advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I must be missing something -- how to make an old HP Laserjet wireless?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 11, 2022 08:55PM
I have an HP Laserjet 4300, a tank of a printer that has served me well for several years. I'd love to make it wireless, but the only thing I've been able to do so far is connect it to my main machine (a Mac Pro running Mojave) via ethernet, and enable Printer Sharing on the Mac Pro.

This is less than ideal because for another machine to be able to print to it, that machine has to be connected via the Ethernet network -- for whatever reason, if the machine from which I'm trying to print is only connected by the wireless network, it hangs on the print-- saying it can't find the printer.

I seem to recall that some here had suggested a solution (maybe a hardware solution?), but STFing, I wasn't able to find the threads/posts. I'd be looking for a cheap-as-dirt solution, since it's obviously an ancient printer...

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I must be missing something -- how to make an old HP Laserjet wireless?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 11, 2022 09:02PM
You need a wireless to ethernet bridge. Something like an old Airport Express should work for this since you shouldn't need a fast WiFi connection (I'm assuming you're not sending complex jobs to this printer).

This assumes you can't simply plug it into an ethernet port on your router.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 09:03PM by Gareth.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 11, 2022 09:08PM
So, you have an Ethernet network going?

Have you got the optional JetDirect Ethernet card in that printer?

If not, I'd look for the card on eBay and wire it to the network.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 11, 2022 09:12PM
If you're willing to tinker a bit then its a perfect job for a raspberry pi - [pimylifeup.com]

I had very little trouble setting up my print server WITH AirPrint support. I think you could do this with a low end pi, as cheap as $5. You'd need to consider networking (perhaps an ethernet adapter), a power supply, and cables to hook it up to a keyboard and mouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 09:13PM by mattkime.
Date: August 11, 2022 09:35PM
Tiangou

Yes, I have the JetDirect card, that's how it's connected to the (wired) network, to which the Mac Pro is also connected.

Gareth
You need a wireless to ethernet bridge. Something like an old Airport Express should work for this since you shouldn't need a fast WiFi connection (I'm assuming you're not sending complex jobs to this printer).

This assumes you can't simply plug it into an ethernet port on your router.

Hmmm... I think I may already have this, in that I just recently picked up a Time Capsule from someone locally -- got a great deal on it, it seems to work perfectly fine despite his telling me he thought the hard drive was going south. I haven't done much with the Time Capsule other than setting it up and making sure that Time Machine would back up to it, but I think I remember reading in the docs that you can connect a printer to it in order to wirelessly network? (The Time Capsule would be the better option for me than plugging the printer into my Orbi, because the Orbi is physically quite some distance from the printer and I don't think I'd want to run the ethernet cable that far... the Time Capsule, on the other hand, is right by the Mac Pro and the printer...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 09:37PM by PeterB.
Date: August 11, 2022 09:43PM
If the printer is on ethernet then this is a router config issue more than anything else.
Date: August 11, 2022 09:59PM
PeterB
Tiangou

Yes, I have the JetDirect card, that's how it's connected to the (wired) network, to which the Mac Pro is also connected.

Ah. Seemed to me that you may have been connecting to the Mac Pro via USB and using printer sharing to get it onto the Ethernet network through the Mac Pro.

So... you've wired the printer directly to the Mac Pro via Ethernet??

Why isn't the printer jacked into the network?

Date: August 11, 2022 10:11PM
Tiangou
PeterB
Tiangou

Ah. Seemed to me that you may have been connecting to the Mac Pro via USB and using printer sharing to get it onto the Ethernet network through the Mac Pro.

So... you've wired the printer directly to the Mac Pro via Ethernet??

Why isn't the printer jacked into the network?

It is. I should have been clearer in my OP. The Mac Pro, the printer, and a couple other devices are all plugged into a 10BT hub, the printer by way of its JetDirect card -- the printer does not have a USB port, it's too old for that! Printing from the Mac Pro to the printer works fine (I think you were the one who helped me a lot with the printer settings to make sure this works). Printing to the printer from another machine, through the 10BT hub, also works fine.

For wireless, I have an Orbi providing internet to all my devices (NO wired internet at all). The Orbi is at some distance from both the Mac Pro and the printer, so it wouldn't be possible to connect the printer to the Orbi's ethernet port without running a fairly long cable. The Time Capsule will be right by both the printer and the Mac Pro, so it is an obvious candidate for doing the wireless-ethernet bridge, if it's able to do that.

mattkime is correct that it must be something about the Orbi not passing wireless print data, must be something in the config, but I don't know that I want to mess around with that if I don't have to... interestingly though, I've found that I have the same problem with the wireless network at my work institution, I can't print wirelessly to any of their networked printers, but no problem if I'm connected to their wired network.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 10:12PM by PeterB.
Date: August 11, 2022 10:28PM
PeterB
For wireless, I have an Orbi providing internet to all my devices (NO wired internet at all). The Orbi is at some distance from both the Mac Pro and the printer, so it wouldn't be possible to connect the printer to the Orbi's ethernet port without running a fairly long cable...

Why don't you just use powerline adapters?

Date: August 11, 2022 10:42PM
Tiangou
PeterB
For wireless, I have an Orbi providing internet to all my devices (NO wired internet at all). The Orbi is at some distance from both the Mac Pro and the printer, so it wouldn't be possible to connect the printer to the Orbi's ethernet port without running a fairly long cable...

I think we've been through this before... they don't reliably work in my house, and when they have worked, the speeds have been terrible.

Date: August 11, 2022 11:01PM
PeterB
Tiangou
PeterB

I think we've been through this before... they don't reliably work in my house, and when they have worked, the speeds have been terrible.

Yeah, maybe for Internet, but you have a 10Mbps Ethernet port on the HP. Even with lousy 50 year old wiring you should be able to eke out enough signal for the HP.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 11, 2022 11:14PM
There are wifi printer servers you can buy.
Date: August 12, 2022 12:40AM
Success! (Though it was by a pretty weird route...)

The Time Capsule has a USB port ... to which the documentation says you can attach a supported device to share over the network. So... I attached the Laserjet using a USB-parallel adapter to the TC (rather than by ethernet) -- and it works, but with some odd aspects:

1) The TC has to have wireless active (I hadn't set it up this way, since it was connected to my network anyway through the 10BT hub);

2) I can't seem to add the printer directly using Sys Preferences, I have to use the option of "print over server", where the server machine is my Mac Pro.

It occurs to me that I could have just connected the Laserjet with the USB-parallel adapter directly to the Mac Pro, rather than to the TC, and that should have worked just as well?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 12, 2022 09:16AM
That was quite a thread. Well done !
Date: August 12, 2022 10:00AM
I'm confused - do you have two separate networks? You Orbi isn't in some way connected to your ethernet network?

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 12, 2022 12:06PM
PeterB
It occurs to me that I could have just connected the Laserjet with the USB-parallel adapter directly to the Mac Pro, rather than to the TC, and that should have worked just as well?

I wonder if printer sharing would have worked better if the Laserjet was connected to the Mac Pro via USB.

As I understand it, with your previous setup (Mac Pro and Laserjet connected to an "internetless" ethernet hub), there wouldn't be any IP addresses assigned to those connection. Thus, maybe the printer sharing got confused going to an IP-less network device.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 12, 2022 12:36PM
Matt,

I'm confused as well. Assuming the printer has a JetDirect card for ethernet, it really ought to be plug and play on the network. Connect the printer to the network via ethernet. Find the printer on the Mac(s).

Since this is an Orbi based network, it's a mesh network system with a base unit and at least one or two satellites. The typical Orbi base unit and each of the satellites have ethernet ports on them. Connect the printer to an ethernet port on one of the satellites and then find it with the Macs.

I'm also wondering how the ethernet hub is connected to the network. The typical hub is hardwired to the network. But, now, I'm wondering how the network as a whole is put together. Something definitely sounds wonky.

Robert
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 12, 2022 01:05PM
“ Add a network printer by specifying its IP address “

[support.apple.com]
Date: August 12, 2022 01:22PM
mattkime
I'm confused - do you have two separate networks? You Orbi isn't in some way connected to your ethernet network?

Correct. The Orbi is to supply internet, the ethernet is just for better speed of connection between networked machines for stuff like copying files, screen sharing, etc.

Gareth
PeterB

I wonder if printer sharing would have worked better if the Laserjet was connected to the Mac Pro via USB.

As I understand it, with your previous setup (Mac Pro and Laserjet connected to an "internetless" ethernet hub), there wouldn't be any IP addresses assigned to those connection. Thus, maybe the printer sharing got confused going to an IP-less network device.

Yes, it's possible that printer sharing would have worked better with USB. The way Tiangou (I think it was) helped me set up the printer, it does have a static IP of 192.0.0.193. Background here: [forums.macresource.com]

Robert M
Matt,

I'm confused as well. Assuming the printer has a JetDirect card for ethernet, it really ought to be plug and play on the network. Connect the printer to the network via ethernet. Find the printer on the Mac(s).

Since this is an Orbi based network, it's a mesh network system with a base unit and at least one or two satellites. The typical Orbi base unit and each of the satellites have ethernet ports on them. Connect the printer to an ethernet port on one of the satellites and then find it with the Macs.

I'm also wondering how the ethernet hub is connected to the network. The typical hub is hardwired to the network. But, now, I'm wondering how the network as a whole is put together. Something definitely sounds wonky.

Robert

Yes, you would think so (about it being plug-and-play), but... if you read the forum link I gave above, you'll see that it wasn't.

The Orbi -- I just have the base unit, no satellites -- the satellites seem not to have been necessary for me to get decent reception. I could buy a satellite and then connect the printer via ethernet that way, but I figured since I already have the TC, to try that first.

The 10BT hub is just connected to only the Macs and the printer, NOT to the Orbi, see above.

btfc
“ Add a network printer by specifying its IP address “

[support.apple.com]

Yep, that works, so long as the machine trying to add the printer is connected by ethernet. I was trying to get it to print wirelessly instead... so basically trying to use the Mac Pro as an wireless-ethernet bridge to the printer, but ended up going the route of using the TC instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 01:27PM by PeterB.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 12, 2022 01:40PM
Yeah, you never really solved your issues from that older link.

The HP laser printer utility mentioned in that other thread would allow you to give the printer an IP address that would work with your current network via wireless.

Alternatively, you could adjust your network’s settings so that it would include the printer’s current address.

Edit:

[h10032.www1.hp.com]

Pg. 165 indicates you can adjust IP values through the printer’s control panel.

( See also pgs. 26-34 )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 02:23PM by btfc.
Date: August 12, 2022 01:50PM
PeterB - If I was nearby I'd string that ethernet cable between the orbi and the ethernet hub. There'd be some potential mess but everything would work very well in the end. I know I know, its out of the question.

I think the solution should be joining those two networks.

Orbi satellites would work but look expensive. Maybe I'm not looking at the right item or in the right place.

Otherwise this looks like a well priced access point - [www.amazon.com] - I don't have any experience but if it does what it says on the tin then it should work. Its a wireless client that bridges to ethernet.

---

Oh, of course you can plug it into the mac pro and use printer sharing. That machine is on both networks. But then the Mac Pro is on all the time. Maybe it already is. I'm not sure of the power draw for something like that, particularly if it uses wake on ethernet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 01:52PM by mattkime.
Date: August 12, 2022 03:14PM
PeterB,

Sounds to me the issue is that you're using the incorrect tools to make the printer wireless. Something like the box in Matt's link should do the job nicely. Back in the day, I used an Apple AIrport Express to do the same thing for an old HP laserjet. Connected the AIrport Express to the wireless network. Connected the printer to the Airport Express via ethernet. Found the printer in system preferences. Easy peasy. No special USB-Parallel dongles, no printer sharing. Very basic connection.

Robert
Date: August 12, 2022 04:59PM
Come to think of it, he could connect the printer to the WAP and toss the rest of the ethernet.

Date: August 12, 2022 08:23PM
Robert M
PeterB,

Sounds to me the issue is that you're using the incorrect tools to make the printer wireless. Something like the box in Matt's link should do the job nicely. Back in the day, I used an Apple AIrport Express to do the same thing for an old HP laserjet. Connected the AIrport Express to the wireless network. Connected the printer to the Airport Express via ethernet. Found the printer in system preferences. Easy peasy. No special USB-Parallel dongles, no printer sharing. Very basic connection.

Robert

I probably have one of those in the closet somewhere -- not an Airport Express, but a regular original Apple Airport.

mattkime
Come to think of it, he could connect the printer to the WAP and toss the rest of the ethernet.

Except for the fact that I can't really run an Ethernet cable from the printer to the Orbi...

Also, I should have mentioned that I have a fairly high bandwidth load on my Orbi, including all my computers, smart TV's, and Ring cameras/alarm system... another good argument to have a separate (faster) 10BT intranet.

Date: August 12, 2022 08:33PM
PeterB
Except for the fact that I can't really run an Ethernet cable from the printer to the Orbi...

Thats the problem that the Wireless Access Point solves.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 12, 2022 08:37PM
Nevermind, I just reread part of this and realized your networks are completely separate...That is your problem that you need to solve. I have dozens of devices on a network at home, there is no reason to segregate the wireless and wired from a speed perspective. Security? Perhaps. But speed, nope.

This sounds suspiciously like the Orbi is setup as a router instead of a bridge and is separating the wired and wireless networks.

PeterB, when you connect to the ORBI what IP address are you getting on the wireless clients? Is it in the same subnet as the wired machines? Even if it is they still could be seperate networks, can you ping the printer or the Mac Pro from a wireless device?

Also ditch the 10T hub, that thing is ancient. Get a 5 or 10 port gigabit switch.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 08:41PM by C(-)ris.
Date: August 12, 2022 09:00PM
Phorum members really need to work on their network-diagram skills and post pictures with their questions. smiling smiley

Peter, the Netgear Orbi 4G hotspot is a router. Routers segregate traffic between the local network and the outside network (Internet) so that your computer-to-computer network traffic should not significantly affect your available Internet bandwidth.

You could run a cable to your switch from the Netgear's Ethernet port to bring all of your gear online on the same network. They'd pull network addresses from the Orbi, so you'd ditch your static IP addresses in this scenario, except for the HP printer which would get a new static IP to match the IP address scheme that the Orbi uses.

Date: August 12, 2022 09:34PM
Tiangou
Phorum members really need to work on their network-diagram skills and post pictures with their questions. smiling smiley

I thought about doing that, but taking photos of the entire setup is a bit much, and I could have done a sketch and posted it, but that too seemed like a bit much. grinning smiley

Tiangou
Peter, the Netgear Orbi 4G hotspot is a router. Routers segregate traffic between the local network and the outside network (Internet) so that your computer-to-computer network traffic should not significantly affect your available Internet bandwidth.

Yes, I realize the Orbi is a router -- it's not that I was concerned with my computer-to-computer network traffic affecting my available Internet bandwidth, it's that the 10BT is-- I would assume-- much faster than the wireless network the Orbi provides. Also, I would assume that any computer-to-computer connections over the wireless network the Orbi provides WOULD put additional drain on the wireless bandwidth of the Orbi, since each of the computers is also connected to the internet through the Orbi. Anecdotally, I have seen that when I'm having heavy bandwidth internet usage, wireless connections between my machines (if I'm not using Ethernet) becomes dog-slow. In other words, while what you're saying is true in theory about the segregation of traffic, I haven't observed it to be true in my case.

Tiangou
You could run a cable to your switch from the Netgear's Ethernet port to bring all of your gear online on the same network. They'd pull network addresses from the Orbi, so you'd ditch your static IP addresses in this scenario, except for the HP printer which would get a new static IP to match the IP address scheme that the Orbi uses.

Same problem -- running an ethernet cable from the 10BT hub to the Orbi is no better than running it from the Laserjet to the Orbi-- the 10BT hub, Mac Pro, and Laserjet are all in the same location. I've centrally placed the Orbi so that it can service the whole house without satellites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 09:36PM by PeterB.
Date: August 12, 2022 10:09PM
The Orbi is capable of moving wireless data at about 80 times the speed of a 10BT hub or switch.

...Please tell me that it's a switch and not a hub.

Date: August 13, 2022 07:51AM
PeterB,

The box in the link provided by Matt is your best solution. It'll serve the same purpose that an Airport Express served on my network in years past. What I really don't understand is why you're using a Orbi mesh network system as a standard router. The whole point of a mesh network system like an Orbi is to use the base and satellites to provide ample coverage and speed in an entire home.

Didn't your Orbi system come with at least one satellite? I've never seen Orbi packages sold as just a base under normal circumstances. They're almost always a base and at least one satellite. An appropriate Orbi satellite would be the best choice for you but they are absurdly expensive to buy on their own, even used. Always better to buy an Orbi system as a package.

But, for your situation, the WAP box is your best bet. At under $30.00, it's definitely worth a try. Another option is a set of MoCa boxes. This assumes you have coaxial in both rooms. MoCa boxes are pricey in comparison to the WAP box. I'd definitely try the WAP box first.

Robert
Date: August 13, 2022 08:45AM
OK guys, I'm ready to fire up the ol' Smurf G3 with OS9, I'm sure I can find the HP software somewhere.

What do I need to do, so far as setting the IP for the Laserjet? (I see it also needs a firmware update, might as well do that too, while I'm at it...)

And YES, I have all the old equipment/software to do these kinds of things...

To answer Robert M.: I bought the Orbi as a refurb on Amazon I think, didn't come with any satellites...)

To answer Tiangou: Yes, mea culpa, it's a 10BT switch and not a hub. It may be the case that the Orbi can move things faster than the switch, but I just haven't observed that to be true. It could be because there are a lot of wireless networks in my area and I might be getting significant interference.

Date: August 13, 2022 09:09AM
PeterB
To answer Tiangou: Yes, mea culpa, it's a 10BT switch and not a hub. It may be the case that the Orbi can move things faster than the switch, but I just haven't observed that to be true. It could be because there are a lot of wireless networks in my area and I might be getting significant interference.

It could be that you're looking at your Internet bandwidth and not the WiFi speeds. A simple stopwatch test, copying files between computers on WiFi and between computers on your 10BT switch should show a great difference in speed.

Date: August 13, 2022 04:48PM
PeterB - I really do think you're making this more difficult than it needs to be. I can understand if something we're saying isn't making sense but this might be a case where its a good idea to try the ridiculous thing that people are suggesting.

Date: August 13, 2022 05:09PM
mattkime
PeterB - I really do think you're making this more difficult than it needs to be. I can understand if something we're saying isn't making sense but this might be a case where its a good idea to try the ridiculous thing that people are suggesting.

matt, I'm certainly not against trying the wireless-ethernet bridge, just thinking I may already have what I need -- since I might have an old Airport base station lying around here anyway (I have a TON of old networking equipment), I could do what Robert M. said he did.

Edit: still waiting to hear what I'm supposed to do with the HP Laserjet Utility app.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 05:10PM by PeterB.
Date: August 13, 2022 05:43PM
PeterB,

I never bothered with the HP Laserjet Utility. Always used the laser printing software included with the Mac OS.

Robert
Date: August 13, 2022 05:54PM
PeterB
matt, I'm certainly not against trying the wireless-ethernet bridge, just thinking I may already have what I need -- since I might have an old Airport base station lying around here anyway (I have a TON of old networking equipment), I could do what Robert M. said he did.

k, I must have gotten lost in all the ideas being thrown around.
Date: August 13, 2022 06:56PM
Robert M
PeterB,

I never bothered with the HP Laserjet Utility. Always used the laser printing software included with the Mac OS.

Robert

From btfc's post:

"The HP laser printer utility mentioned in that other thread would allow you to give the printer an IP address that would work with your current network via wireless."

... is this still necessary, if I (say) try to connect the printer via either the Airport base station or matt's suggested ethernet-wireless bridge?

Date: August 13, 2022 08:33PM
>... is this still necessary, if I (say) try to connect the printer via either the Airport base station or matt's suggested ethernet-wireless bridge?

That would be necessary if your printer was connected via ethernet and IP AND your printer didn't support DHCP. I don't think you need to worry about this.
Date: August 13, 2022 08:49PM
mattkime
>... is this still necessary, if I (say) try to connect the printer via either the Airport base station or matt's suggested ethernet-wireless bridge?

That would be necessary if your printer was connected via ethernet and IP AND your printer didn't support DHCP. I don't think you need to worry about this.

So... printer should be set for DHCP, rather than static IP as it currently is? Do I need to mess with any of the settings for subnet mask, etc.?

Date: August 13, 2022 09:03PM
What device are you connecting to the print and with which cable?

Date: August 13, 2022 09:08PM
mattkime

Not sure what you mean... I will presumably be connecting the printer to either the Airport BS or your wireless-ethernet bridge via an ethernet cable...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 09:09PM by PeterB.
Date: August 13, 2022 09:43PM
PeterB
mattkime

Not sure what you mean... I will presumably be connecting the printer to either the Airport BS or your wireless-ethernet bridge via an ethernet cable...

I was once again confused, I thought there was an earlier mention of an parallel -> usb adapter.

Can you print the configuration page to see the TCP/IP settings? Might not need to run the utility.
Date: August 13, 2022 10:01PM
mattkime
PeterB
mattkime

I was once again confused, I thought there was an earlier mention of an parallel -> usb adapter.

Can you print the configuration page to see the TCP/IP settings? Might not need to run the utility.

Yep, currently set as described in the forum thread linked above -- static IP of 192.0.0.193.

Date: August 13, 2022 10:10PM
PeterB
Yep, currently set as described in the forum thread linked above -- static IP of 192.0.0.193.

Ah, thats dumb. At this point it seems like you have a handle on it but the conversation is good so why not continue. Can you configure your printer to use dhcp like so? [yourcomputerguru.com.au]

Date: August 13, 2022 11:09PM
mattkime
PeterB

Ah, thats dumb. At this point it seems like you have a handle on it but the conversation is good so why not continue. Can you configure your printer to use dhcp like so? [yourcomputerguru.com.au]

Yes, of course -- or the Laserjet Utility also allows you to do this (and a whole lot easier/faster too). What I just wasn't sure of, is whether the Laserjet should be set for DHCP or something else, and if I need to change any of the other parameters (subnet mask, etc.).

Date: August 14, 2022 12:00PM
Hmmm... looks like my ancient Airport BS won't work for this purpose. It's one of the original graphite ones, and so far as I can tell, SHOULD support wireless-ethernet bridging (there's an option to set it this way in the Airport Admin Utility)... but I don't see how to set it so that it's connecting to my home wireless network... this may only be possible with the Airport Express BS and above.

I've already ordered the wireless bridge that matt suggested, may come post back here for help if it isn't plug and play.

Posted by: fauch
Date: August 15, 2022 03:27PM
It sounds like the printer and the wireless network are on different subnets, or the traffic is being blocked for some reason. If it connects via Ethernet, and wired devices connect to it, wireless devices SHOULD as well provided they are on the same network. Does file sharing or other stuff work via WiFi between the computers?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020