advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how to grill a steak?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 26, 2022 04:06PM
Supermarket had "Black Angus Sirloin Tip Boneless Steak" in the clearance bin this afternoon, so I bought two. But now what? It's a gorgeous day in Chicago, and my building has a gas grill—but I normally do burgers and Italian sausage. I know nothing about how to grill a steak so it's tender and flavorful. I have gathered from reading that cooking it well done and putting ketchup on it is not the favored preparation.

I figured this would be a topic many forum members would have opinions about.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how to grill a steak?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 26, 2022 04:21PM
Medium Rare FTW...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 26, 2022 04:25PM
IMO, the *most* important thing is to have the steak as close to "room temp" as possible. not all the way, but whatever you do, don't throw it straight from fridge to fry pan or grill. I know this is anathema to most people, as they just see it crawling in bacteria in the 60 minutes it takes to achieve this, but it's essentially the only way to cook beef.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 26, 2022 04:33PM
how to grill a steak?
1) Take out a bank loan to buy one
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 26, 2022 04:38PM
I suggest you consider the reverse sear method: [www.seriouseats.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 26, 2022 04:40PM
1. Turn the spotlight.
2. Tell the steak "You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to have an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, an attorney will be appointed for you."
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 26, 2022 04:52PM
anonymouse1
1. Turn the spotlight.
2. Tell the steak "You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to have an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, an attorney will be appointed for you."

That's not grilling a steak, that's reading it it's rights.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 26, 2022 04:57PM
on the grill I keep it simple. Season and cook at 600 degrees. Monitor internal temperature. A simple marinade is nice and works on steak or ribs.
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2Tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic
1.5tsp Fresh Ginger
2Tbsp Rice Wine
1Tbsp. Sesame Oil
1/2 cup Shoyu
1/4 cup Water

More often I use this method (be prepared for some smoke):

Pan-Seared Rib-Eye
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown Total Time: 15 min
Prep: 10 min Cook: 5 min

Ingredients
1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
Canola oil, to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Directions
Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Bring the steak to room temperature.

When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes. Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.

Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes.

Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 26, 2022 05:19PM
-If you have a sous vide, go that route then sear it on the grill for 45 seconds on each side.
-If you have an air fryer, 400 degrees for 5 minutes a side, then sear it as above.
-Neither of the above? the reverse sear method works very well.
otherwise, on the grill and monitor internal temp to 135.

Want to add some flavor and have 2 days? hit it with salt, then put it on a rack in the refrigerator uncovered for two days. The salt will dry out some moisture giving it a dry-aged taste.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 26, 2022 05:25PM
Hot pan
Sear both sides
Put into hot oven to cook
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 26, 2022 06:39PM
N-OS X-tasy!
anonymouse1
1. Turn the spotlight.

That's not grilling a steak, that's reading it it's rights.

Yeah, if you haven't beaten er, tenderized it with a hose, you haven't "grilled it". wink smiley

Sous Vide is GREAT way to cook beef if you have a Sous Vide device. Othewise, DO let it sit on a plate on the kitchen counter for 30 ~ 60 minutes BEFORE cooking. Course salt is often liberally applied to the entire steak while it "sits" (don't worry, you won't taste the salt after cooking).
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 26, 2022 06:46PM
How thick are the steaks?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 26, 2022 07:48PM
I've tried sous vide a number of times but IMO the best way to cook a steak is just toss it on the grill over high heat and take it off when a temp probe reads 135-140°F.

Best done with a flavorful cut such as ribeye. Pan sear is better for more mild cuts that would benefit from butter and garlic.

Oh, no matter what you do, salt your steak and leave it in the fridge for a day or two. Helps remove moisture and allow salt to penetrate.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 26, 2022 08:08PM
Reverse sear

Light one side of the grille, to about 200F

If you have a cast iron, put that directly over the fire.

Put the steaks, room temp, salt and peppered on the opposite side, so they slowly get to 100/110F Internal.

When they get there, turn the burners at the hot side to max, put your preferred oil on the cast iron and drop the steaks on there. They will sizzle for 1-2 minutes, then flip and sizzle for another 1-2 minutes.

Enjoy with. a dark beer or red wine!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 26, 2022 08:22PM
I'm going to try Rolando's method. I no longer eat steak, but my kids will scarf that down.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 26, 2022 09:23PM
N-OS is on the money, if not sous-vide. Do it.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 26, 2022 09:31PM
Allow it to reach room temperature.
Apply salt and pepper.
Put it on the grill. Flip after the bottom appears nicely browned.
Check with an instant read thermometer.
When it reads 130-135 degrees in the center, take it off the fire, and cover with foil.
Leave it alone for 10-15 minutes.

Now it's ready to eat.

Anything else is an overcomplication. Not saying some of those other methods can't make a very nice steak... but, salt and pepper and fire, cooked to 130-135 in the middle and is properly rested; that is a perfectly good steak.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 26, 2022 10:35PM
Thank you, Paul F.

Still trying to figure out the people whose gas grills come with sous vide capability. Ours is a more basic model.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 26, 2022 11:51PM
How to gril a steak....

Buy 4 X ~1#/ea NY Strip steaks (for Mothers' Day 2022)
Salt and pepper and allow to come up (close) to room temp
Rub w/ secret blend of of spices (#1)
Cook to perfection (#2)
Cover and rest
Slice (#3) (so you don't wolf down the steak down too fast)
Serve and eat.... (#4)
(but save the 4th steak for leftovers the following couple of days)
cool smiley
Oh, and if possible have better lighting for final photo(s)....
--Our dining area is poorly lit, and we can never take the time to bring out the good lights for food pics
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 27, 2022 06:57AM
....don't like others....gettin' all up in my....grillz......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 27, 2022 12:06PM
Need a report on how it turned out!!!

I did forget to mention the importances of resting the steak.

You could always use a toaster!

[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: rz
Date: August 27, 2022 12:57PM
Mr Downtown
I have gathered from reading that cooking it well done and putting ketchup on it is not the favored preparation.

Please tell my FIL this. It’s apparently the only way he knows how to eat beef, venison, pork, etc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 27, 2022 02:51PM
Buzz
How to gril a steak....

Buy 4 X ~1#/ea NY Strip steaks (for Mothers' Day 2022)
Salt and pepper and allow to come up (close) to room temp
Rub w/ secret blend of of spices (#1)
Cook to perfection (#2)
Cover and rest
Slice (#3) (so you don't wolf down the steak down too fast)
Serve and eat.... (#4)
(but save the 4th steak for leftovers the following couple of days)
cool smiley
Oh, and if possible have better lighting for final photo(s)....
--Our dining area is poorly lit, and we can never take the time to bring out the good lights for food pics
==

Ahhhh. The secret blend.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: August 27, 2022 04:37PM
The only people that eat really rare steak believed restaurant cooks that don't want to take time to cook a steak . Might as well just blast it with a aceytalene torch to blacken the outside .
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 27, 2022 06:00PM
srf1957
The only people that eat really rare steak believed restaurant cooks that don't want to take time to cook a steak . Might as well just blast it with a aceytalene torch to blacken the outside .

My buddy Bill would disagree with you... while he eats his "blow it's nose, wipe it's ass, and put it on the plate" rare steak. I'll eat it ALMOST as rare as he gets it, but, I prefer a little more brown on the outside, and a little less shine on the inside.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 28, 2022 09:15PM
Well, that was quite a disappointment, after anticipating it for days and having a guest for dinner. Reminded me of why I've never understood the appeal of steak. Tasted good—but way too much chewing for the quantity of umami.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 29, 2022 01:19PM
srf1957

I definitely prefer it rare. Searing outside kills any bacteria that may be there, apart from giving it the nice scorched flavor. The rest is safe to eat and, in my and my wife's opinion, bleu is best for some cuts (sirloin, tenderloin), while rare/medium rare is better for more marbled ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2022 01:30PM by dk62.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: August 29, 2022 02:09PM
The easiest way to perfect steak. Doesn't matter how thick or thin. If you have a sous vide device, use that. If not and you have an instant pot, you can use that. I put the steaks after rubbing them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper into a ziplock bag, submerge it in the water in the instant pot to get air out and then seal the bag. Put the pot on the warm setting and let it go for a couple hours or 6 hours, doesn't matter. The minimum is about an hour for an inch of steak. The temp of the warm setting is about 130-135. The steaks will be perfectly cooked at this point, but they will be butt ugly, all grey and gross looking. Take them out, dry off, and use your large cast iron skillet with oil, heated up to very hot and then cook the steak on each side for about a minute. Pull it off the heat, let sit for at least 10 minutes and then slice up and serve. Perfect every time.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 31, 2022 12:33PM
I think (some/much of) Mr D's chewing issue may have been from using sirloin, rather than something w/ more marbling. For sirloin, give me a whole roast, and I'll cook it up nice and medium-rare, then get a deli-style meat slicer, and slice it thinly. As a steak, sirloin has a very, very narrow window of desirable eatability, which is just a hair past medium-rare...... a smidgen in either direction, and the chewies set in.

But, for a slice-em-up roast, your basic cut of round is usually a better buy. Sirloin makes excellent burgers; frankly, I think it makes for better burgers than it does for steaks. The sous vide thing can work for sirloins, but ya still gotta nail the cook on it. Also, the perfect eating cook on sirloins can (and does) vary from one steak to the next, so you can't just bank on the same specific target temp every time.... a few degrees off, and ya need that deli slicer, as the thin slices mitigate the chewies.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020