Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are Airplane Seats Too Small? The FAA Launches Review
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 14, 2022 03:50PM
Are Airplane Seats Too Small? The FAA Launches Review

"Fliers hoping for a more comfortable ride soon, though, may have to wait: The FAA says its mandate doesn’t extend beyond safety, and it noted that it isn’t interested in comments on the “unrelated” issues of passenger comfort or convenience. But many people believe they are related, judging from the nearly 5,000 comments posted less than a week after the announcement, well ahead of the November 1 deadline."

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are Airplane Seats Too Small? The FAA Launches Review
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 14, 2022 04:49PM
The average man is 5'7" tall. I'm exactly that and I have never felt cramped flying economy class.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 14, 2022 05:41PM
I’m 340 on a 5’10” frame, and I absolutely feel cramped in airline seats. But that’s my fault, and in fact I should be paying a significant weight penalty.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 14, 2022 05:44PM
Carnos Jax
I’m 340 on a 5’10” frame, and I absolutely feel cramped in airline seats. But that’s my fault, and in fact I should be paying a significant weight penalty.

I am an inch taller and over 100 pounds lighter and I still felt cramped in economy class seats, and that was years ago before they reduced spacing even more. These days I take the train or a bus if not driving my own car.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 14, 2022 05:56PM
Ombligo
The average man is 5'7" tall. I'm exactly that and I have never felt cramped flying economy class.

I've already read that the average American male is 5'9" tall. Are you including other nationalities in your number?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 14, 2022 05:56PM
JoeH
Carnos Jax

I am an inch taller and over 100 pounds lighter and I still felt cramped in economy class seats, and that was years ago before they reduced spacing even more. These days I take the train or a bus if not driving my own car.

Thats not too heavy. I’m a little surprised you feel cramped, but don’t doubt it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2022 05:57PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 14, 2022 06:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ombligo

I've already read that the average American male is 5'9" tall. Are you including other nationalities in your number?

+1

If my legs have been so cramped they don't want to move, that is a safety issue.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: August 14, 2022 06:55PM
I jam 200 & 6' into them seats. When I can get JetBlue extra room for $25 I pay it if the flight is longer than 2 hrs.
Me no bend so easy anymore.

If a client is flying, they pay biz or the extra room or I stay home.
Unless I can jack them up.
Getting off a plane cranky, tired and hungry is no way to start a gig.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 15, 2022 07:58AM
The safety risk involves deep vein thrombosis and death due to the inability to move. Even a little bit.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 15, 2022 09:20AM
6'3" I cannot imagine flying economy more than 2 hours. Refuse to travel transcontinental unless in Premium Economy Plus on United. Before it was introduced, just flatly refused to go to California and delegated those trips. Internationally, Business class only, whether on business or personal (the latter using miles and/or upgrade points), for the last 24 years. With changed (non-global) job, those miles/points have dried up this month, I am quite apprehensive about future trips.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 15, 2022 09:22AM
cbelt3
The safety risk involves deep vein thrombosis and death due to the inability to move. Even a little bit.

This! It's a real problem.
Date: August 15, 2022 10:00AM
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 15, 2022 03:42PM
From googling: The average American man 20 years old and up weighs 197.9 pounds. The average waist circumference is 40.2 inches, and the average height is just over 5 feet 9 inches (about 69.1 inches) tall.

You tell me if the average airline seat is designed for such a person. And remember, that is just the AVERAGE, a significant percentage are ABOVE that.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 15, 2022 04:08PM
fauch
From googling: The average American man 20 years old and up weighs 197.9 pounds. The average waist circumference is 40.2 inches, and the average height is just over 5 feet 9 inches (about 69.1 inches) tall.

You tell me if the average airline seat is designed for such a person. And remember, that is just the AVERAGE, a significant percentage are ABOVE that.

Whats the median? Maybe a couple of people at the extremes are busting the cuve.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 15, 2022 06:47PM
And men have narrower hips than women, but then women don’t count.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 15, 2022 08:03PM
I'm 6' 3", 250. Economy seats are painful for me.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 15, 2022 08:19PM
6'2" at 225 - after a miserable experience with Spirit, I don't fly economy airlines - ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 09:39PM by RgrF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020