advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Before I ruin it more with Meguire's Scratch Eraser Kit...
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 30, 2022 09:03PM
...i thought I'd ask some advice here. I was gassing up the bike the other day and in the process of removing the gas cap, it slipped out of my hand and onto the gas tank. As luck would have it, it left a nice inch-long gouge in the tank. I hate to say it, but it looks deeper than a marring of the surface. I was tempted to try the Meguire's Scratch Eraser Kit on it, but if it's too deep am I just going to screw things up even worse? It worked well on a surface scratch on my car, but this looks a bit worse.

I don't trust myself to start breaking out multiple grades of sandpaper, touch-up paint or anything remotely elaborate. If you think the Meguire's is more likely to make it worse, I'll just live with the scratch or cover it with a decal or something (and curse myself every time I gas up).

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Before I ruin it more with Meguire's Scratch Eraser Kit...
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 30, 2022 09:22PM
Judging from the picture, it looks to me like that may be down to the metal, or at least the primer? You're going to need something to fill it. That is NOT going to buff out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2022 09:23PM by Acer.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 30, 2022 09:47PM
That will need sanding to metal, primer, feathered spraying, finish sanding and buffing. If it was mine, I'd probably just have the whole tank repainted. It would be the only way to guarantee making it invisible, especially with the large particles in the paint.

Date: August 30, 2022 09:58PM
Crap. I was kind of afraid that would be the case. Thanks for saving me the effort and mistake of likely making it worse. Time to save up the pennies if I want to have it done right.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: August 31, 2022 05:58AM
In the meantime, you could gently fill it with matching paint and lightly buff it so it’s level. You’ll still notice it, but it will look a lot better. I did this on my hood after a rock cut through the paint. Fortunately, it missed the windshield.
Date: August 31, 2022 06:22AM
zachdog
In the meantime, you could gently fill it with matching paint and lightly buff it so it’s level. You’ll still notice it, but it will look a lot better. I did this on my hood after a rock cut through the paint. Fortunately, it missed the windshield.

Funny you mention that. I was wondering if that might be a decent at least temporary solution. Might be worth investigating.Thanks.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 31, 2022 07:38AM
zachdog

I would try this.
With a light hand and gentle buffing, it should look better. It won’t be perfect, but it should look better.
If you get it professionally done later, they can just smooth out your repair and then paint over it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 31, 2022 08:29AM
Thanks. Any idea of what a pro would charge for something like this? Or would they just paint the whole tank? I noticed some scuffs on the front fender that could use some attention and I'm wondering if pros even deal with touch-ups. I haven't a clue about the cost for something like this. It's a 2005 and while it's in otherwise excellent condition, well.....it's a 2005 and frankly it will likely be the last bike I ever own.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 31, 2022 11:36AM
Maybe put a Spongebob Squarepants sticker over it?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 31, 2022 12:23PM
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Wait... sorry, wrong meme. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 31, 2022 01:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!

That's never the wrong meme...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 31, 2022 05:36PM
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!

That's never the wrong meme...

Can't wait for this movie to be released on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 61
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020