advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got bit by the niggling Wordle Gnome today....
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 20, 2022 03:11AM
While playing one of the "unlimited" Wordle app games on ye olde tablet earlier,
I was presented w/ the following;

Using a standard starting sequence gave me.....
R A T E S
L I N G O

So I think to myself, "Great, oh shit(!) it's gotta be either 'GREET' or 'EGRET'...."
No biofeedback, or other possible info to help discern the solve.
It's truly a real life mental coin flip.
Do I go with the Laguna Beach Greeter...?       or hal's Sacto wetlands' Egrets?

Since you know by the title, that the niggling Wordle Gnome bit me, I went with....

R A T E S
L I N G O
G R E E T
E G R E T

I lost my mental coin toss.
Darn.
Could I have done better?
Yes.
Had I started w/ any one of the "AELST" triplets; SLATE, STALE, or STEAL....
and then followed it w/ the muscle no one likes to pull; GROIN....
What woulda happened?
S L A T E
G R
O I N

Same 10 letters, just rearranged into 2 different words, that yield similar colored feedback;
same 4 good letters, but this time 0 (none) in the right position....,

but the by sheer luck of the "G" being in the first position of its word, that eliminates "GREET" as a possible solve.....

Leaving only "EGRET" for the solution.
No mental coin flip needed.
S L A T E
G R
O I N
E G R E T

Making it an easy 3 banger.

What does all this mean?
Wordle, like many/most logic based puzzles can often be solved in more than one statistically similar way. By simply moving the same 10 letters around into different positions in two different starting words, the different feedback you get from feeding the puzzle essentially the same information in two (or more) different/random ways, can make all the difference in the speed/ease of the solve. That's why I swap up starting sequences, just to keep it interesting, shake things up a bit, and hopefully catch a lucky solve here and there.

Heck, if y'all invoke a tag team strategy, swapping feedback after each word, you'd be solving Wordles quickly, in shorter order than you ever thought possible. Add a third team member and use "ISLET" and "ORGAN" (or "GROAN") for the same 10 starting letters in two more different words.... though not as statistically robust w/ their lead off vowels, they would have actually been the best choice for the puzzle at issue's solve; in that the "ET" in 'ISLET' woulda been green to start with, and the "R" from the "RG" in 'ORGAN' would've eliminated 'GREET', which would've essentially forced the "G" from the "RG" in 'ORGAN' into only the second character position in the solve's word, spoon feeding you the last four letters, "GRET", of the solve. (Yes, "GROAN" woulda been just >||< that much more obvious.)

No, I'm not gonna bother ya w/ "NOTES" (or "STONE", or "ONSET") and "GRAIL", or any add'l combos here, so you won't have bother your in-laws to be in your new Wordle Club, but hopefully this will help spark some added joy into your daily Wordle addiction.
(In this example, "ONSET" and "GRAIL" woulda been exactly the same a using "ISLET" and "GROAN".)

Seriously, can y'all believe it took all this time to finally get "groin" and "organ", and even a bonus "groan" in the same post here in MRF?
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got bit by the niggling Wordle Gnome today....
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 20, 2022 06:30AM
Big fan of Wordle. Have friends who text me their results each morning.

If you really want to have steam come out your ears, try

Quordle

You can hit the Practice button repeatedly to do it multiple times a day.

If you get stuck, or want to play multiple games quickly, you can use these helper sites:

WordFinderX

WordDetector

Amazing how many times my brain will go "there's no way a word can begin with XXX, and then sure enough, there is. The game forces you to look at language more closely. Yesterday, I had SRY but in the wrong spots, and my mind couldn't imagine that they would all go together. There are, in fact, only two 5-letter words that have SYR together: syrup and syrah (a type of grape). The other brain twister was putting together five-letter words that have SHR in them (just four: shred, shrew, shrub, shrug).

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 20, 2022 11:10AM
How did you rule out "TRUED"?
Date: August 20, 2022 12:58PM
datbeme
How did you rule out "TRUED"?

Rule out "TRUED" as/for a what?
==
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 20, 2022 03:15PM
Wordle 427 2/6

Ok now youve made it too easy. wink smiley
Date: August 20, 2022 10:21PM
tuq- the combination of my database developer think, and OCD logic -> aka "Blogic*", makes Wordle my natural born antagonist....
There's no way I'm gonna let that sucker beat me. Ever.
Solving Wordles is fairly simple; there are many groups of word choices made from the most popular/frequently used letters that can hone in on the solution.
As you note, getting a handle on the language is paramount.

At some point, I'll keep spilling my guts as to more/as many as possible how's and why's of what makes Blogic work. In the most basic terms, solving Wordle means eliminating as many possible wrong solutions, while at the same time paring down the number of as many possible right solutions. The feedback you get from each attempt dictates what your next choice should be; the word that eliminates as many possible wrong solutions AND pares down the number of as many possible right solutions.

*Blogic = Buzz's Logic
cool smiley
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020