advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is there an LED version of this? UPDATED with Pictures.
Posted by: gadje
Date: August 16, 2022 06:41PM
[www.amazon.com]

120V
50W Equivalent
BA15D Base/Socket
2700-3500 K Color temp
Beam pointing forward, not only radial (around)
Dimmable: not required
Length: 1 7/8" (48 mm) or less

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 06:09PM by gadje.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: is there an LED version of this?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 16, 2022 06:51PM
The Amazon link is supposed to be what? An example of the base? The size? Because it doesn't match some of the other specs you also posted (i.e. "Beam pointing forward").

Do you want an LED that is that shape (cylindrical), but only points forward? I.e. a spotlight, but without the typical wider front?
Date: August 16, 2022 06:56PM
Yes, base and size.

I want to avoid a pattern like this that seems to emit light around but I am not sure how much light goes "forward". These will be hanging above a bar, and I need to see what I am drinking/eating at that bar, I have other lights for the room.

[www.amazon.com]

I actually bought these, but they are too large and also, I don't like 6000K color.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 16, 2022 07:49PM
A few possibilities, don't know if it'll work for your particular light fixture (size limitation?):

"180 Lumen output. Comparable to a 40 Watt incandescent. 3 Watt power consumption. 300 mA current consumption. Available in warm white 2700-3300 Kelvin only. 30 Degree viewing angle. BA15D base. Operating voltage 120V AC. This LED measures approximately 3 inches by 1.91 inches."

Alternatively, convert to standard Edison bases and use readily available Edison-base bulbs:

Candelabra

E26
Date: August 17, 2022 11:22AM
I'm not sure you'll find anything that has the LED's pointed ONLY "forward" as most manufacturers are trying their best to mimic the 360ยบ output of a true halogen (though I did see some options on AliExpress out of China, but didn't see anything in warm white).

So, I'm assuming the fixture these are going in doesn't have any sort of reflector.

But there should be some options that have LED's on the top as well as around the side, and some of those will have a projector lens on the top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 01:42PM by Gareth.
Date: August 17, 2022 01:40PM
Here are some ideas that might work, in the 500 lumen range. I think a 50W halogen might put out more like 600 (maybe 750) lumens, but all the LEDs I've found that fit that lumen range have been too big.

1142 seems to be an equivalent "automotive" bulb number and seemed to give more search results.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 03:32PM by Gareth.
Date: August 17, 2022 01:54PM
This one claims to be 800 lumens (always take LED lumen ratings with a grain of salt):

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 03:32PM by Gareth.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 17, 2022 02:17PM
Need more info about the desired light profile. Some small PAR bulbs might work but I am not sure about the real final goal. How about string lights with reflectors, or maybe landscape projector bulbs?

I think the bayonet bulbs might be too much of a niche product.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 17, 2022 02:51PM
? - can you use a 12-24V DC bulb in a 120V (presumably AC) fixture?
(just wondering why those are being suggested)
Date: August 17, 2022 03:32PM
SDGuy
? - can you use a 12-24V DC bulb in a 120V (presumably AC) fixture?
(just wondering why those are being suggested)

Haha, no. I got stuck on the size, missed the voltage and incorrectly assumed it was a low voltage fixture (i.e. transformer built-in).
Date: August 17, 2022 06:07PM
Here are some pictures of the working fixture. The other one needs new bulb.

Date: August 17, 2022 06:09PM
is it 120V folks, no low voltage. I had some spare bulbs, I ran out, before I buy more incandescents, I would like to convert to LED.

To the best of my knowledge, except a light fixture in an attic, which is on only 10 min per year, I think these are the last 2 incandescent bulbs left in this house. Everything else is LED, and 4 Fluorescent lights in the basement.
Date: August 17, 2022 06:54PM
uh - yeah, given the physical size and 120V requirements, I don't think you'll find a form-fit-function LED replacement.
It's the 120V that does it - that means converting to DC, and space for the circuitry to do so.
Re: is there an LED version of this? UPDATED with Pictures.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 17, 2022 08:23PM
Very nice decor you have there.

It's been my experience when trying to hunt for something difficult to find like this, that it's best to look by Google image search and see if there's something that LOOKS right, then check and see if they have the right mount / voltage / etc.

Do any of these look decent?: [www.google.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: August 18, 2022 03:22PM
Hmm... height seems to be enemy here. There seem to be "sewing machine" LEDs that would fit the height, but are much lower lumens than a 50W halogen. Anything that can match the brightness of a halogen is over 2" in height. So, if there's a little extra space between the current bulb and the grid, or if the grid is removable, you might find something. Since you have a reflector, I wouldn't be too concerned with the "forward" facing light, since the halogen works by reflecting some of the light down from the reflector (although as the bulb gets taller, including the base of the LED, the reflector might not be as effective).

200 Lumen "Sewing" Bulb: [www.amazon.com]

1.93" "40W" Sewing Bulb: [www.amazon.com]

2.20" "50W-75W" "600-650" Lumen Sewing Bulb: [www.amazon.com]

"Spot light" bulbs in BA15D don't seem to be common. There are adapters from BA15D to 2 pin G4 base, where spot lights seem more common, but I think all of that would stick out farther than the grate and look weird.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 18, 2022 06:22PM
It might take completely redoing the bulb and fixture, but the puck out of a recessed hallway light might work. This is 6" diameter though.

https: //www.1000bulbs.com/product/216861/PLT-11665.html

The other product line that could work is a PAR38 bulb, but it would be a little bulkier. There are some spotlights that are very small, but I am not sure how to mount them in a similar looking fixture.
https: //www.1000bulbs.com/product/221155/PLTS-12095.html

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020