advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Abby the Dog was Missing for Two Months, then Rescued from Missouri Cave
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 12, 2022 04:30PM
‘ Gerry Keene was 500 feet underground on a cave exploration adventure in Missouri when his headlamp shone on something he’d never seen this deep in a cave: a dog.
She was skinny with matted fur and had curled up on a slab of cold rock, too weak to wag her tail or whimper.

Keene had seen fish, frogs and other small amphibians on his previous trips underground, but the last thing he expected to see was a dog. There was no telling how long she had been stuck down there.
“We realized it would be hard to get her out because she was too weak to walk,” said Keene, 59, who was on a spelunking trip in Perryville, Mo., on Saturday with a small group that included several children.
He snapped a photo of the dog, then headed out of the cave to call for help from emergency responders.

At the same time as an assistant fire chief arrived, Rick Haley, a caving enthusiast who happened to be nearby, overheard that a dog was found inside the cave and needed rescuing. He volunteered to venture back into the darkness with Keene and help bring out the pup.

“There’s no telling how long she’d been down there, but we knew we had to get her out,” said Haley, who had just been surveying 2,000 feet of passageways in the Tom Moore Cave system for the Cave Research Foundation.
Haley and Keene decided the only way to rescue the wounded dog was to go back down and carry her up.
“If we didn’t get her out, she would die in there,” said Haley, 66, a caver with 30 years of experience. “It would be a tough, vertical climb to get her out. But we were up for it.”

Before Keene went back into the cave with Haley, he showed the photo of the dog to residents who lived near the cave. One of them recognized her as Abby, a neighbor’s mixed-breed poodle who had gone missing June 9. ‘

LINK: [www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 09:50PM by btfc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Abby the Dog was Missing for Two Months, then Rescued from Missouri Cave
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 12, 2022 08:52PM
no further details? this is a great, heartwarming story.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 13, 2022 08:48AM
Yes, this deserves a happily ever after conclusion.

But give the story is dated August 11, rehabbing the dog could take awhile.

I wonder if the dog climbed down or fell, or both.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 13, 2022 08:50AM
....miss.....ouri.....love company....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 13, 2022 09:33AM
RAMd®d
Yes, this deserves a happily ever after conclusion.

But give the story is dated August 11, rehabbing the dog could take awhile.

I wonder if the dog climbed down or fell, or both.

yes but details like was the dog glad to see her rescuers? did she understand they were there to help her? was there at least water nearby? did they give her a bit of food first? did they strap her on their back or carry her in their arms?

come on, i'm working on the screenplay here.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 09:51AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 13, 2022 11:04AM
From the article (and what remember it said):

Abby had water in the cave; this is how she survived so long.

She was carried out in a “bag” like carrier. They had to lift her/slide her/tote her out of there. There was no way she could have made it out on her own.

She was calm and quiet the whole time. There was no mention of her being grateful, as I doubt that she knew she was being rescued, nor was there mention of whether she was afraid.

There was no mention of giving her food at the time of her rescue. She was taken home by her owner, where she was given broth at first to “kickstart her gut” and tended there, reuniting with the other dog and the cat. She is apparently doing well, as the article finished with a picture from the back of the two dogs on leashes accompanied by the cat walking down the road.

Abby was apparently off her leash (as was the other dog) as they were allowed out sometimes to run and play. The other dog came home; Abby didn’t. The owner supposed that Abby either chased something into the cave, or fell in.

My guess is that she fell through a hole and wandered quite some ways looking for a way out. Otherwise it seems reasonable that both dogs would have been missing if she had chased something as one dog chasing and the other one not doing anything doesn’t make sense. If she ran in, chances are decent that she could have found her way out.

I know people get lost every day in cave systems, especially for those who are directionally impaired. Abby is an old dog (apparently over 10 years old) so it could happen to her as well, but she always made it home before.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 13, 2022 11:14AM

‘ They walked and crawled for about 15 minutes until they reached Abby, but it took them more than an hour to carefully haul her through low and narrow tunnels to the surface in a padded duffel bag, Haley said. The exhausted pooch’s head poked out of the top.
“We had to move her hand over hand because it was pretty tight and vertical coming out,” Haley said, noting that at one point he and Keene had to slither through mud in a long corkscrew tunnel.
“It was tiring because it was the fourth trip through the cave that day,” Keene said. “But we just took it slow and easy.”

Abby was quiet and relaxed as they moved her through the tight spaces, perhaps because she knew she was being rescued, Haley said.
“She was also extremely weak and emaciated from lack of food,” he said. “She did have water in the cave. If not for that, she wouldn’t be here.” ‘
Date: August 13, 2022 11:19AM
Awww! What a great story! Thank you for filling in the picture. I needed that in this age of otherwise distressing news about the things some people do.

I showed the post to my son and remarked that caves are often moist so she had to have had access to some fluid or she wouldn't have made it that long.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 14, 2022 06:47AM
Awww! What a great story! Thank you for filling in the picture. I needed that in this age of otherwise distressing news about the things some people do.

Exactly, on all counts.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020