advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pro Tip for Travelers - reshop your car rental reservation!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 16, 2022 12:03PM
Car rental prices have been crazy. In May I made two reservations (just to be safe) for my trip to the Bay Area. Prices were from $550-$600 for a week's rental. YIKES, but the cost of doing business.

I reshopped my rental for the trip about a month ago and prices were still in that range. Just for the heck of it, I reshopped it on Hotwire just now which is a day before I leave and secured a car from Hertz for $364! I am happily shocked. I thought for sure the highest prices were always just before your trip. Lesson learned. I am now a reshopping evangelist! Might not always pay off but this time it certainly did.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pro Tip for Travelers - reshop your car rental reservation!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 16, 2022 12:17PM
Does it include the same terms and conditions? Insurance coverage?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 16, 2022 12:25PM
Can never hurt. I've experienced the same. I've looked into last minute pricing for quick trips I've been hemming and hawing about and found some really good deals. Unfortunately, that really only works on informal trips where you have flexibility. But it can't hurt to check.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 16, 2022 12:28PM
For my last rental car, I went through Expedia and got a "Mystery Car" from Avis for about $50/day (+ taxes), which was less than even the economy options.

The catch is, you literally don't know what you're going to get, as they give you whatever they haven't sold. We ended up with a Chevy Colorado (4-door "compact" pick-up), which worked out fine for us, but obviously wasn't the best fuel economy choice.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 16, 2022 12:30PM
I like booking rental cars with Costco Travel because they often have options that are priced better than I can find elsewhere (even with specials and corporate discounts). The quoted prices include all taxes and fees, and there is no obligation or need to pay up front. So you can lock in the rental without worrying about your plans changing later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 12:30PM by datbeme.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 16, 2022 12:33PM
I have found this site to be extremely useful for car rentals.

[www.autorentals.com]

Just enter your information and it will come back with a comparison grid for every rental option at that location. On my last trip in May, it save me 50% by pointing out AutoEurope as an option at the Grand Rapids, MI airport (I picked up the car at Avis)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 16, 2022 12:33PM
graylocks
I reshopped it on Hotwire just now which is a day before I leave and secured a car from Hertz for $364!

Take before-and-after pictures and have your rental papers handy just in case the cops show up.

[www.cbsnews.com]
[www.cnn.com]

Date: August 16, 2022 12:38PM
I don't do add on insurance.

Costco's May $600 quote was for a mid-size and they don't give you an option for a smaller car. Hotwire's $364 was for an economy (which is what you want to drive in CA) but oddly it was the same price through a mid-size.

Booking Costco today would have been a mid-size at $400. Hotwire shows prices with all taxes and fees also.

I take a video before and after every rental no matter who i'm renting from.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 16, 2022 12:43PM
Tiangou
graylocks
I reshopped it on Hotwire just now which is a day before I leave and secured a car from Hertz for $364!

Take before-and-after pictures and have your rental papers handy just in case the cops show up.

I'm avoiding Hertz for their ridiculous "report as theft" policies, but I think most of the issues come from extending reservations. A simple rent and return shouldn't be an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 12:43PM by Gareth.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 16, 2022 01:12PM
I do a similar thing for hotel rooms especially when I book far in advance. Use hotels.com mostly. I also will sometimes break up a stay in two separate reservations so I have sone flexibility to fly a day or two earlier or later. With hotels.com’s free cancellation up 24 hrs in advance, it can work out.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 16, 2022 02:33PM
graylocks
Hotwire's $364 was for an economy (which is what you want to drive in CA)

Because of our gas prices here?

It is what it is.
Date: August 16, 2022 02:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
graylocks

yep.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 16, 2022 04:57PM
graylocks
N-OS X-tasy!
graylocks

yep.

Well, rent an EV.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 16, 2022 05:38PM
Speedy

Well, rent an EV.

There are very few free charging stations in the Bay Area though where i'm staying for this trip is EV friendly and even solar powered. I've checked plugshare because I'm going to spend a few months out there at the end of the year and i was thinking about taking my Volt. For a number of reasons, the lack of free charging being one of them, I will be taking my Honda Element for that trip.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 16, 2022 06:28PM
I worked a short stint for Alamo Rental Car, as a teen. People would often call reservations—this was back when people made calls to other people—while standing in line. They'd either beat the rack rate as a walk-up or beat their existing reservation and cancel it on the spot, since it wasn't prepaid.

In regards to the "mystery car" option, rental agencies rarely have much control over stock, and you aren't guaranteed a particular car; there's an infamous Seinfeld episode that pokes fun at this fact. If they sell out of the one you booked, you get the next size up. We sometimes ran out of everything except Cadillac—our most expensive option. If you wanted an upgrade from your class, they made you pay for it, but everyone else got that same car for free.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure turo will eventually shutter a few of these rental agencies; it's like AirBnB for cars; they offer a significantly higher class of vehicle and in some circumstances might be cheaper than other rentals.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Date: August 16, 2022 06:37PM
Marc Anthony

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure turo will eventually shutter a few of these rental agencies; it's like AirBnB for cars; they offer a significantly higher class of vehicle and in some circumstances might be cheaper than other rentals.

I've checked Turo a few times in the last year. the problem with it for me is that i need airport pick up and drop off. they charge extra for that and when all is said is done it winds up being just as expensive as renting from the usual suspects. i've mainly searched in the SF Bay Area.

Posted by: August West
Date: August 16, 2022 06:41PM
I do car rental and short hotel stays thru Costco. I do re-shop as close as possible to departure; car rentals usually stay with Costco, but I've found better last minute hotel rates for the exact same booking.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: chopper
Date: August 16, 2022 08:37PM
My neighbor flew to Bay in June, was surfing CL and FB for used cars before hand, and basically worked a deal over the phone to buy a used mini van. He was out there for six weeks. One week before he was to return he started ads selling the van for cash and when he had a serious buyer he explained he'd need the van until day of departure. Worked like a treat as he was able to leave the title "open" when he bought it. He made $2000 after everything. For sure not for everyone.
Date: August 17, 2022 11:16AM
chopper
My neighbor flew to Bay in June, was surfing CL and FB for used cars before hand, and basically worked a deal over the phone to buy a used mini van. He was out there for six weeks. One week before he was to return he started ads selling the van for cash and when he had a serious buyer he explained he'd need the van until day of departure. Worked like a treat as he was able to leave the title "open" when he bought it. He made $2000 after everything. For sure not for everyone.

Assuming "Bay" means Bay Area in California, this sounds super sketchy without additional details.

In CA, the seller is supposed to notify the DMV of the sale within 5 days, and the buyer has 10 days to register the vehicle with the DMV.

Since the title was left "open" I assume that means no buyer information was put on it initially. The seller probably didn't notify the DMV, thus the seller would be on the hook for anything that happened in that 6 weeks, i.e. parking tickets, red light cameras, potentially hit and runs, etc. Or, at least it would make for a headache for the seller to get out of those things.

Then, your neighbor, since they didn't register it, didn't pay taxes on it. Did they put it on their insurance? If they have an existing vehicle insured, there would likely be a grace period depending on the insurer (i.e. they might cover a used purchase for X days without you notifying them, but 6 weeks?). They might have insured it, as the insurer may not care that it's not in their name yet.

So, in theory, if everyone is ok with handshake agreements, this could work, but it seems like there are so many ways it could go wrong, I wouldn't bother for 6 weeks. If it was a few months, then maybe, and do it properly.
Posted by: Kludgy Thingy
Date: August 18, 2022 03:32AM
This worked once for me but haven't tried it lately: [www.autoslash.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020