroundings, always honorable.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 10, 2022 07:44PM
Remember all you can and write it down. I did record my grandparents years ago (2 of the 4) and wishi had done much more. And condolences to you and yours.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 10, 2022 07:55PM
Very sorry for your loss... she indeed sounds like a tough bird.

My mom too is not doing so well, and is the same age as yours... I just don't know how I'm going to manage when she's gone.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 10, 2022 08:09PM
So sorry for you loss chopper. Thanks for giving us some context for her life.

My mom passed a week before her ninetieth birthday, I miss her.

=wr=
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 10, 2022 08:22PM
So sorry for your loss chopper. I lost my mom at 97. You have my condolences.

JoeM
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 10, 2022 08:30PM
I just turned 90. Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 10, 2022 08:30PM
sorry for your loss chopper.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 10, 2022 09:26PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, chopper. With all due respect to her, I have to say "awesome" in the old sense of the word, that after all the adversity she had in life, in the end at 90, she was still fighting. Take care.

Posted by: blooz
Date: August 10, 2022 09:29PM
It's tough to lose a mom. My sympathy.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: davec
Date: August 10, 2022 10:25PM
My condolences. I’m hearing your mom had a life well lived. Still, the death of a parent or loved one is very tough. sad smiley
Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 10, 2022 11:13PM
Choppper, I wish you peace. Your mother has hers.

Celebrate her life.

It is tough to lose a mother. But she would want you to carry on.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 10, 2022 11:59PM
My condolences, it sounds like she lived a remarkable life.

Posted by: davester
Date: August 11, 2022 01:41AM
Sorry to hear that Chopper. Hope you have some good memories to hold on to.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 11, 2022 04:11AM
My condolences, Chopper. I lost my mom 20 years ago and I still want to ask her questions on how to do things. Good moms are awfully special and it sounds like yours was an incredible one.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: August 11, 2022 09:05AM
So very sorry. Condolences to you and your family.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 11, 2022 09:51AM
Adding to the condolences. Lost my parents more than two decades ago and I speak to them regularly. Thanks for sharing her story.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: August 11, 2022 10:34AM
Sorry to hear the news and glad you were able to have her in your life for so long.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 11, 2022 11:06PM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news, chopper. What a life your mom had. May she rest in peace.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 12, 2022 09:13AM
Sorry for your loss Chopper. Thanks for sharing your memories of her with us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020