advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's YOUR doc say about 81mg aspirin
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 22, 2022 10:57PM
When I last talked to my doc this summer he suggested continuing taking my daily 81mg aspirin. I had a heart rhythm problem a couple of decades ago but that has long gone and I am in good health now.

Wife's doctor just recommended that she stop taking aspirin because of the reports that it might do more harm than good. Other than her memory issues and being a little low on calcium she is in good health.

What is your doc recommending for you? Obviously the recommendation will vary depending of specific circumstances, but I'm curious what our little group is doing these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's YOUR doc say about 81mg aspirin
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 22, 2022 11:06PM
My doc suggested it once. I have high cholesterol, but no known heart disease or a strong family history of same. Shortly after that a big new study came out saying it probably isn't a good idea to take it without a specific issue to address, due to the bleed risk. He hasn't brought it up since. I don't intend to take it even if he does bring it up again, at least for now.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 22, 2022 11:37PM
Our doc told us it was up to us, but recommended we stop as we have no issues that it would resolve. Wife has already had one instance of a bleeding ulcer with no definitive cause found (before all the 81mg studies were published), so we're going without.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 23, 2022 12:04AM
my Doc has always had me split the difference - take one every other day
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 23, 2022 01:18AM
Mine said 'since your over 65 it probably won't matter', sorrta' like what the my urologist said about yearly prostate exams.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: August 23, 2022 06:32AM
One a day, every day, since I had the stent put in 4 years ago.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 23, 2022 07:52AM
Don,

My heart doc told me to continue taking it after I brought up the"new risk theory".

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 23, 2022 07:59AM
My cardiologist said he was advising all his patients to disregard the warning and keep taking it.

JoeM
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 23, 2022 08:33AM
My doc said since I had been taking it for awhile, I should keep taking it.

My youngest aunt was taking aspirin. She ran out so she decided acetaminophen would do until she had time to go to the store. A week later she had a stroke, then a year later died.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 08:35AM by Speedy.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 23, 2022 09:30AM
Mine pointed out some additional benefits with respect to colon cancer, but left it up to me. Since I'm already on a blood thinner, a second one didn't make much sense.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 23, 2022 09:39AM
raz
Mine pointed out some additional benefits with respect to colon cancer, but left it up to me. Since I'm already on a blood thinner, a second one didn't make much sense.

These are different types of blood thinners - antiplatelet (primarily arterial) vs antithrombotic (primarily venous).

But regardless, aspirin was never shown to have benefits for primary prevention and even for secondary, number needed to treat to prevent an event is really high.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 23, 2022 09:43AM
I'd defer to the studies and not to individual doctors who may know you but may not be up to date on the latest reports. I'm always suspect that doctors are not one for changing course, as it would then appear that previous prescriptions were incorrect.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2022 09:47AM
My doctor and I discussed it. Tried it. I was suddenly bruising - Which is SUPER unusual for me. I discontinued.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 23, 2022 12:31PM
mrbigstuff
I'd defer to the studies and not to individual doctors who may know you but may not be up to date on the latest reports. I'm always suspect that doctors are not one for changing course, as it would then appear that previous prescriptions were incorrect.

It’s also a risk to malpractice insurance if the person d/c aspirin and then has an adverse event that could be related.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 25, 2022 09:45AM
My cardiologist told me to stop taking it. New studies were showing that the aspirin wasn't helping.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 28, 2022 08:10PM
Once I was having unexplained dizzy spells and they were afraid it could be calcification of the carotid artery but in the end it wasn't so they took me off the aspirin.

It seems to be going out of favor unless you have very specific issues and even then, often they will prescribe other blood thinners (because why give something cheap and effective when you can feed Big Pharma?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020