advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: On MBA keys not working.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 16, 2022 12:02PM
I bought the tools off Amazon to open the case back and removed the battery and there wasn’t even a hint of any battery swelling. Found a very small amount dust particles, surprisingly the fan was even clean, maybe it’s not working lol. I cleaned it out as best I could but it didn’t need much. I didn’t go any further than removing the battery. Yesterday the T Y U I O keys did well all day, today not working at all. I read that complete disassembly takes about 3 hours.

I’ve reset the PRAM twice and no change. Is there anyway this could be a software issue? I’m still running Sierra 10.12.6.

I ordered the tool kit off Amazon at 11:30am Sunday and they were here at 3pm that afternoon, amazing. It takes a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver for the case and a T5 Torx for the battery.

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: On MBA keys not working.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 16, 2022 12:08PM
Looks like you need a topcase replacement.

...If it's not the battery, another big reason for the keyboard failing would be a liquid spill. (And it could have been ages ago when it happened. It sometimes takes awhile for the damage to manifest.) Sometimes, people get lucky and it doesn't hit anything other than the keyboard. If you spotted any signs of corrosion or other indications of a spill on the logic board when you had it open then it's time for a new Mac.

Posted by: gadje
Date: August 16, 2022 01:54PM
He said last time there was no spill and no one else uses that machine.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 16, 2022 02:18PM
Eating while computing may be just as bad. Those micro crumbs and their oils will eventually wreak havoc on the key mechanisms.
Date: August 16, 2022 06:18PM
hal
Eating while computing may be just as bad. Those micro crumbs and their oils will eventually wreak havoc on the key mechanisms.

Now this might be it. I am bad about snacking while using it. Right now they are working fine again.

I did notice that pretty much every screw thread was bluish green, do they put any type of low strength thread locker on the screws?

Tiangou: Unless someone else got ahold of it and spilled something on it then there's been no spill.

Grateful11
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 16, 2022 09:43PM
This didn’t happen to you, did it? I replaced a keyboard only to find that the problem was, indeed, SOFTWARE. Boy did I ever feel dumb.

[www.cnet.com]
Date: August 17, 2022 06:45AM
tenders
This didn’t happen to you, did it? I replaced a keyboard only to find that the problem was, indeed, SOFTWARE. Boy did I ever feel dumb.

[www.cnet.com]

Interesting article. I use a Magic Trackpad 99% of the time with it and there's no Mouse Keys option under the Trackpad preferences. I'll hook my mouse up in a bit and see what shows up, right now no mouse is detected so it doesn't show me the option. Thanks!

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020