advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Interesting Dash Cam Comparison
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 26, 2022 04:00AM
What can you get for under $100, how do they compare to more expensive models, and why isn't there a bigger difference?

[www.youtube.com]

Also, why doesn't GoPro branch out into the dash cam market?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Interesting Dash Cam Comparison
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 26, 2022 06:52AM
Thrift Store Scott
What can you get for under $100, how do they compare to more expensive models, and why isn't there a bigger difference?

[www.youtube.com]

That's a good question. They already have the tech.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 26, 2022 08:04AM
Thats a pretty good review although the first 2/3s of the video can be skipped. I'm not sure that I agree that i means that only cheaper cameras are worthwhile, but one should have a better idea of what you're buying.

It should be clear why dashcam makers aren't innovating on the camera - there's no money in it for them. Its expensive to actually make cameras. Of course they're going to innovate on everything else. And yes, reading a license plate at speed at night is a difficult problem to solve.

I recently decided not to upgrade my 2017 blackvue as I decided there wasn't enough image quality gain. Now I know why.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 26, 2022 08:43AM
Matt,

I think what people need to realize is that image quality is just one of many factors to consider when purchasing a dashcam. Reading a license plate at speed at night is important. So are reliability in hot and cold temperatures. So is the quality of the system for powering it on and off normally when a car turns on and is turned off as well as briefly when a vehicle is parked (and gets hit by something). Same goes for other features such the interface of the cam, whether or not it can be used with a rear-facing came. You get the idea.

It's best to start with the absolute basics, which is covered well by this site:

[www.blackboxmycar.com]

They discuss premium features, too:

[www.blackboxmycar.com]

Robert
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 26, 2022 04:53PM
Thrift Store Scott

[www.youtube.com]

thanks for this! I've had my suspicions about these. I also agree that GoPro or another company would have the market if they could operate at 12v.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 26, 2022 05:31PM
mrbigstuff
I also agree that GoPro or another company would have the market if they could operate at 12v.

Most dash cams actually run off of USB, which is what GoPro uses to charge also.

All they'd need to do is add proper "full card" loop recording and automatic recording and on/off. Most actually have some form of loop recording already, but it'll be limited to something like an hour so it doesn't work well in a dash cam scenario.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 26, 2022 05:54PM
I didn't like the review at all. I think they should have added a $90 4K action camera to the comparison.

A noted, most action cameras use USB voltage inputs and don't use overwrite loop recording. That might be possible to change by hacking a dashcam firmware into an action camera.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 27, 2022 10:36AM
Apparently GoPro actually has an "experimental" firmware division, GoPro Labs. So, on later models, you can have "USB Power" triggers to start/stop recording, but there is no mention of full card loop recording which would also be necessary for a "set it and forget it" dash cam style setup.

[community.gopro.com]

"MAX" loop recording is now an option in the default firmware. MAX refers to using the whole card before overwriting, so with the GoPro Labs firmware, using a GoPro as a dash cam looks like it would actually work.

[community.gopro.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2022 10:40AM by Gareth.
Date: August 27, 2022 11:12AM
Now I want to try out the GoPro MAX (360) as a dash cam, since the selection of 360 dash cams is nearly non existent. Although my experience with 360 (I've used a Garmin 360 cam as a "bike" dash cam) is that it's great for understanding what happened, but not great for details (since the resolution is covering the entire 360 degree image).
Date: August 27, 2022 12:21PM
Gareth
Now I want to try out the GoPro MAX (360) as a dash cam, since the selection of 360 dash cams is nearly non existent. Although my experience with 360 (I've used a Garmin 360 cam as a "bike" dash cam) is that it's great for understanding what happened, but not great for details (since the resolution is covering the entire 360 degree image).

I hadn't thought about that before. How hard is it to isolate or focus on a 90 degree or so segment of the 360 degree recording for playback of just that segment?

I was thinking a four-channel loop recording box not unlike the "black box" in an aircraft with four separate cameras, front, rear, and both sides, would be the way to go. That way the box could be mounted remotely with just the relatively small cameras themselves in the windows. Some (All?) Teslas use a four camera setup like that.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: August 27, 2022 12:43PM
Usually, the 360 action cams have an app that lets you choose various modes (full 360, "tiny world" or a flat section of the video).

But a 360 camera inside the car would be best if you want interior recording (i.e. to prove you weren't distracted, or if you need to record passengers), with some ability to see what was happening through the side and rear windows (but those angles will be obstructed by the interior of the car and distance from the camera).

For an "exterior 360" view, I think 4 separate cameras would be the best option. I haven't seen a lot of "black box" solutions (there are some, but I think the resolution might be limited). I have grand plans of using 2 front/rear setups and putting the "rear" cameras in a side window instead (i.e. front and left, rear and right), or you could do front/rear, left/right, but a lot of dual cams have a lower quality rear camera. But of course, there are placement issues with the side cameras. If you have a sedan, there might not be a place to put it, and in a wagon/van/SUV, the rear cargo area windows might be the best place since putting them on a door window would mean mounting it on the window frame so that it doesn't impact a roll down window and running the wiring through the door wiring loom.
Date: August 28, 2022 09:03AM
I was pondering the "Where to mount the side view cameras?" question too. The best I came up with was on the "B" pillar inside, looking through the upper forward corner of the rear door window. It's a good, firm place to mount, although not interfering with the sliding upper anchors for the front passenger's seatbelts could be a challenge.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 28, 2022 12:59PM
Thrift Store Scott
I was pondering the "Where to mount the side view cameras?" question too. The best I came up with was on the "B" pillar inside, looking through the upper forward corner of the rear door window. It's a good, firm place to mount, although not interfering with the sliding upper anchors for the front passenger's seatbelts could be a challenge.

I've got a wagon, so become c-pillar for me. You folks are convincing me to get them (already have front facing that's saved my butt in 2 crashes).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020