Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
American Airlines buys 20 supersonic Overture planes from Boom Aviation
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 16, 2022 12:42PM
[www.nbcnews.com]

American Airlines on Tuesday said that it has ordered 20 supersonic planes, aircrafts that can carry passengers at twice the speed of today’s fastest commercial aircraft.

American has become the third major airline to announce a supersonic order from Boom Aviation in Denver, following in the footsteps of Japan Airlines in 2017 and United Airlines in 2021.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: American Airlines buys 20 supersonic Overture planes from Boom Aviation
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 16, 2022 01:13PM
Over-the oceans but not Over-land.
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 16, 2022 01:16PM
Overture planes are slated to roll out in 2025 and put passengers in the air by 2029, according to a news release from American, which did not disclose how much the company paid for 20 planes.

Lots of cool pictures illustrations and info here: Boom Supersonic

Northern California Coast
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 16, 2022 01:27PM
Figure 25% of the passengers = 4x the cost at a minimum. Lifestyles of the rich and famous only need apply.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 16, 2022 01:50PM
MikeF
Figure 25% of the passengers = 4x the cost at a minimum. Lifestyles of the rich and famous only need apply.

I suspect they're aiming for lower operating cost than Concorde... Because they know that's really what killed Concorde.
Not saying it'll have an "economy" class - it won't... but, I think we'll see less than 4x the cost of, say, Business Class. Probably more like 2x.
Or they won't sell many...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 16, 2022 04:07PM
Now they can lose your luggage even faster.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 16, 2022 04:20PM
From what I remember about Boom was that they were trying to design out the 'boom' so it could fly over land.

On a somewhat related note, The NBA's Seattle Supersonics got their name from Boeing's attempt at building a Super-Sonic Transport (SST). It nearly bankrupted the company. The FAA conducted tests to determine how annoying sonic booms would be to population centers. They used OKC as the test city. The results were that after 30 days of non-stop sonic booms the population was near angry mob status. The FAA killed the idea of allowing supersonic transport over population centers and this, in addition to the staggering debt, killed Boeing's SST plan. The basketball team's name remained however...until they relocated ironically to OKC.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 16, 2022 05:26PM
ztirffritz
From what I remember about Boom was that they were trying to design out the 'boom' so it could fly over land.

On a somewhat related note, The NBA's Seattle Supersonics got their name from Boeing's attempt at building a Super-Sonic Transport (SST). It nearly bankrupted the company. The FAA conducted tests to determine how annoying sonic booms would be to population centers. They used OKC as the test city. The results were that after 30 days of non-stop sonic booms the population was near angry mob status. The FAA killed the idea of allowing supersonic transport over population centers and this, in addition to the staggering debt, killed Boeing's SST plan. The basketball team's name remained however...until they relocated ironically to OKC.

I wasn't aware of that interconnected history and Oklahoma City getting revenge on those Northwesterners.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: August 16, 2022 06:05PM
I'm not so sure I would ride in a Boom plane.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 16, 2022 07:21PM
Plane go boom?
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 16, 2022 10:59PM
Great; now Pandemics can spread worldwide at twice the speed (maybe even faster). facepalm
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 17, 2022 02:25AM
Hopefully travel on these will have an appropriate level of carbon tax applied as well... even if operating costs are minimized fuel usage will still be several times the amount of a conventional jetliner carrying an equivalent number of passengers. Air travel is one of the industries that just does not have a path to carbon neutrality.

g=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020