advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
talc-iturn?!....J&J ending sale of baby powder with talc next year.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 12, 2022 07:02PM
....due to lawsuits over causing cancer.....will replace with cornstarch....

Johnson & Johnson will stop selling talc-based baby powder around the world in 2023

....Johnson & Johnson is abandoning talc-based baby powder next year and instead will make it with cornstarch.

Its talc-based powder, which hasn't been sold in the United States and Canada since 2020, is at the center of tens of thousands of lawsuits filed by women who have developed ovarian cancer after using regular talcum powder

Johnson & Johnson says it remains confident in the safety of the product. But, in a statement Friday, the company said it would stop selling talc-based powder around the world next year as part of a "worldwide portfolio assessment."

"We continuously evaluate and optimize our portfolio to best position the business for long-term growth," the company said in a statement. "This transition will help simplify our product offerings, deliver sustainable innovation, and meet the needs of our consumers, customers and evolving global trends."

A handful of talcum powder companies have put warning labels on their products, but Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) argued such a label would be confusing, because it stood by its product. Some scientific studies have shown that women have an increased risk of ovarian cancer with talc use in the genital area, but others do not.

Lawsuits have been filed against the company alleging that asbestos in its talcum powder causes cancer. A St. Louis jury delivered a $4.7 billion verdict against the company in 2018, saying the company was negligent and did not warn consumers about possible health risks from its baby powder.

"Our position on the safety of our cosmetic talc remains unchanged. We stand firmly behind the decades of independent scientific analysis by medical experts around the world that confirms talc-based Johnson's Baby Powder is safe, does not contain asbestos, and does not cause cancer," it said in Friday's announcement.

ending.........sales........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: talc-iturn?!....J&J ending sale of baby powder with talc next year.....
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 12, 2022 07:47PM
I guess I need to stock up.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 12, 2022 09:22PM
Jeeber's, I've been using J&J's cornstarch flavor for decades.... never liked "real" talc.
Plenty of other good choices, too....

==
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 13, 2022 05:46AM
I’ve gone one further and started making my own. Cornstarch, baking soda, essential oil. It’s one less thing to buy… I always have those things in the house! I thought they stopped using talc years ago.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 13, 2022 09:41AM
My chemistry teacher in college warned us about talc way back in the 70’s.
He showed us what talc looked like magnified and how it has little barbs all over it and works it’s way into the skin.
It is in a lot of cosmetics, so you have to be a label reader to spot it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 13, 2022 12:47PM
RecipeForDisaster
I’ve gone one further and started making my own. Cornstarch, baking soda, essential oil. It’s one less thing to buy… I always have those things in the house! I thought they stopped using talc years ago.

While we also have all the ingredients handy, and I have thought about RYO'ing a batch of nut dust, the pre-made canisters last such a long time (I swear the stuff multiplies by itself), I've been willing to contribute to the maker's causes. A couple of light shakes while donning the daily undies is all that's used.

What do you do to RYO? Best guess would be to mix the dry ingredients, then spread them out on something like a cookie sheet, then dilute the essential oil in a spray mister full of some sort of high-proof alcohol (and possibly a few drops of a carrier oil, depending of what flavor|s| of essential oil you're using), and spraying/misting the powder on the cookie sheet with the desired amount of flavoring. Let dry. Insert in shaker bottle?

Rhonda- Was that Professor Adelman by chance?
---

I found the timing of this thread rather amusing; as while Mrs. Buzz was cleaning out her under-sink bathroom cabinet just a couple of weeks ago (to re-caulk around the sink), she found, and then immediately tossed, a full canister of J&J's real talcum powder..... somebody probably bought it by mistake when Baby Buzz was really a baby, as their labeling differences were so discrete as to be easily missed.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 775
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020