Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
T-mobile to use Starlink for network connectivity
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 26, 2022 05:07AM
Followup to: [forums.macresource.com]

Aug 25 (Reuters) - U.S wireless carrier T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.O) will use Elon Musk-owned SpaceX's Starlink satellites to provide mobile users with network access in parts of the United States, the companies announced on Thursday, outlining plans to connect users' mobile phones directly to satellites in orbit.

The new plans, which would exist alongside T-mobile's existing cellular services, would cut out the need for cell towers and offer service for sending texts and images where cell coverage does not currently exist, key for emergency situations in remote areas.

The system will rely on the next generation of Starlink satellites which will have larger antennas allowing them to use customers' existing phones. However, those satellites will not be deployed until SpaceX can launch them from its new Starship rocket.

The new service is not planned to be operational until the end of 2023.

[www.reuters.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: T-mobile to use Starlink for network connectivity
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 26, 2022 08:04AM
That...sounds pretty cool, actually, if you enjoy travel away from population centers. I'm all for being off the grid when on vacation, but it's always good to have means to summon help in remote places.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 26, 2022 08:08AM
This isn't necessarily a good thing. Many times it is the cellphone towers that bring fiber into rural areas. The wireless carriers pay to have the fiber run to a remote area and then everyone around them benefits. With this, they will just plop a dish down and everyone else in the community will have to do the same. Good for Starlink I guess.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 26, 2022 09:13AM
SpaceX recently posted plans to the FCC that they were planning to launch modified Gen2 StarLink satellites on Falcon9. I wonder if those will have this feature as well. Starship is likely a long way from regular service. I'd guess 2 years. They'll probably have a few launches from Boca Chica but it won't be until the launch facility at KSC is finished that Starship will really, ahem, take off.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 26, 2022 09:28AM
....if you use this, will you then be more prone to having a lot of children.....procreating.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 26, 2022 02:12PM
C(-)ris
This isn't necessarily a good thing. Many times it is the cellphone towers that bring fiber into rural areas. The wireless carriers pay to have the fiber run to a remote area and then everyone around them benefits. With this, they will just plop a dish down and everyone else in the community will have to do the same. Good for Starlink I guess.

I could show you HUNDREDS of cases here locally, where places within SIGHT of that fiber-served cell tower have no internet service (and ironically, the cell service is so bad that it's unusable for a hotspot).

Starlink is a HUGE step towards people ACTUALLY HAVING internet.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 30, 2022 05:47PM
Paul F.
C(-)ris

I could show you HUNDREDS of cases here locally, where places within SIGHT of that fiber-served cell tower have no internet service (and ironically, the cell service is so bad that it's unusable for a hotspot).

Starlink is a HUGE step towards people ACTUALLY HAVING internet.

I don't disagree, however, I think that if you can see fiber that is the problem to fix, not installing a dish. The Dish is absolutely perfect for places that will never get built out with traditional medium.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020