I have bailed out from California
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 01, 2022 04:55PM
I now live in Northern Virginia.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have bailed out from California
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 01, 2022 05:05PM
Don't worry, come tax time, California will still try to collect a pound of flesh on any money you even THOUGH about that was connected to California...

Congratulations on your escape!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 01, 2022 05:08PM
What happened?
Posted by: Maddog
Date: September 01, 2022 05:10PM
Virginia? Most folks just come up here to Oregon. :-)
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 01, 2022 05:28PM
Maddog

“ Welcome to Oregon, Now Go Home “
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 01, 2022 05:54PM
btfc
Maddog

Old Bumper sticker from decades ago--still appropriate.

Posted by: hal
Date: September 01, 2022 05:55PM
The problem of moving to Oregon is that the fires are up there now too
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 01, 2022 07:02PM
That heat really got to you, eh?

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 01, 2022 07:04PM
Made the same move 20 years ago.

Did not regret it.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 01, 2022 07:13PM
......with the raisins....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 01, 2022 07:15PM
I expect you'll have LOTS of "company" in said exodus.

People who are NOT a multimillionaires have a VERY hard time now. When the various "Fruits & Nuts" legislations roll in, things are going to get MUCH worse in LaLaLand (and that's only IF after the fires, mudslides, earthquakes, brownouts etc) anything is left . sad smiley

Last one out, turn off the lights (if in fact there are any working lights TO turn off).
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 01, 2022 07:22PM
Ken Sp.
btfc
Maddog

Old Bumper sticker from decades ago--still appropriate.

Oregon = California Jr.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 01, 2022 07:31PM
freeradical

Like in the D.C. area?
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 01, 2022 07:37PM
California, no one wants to live there, it's too crowded.

Welcome to eastern North American humidity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2022 07:37PM by Acer.
Date: September 01, 2022 07:43PM
freeradical

Sounds like exciting times my friend. Enjoy!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 01, 2022 08:37PM
Virginia is pretty.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 01, 2022 09:15PM
....and Virginia is for....lovers....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 01, 2022 09:35PM
Posted by: davester
Date: September 01, 2022 11:06PM
Fine with me. California would be even more wonderful than it is with a few less people.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 01, 2022 11:44PM
The weather in NoVa can be pretty bad. Summer with what I call 100 100. 100 degrees and 100% humidity can as bad or worse then anything in SoCal. Spent some years in Arlington and ne dc and nw dc. Went through the horrendous cold for Reagan’s innagural, when they moved it in landover center. That being said, I like the dc metro area and even own property still.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 02, 2022 05:28AM
freeradical

Vauge.

How far from DeeCee?

Near 81 or 95.

Did you make it far enough away from DC to find some shade and a breeze?

old fogey smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 02, 2022 06:33AM
I was born in VA. That makes me most qualified to be president.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 02, 2022 06:55AM
ztirffritz
I was born in VA. That makes me most qualified to be president.

Of Barsoom.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 02, 2022 07:59AM
I'm in the DC area. It's where I grew up.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 02, 2022 08:27AM
Fine with me. California would be even more wonderful than it is with a few less people.

Well, that would help with a grid that can't handle the present load, and is now asking residents to stop using so much electricity! So the State that will ban cars that don't depend on the grid will depend on cars that do!

And, by the way:

Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban

[www.newsweek.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: d4
Date: September 02, 2022 08:30AM
Water your grass lawn to your heart's content!
Sprinkle it. Douse it. Moisten it. Ahhhhh....

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 02, 2022 08:52AM
DP
So the State that will ban cars that don't depend on the grid will depend on cars that do!

And, by the way:

Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban

[www.newsweek.com]

This is really a ‘nothing’ story, though I don’t blame you for posting it as I’ve seen it repeated a lot. Basically almost all EV’s will be charging during the non-peak early morning hours, when the load on the grid is significantly lower, and electricity rates are significantly cheaper. The whole ‘grid isn’t ready for EV’s meme’ is nonsense.
Date: September 02, 2022 09:02AM
We'll see. The grid hasn't been updated in years even as CA's population grew. Look at the water system there. No new reservoirs in how long? It's amazing to me that CA is allowed to drain the Colorado River as much as it does. Why aren't there desalination plants? There's a whole ocean along the coast!

Basically almost all EV’s will be charging during the non-peak early morning hours, when the load on the grid is significantly lower, and electricity rates are significantly cheaper.

Even if you have enough then for EVs, the rest of the day's needs still have to be provided for. Is that the future for CA's needs? Rationed power?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.

Date: September 02, 2022 09:53AM
I just read you all got a little help;

California lawmakers vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations as state battles energy emergency

California’s state legislature voted in the early hours of the morning on the last day of the legislative session to give the state the option to keep Diablo Canyon, its last remaining operating nuclear power plant, open for another five years.

The state Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the bill, SB-846. The legislation makes it possible for the utility operating the nuclear plant, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, to apply for access to federal funding to keep the nuclear power plant running.

The vote is a reversal of previous plans to shut the nuclear power plant down.

The vote also comes as California is struggling to meet its energy needs. The Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant provides 8.6 percent of the state’s total electricity and 17 percent of the state’s zero-carbon electricity.

[www.cnbc.com]

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 02, 2022 10:09AM
Paul F.
Don't worry, come tax time, California will still try to collect a pound of flesh on any money you even THOUGH about that was connected to California...

CA has been trying to tax the (private) pension of an old boss of mine, who left the state in the early 70's. His responses have been... pungent.
Date: September 02, 2022 10:21AM
Will Collier
Paul F.

CA has been trying to tax the (private) pension of an old boss of mine, who left the state in the early 70's. His responses have been... pungent.

Yup... quite a number of stories like that. If you EVER made money in California, they'll send the goon squad after you for a piece of the pie... even if that pie was baked in another state.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 02, 2022 11:02AM
DP
We'll see. The grid hasn't been updated in years even as CA's population grew. Look at the water system there. No new reservoirs in how long? It's amazing to me that CA is allowed to drain the Colorado River as much as it does. Why aren't there desalination plants? There's a whole ocean along the coast!

Basically almost all EV’s will be charging during the non-peak early morning hours, when the load on the grid is significantly lower, and electricity rates are significantly cheaper.

Even if you have enough then for EVs, the rest of the day's needs still have to be provided for. Is that the future for CA's needs? Rationed power?

You do realize that power is generated on a continuous basis, right? Or were you joking?
Posted by: davester
Date: September 02, 2022 11:46AM
Where are these easily googleable questions coming from? Are you channelling Tucker Carlson here?

DP
We'll see. The grid hasn't been updated in years even as CA's population grew.

Patently false statement. California has been providing ample subsidies to renewable energy sources for years, and those sources have grown.

DP
Look at the water system there. No new reservoirs in how long? It's amazing to me that CA is allowed to drain the Colorado River as much as it does. Why aren't there desalination plants? There's a whole ocean along the coast!

Wait, what? You've now switched gears to talk about water supply? Also, the main water supply problems are lack of snowpack due to climate change and overdrafting of groundwater by corporate agriculture, not lack of reservoir volume. Empty new reservoirs won't help anyone. Desalination plants use vast amounts of energy, exactly what you're complaining about not having enough of. Better to get the big ag industry to stop growing water-thirsty crops that are then sold for profit to foreign countries and start using more water conserving methods rather than using ultra-expensive desalinated water to water crops.

DP

Rationed power is needed for the entire world to stave off climate change since it will take a long time to move wholly to sustainable power sources. Cheap abundant fossil power is a big problem and results in the inefficient power usage practices that are common in the US.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2022 11:48AM by davester.
Date: September 02, 2022 12:07PM
Correct, California’s (and the rest of the southwest) water issues are not the fault of infrastructure, but rather unprecedented drought caused by climate change.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 02, 2022 12:15PM
Currently, we have freedom of movement in the United States. I encourage anyone who lives in a state they dislike to move to one more to their liking. It seems simple enough…

That said, my buddy sold his house in Carlsbad CA to cash buyers sight unseen last year. The buyers had left California for Florida the year before, and were absolutely desperate to return.

=wr=
Date: September 02, 2022 12:17PM
Carnos Jax
Correct, California’s (and the rest of the southwest) water issues are not the fault of infrastructure, but rather unprecedented drought caused by climate change.

Thank you. Plus we share the state with other creatures that deserve habitat and survival.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 02, 2022 12:25PM
Congratulations on your escape. Wait until what you see what kind of house you get for $1 million

"No Comment"
Date: September 02, 2022 01:01PM
Mr645
Congratulations on your escape. Wait until what you see what kind of house you get for $1 million

Apples and Oranges. You can score a fabulous home for $1 million in "most" of California. Depends on where you want to live in Virginia or California. A million dollars will score you an incredible home in Modesto, California.
Date: September 02, 2022 02:03PM
vision63
Mr645

Apples and Oranges. You can score a fabulous home for $1 million in "most" of California. Depends on where you want to live in Virginia or California. A million dollars will score you an incredible home in Modesto, California.

Yeah, but, then you'd be stuck in Modesto... winking smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 02, 2022 02:11PM
ZPG would have avoided much of this. May be too late now. banghead smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 02, 2022 02:28PM
vision63
Mr645

I think I'd pick Virginia over Modesto.

It is what it is.
Date: September 02, 2022 02:48PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
Mr645

Could be worse... Could be Bakersfield.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 02, 2022 03:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
Mr645

Then Roanoke it is (I enjoyed that city). I only mentioned Modesto because I like Modesto. I like the Valley.

Keep Manhattan just gimme that countryside..
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 02, 2022 03:40PM
I for one am happy with the state of affairs in California, so I am not in a huge hurry to leave. Are there cheaper places to live, yes. Is the quality of life the same in other places, maybe. To each his own.

The "asked to not charge my EV during peak hours"? I can do that. I actually have not charged my EV in a week and probably could go another two weeks. We bike wherever we can because our town is pretty sensible when it comes to bike paths and bike lanes...at least until snowy season.

Fourteen different people have emailed me or tagged me in the last two days about the fear mongering Faux on "don't charge your EV". Get a life people.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2022 03:41PM by Markintosh.
Date: September 02, 2022 04:03PM
Markintosh
Get a life people.

You realize how unreasonable an expectation that is, I trust?

winking smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: September 02, 2022 04:06PM
Paul F.
Markintosh
Get a life people.

You realize how unreasonable an expectation that is, I trust?

winking smiley

Yeah, I was gonna say, you DO you what forum you're on, right? :-)
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 02, 2022 09:22PM
There's lots of great places to visit and things to do in VA. I'm one state below you.

Grateful11
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 02, 2022 09:55PM
DP

There's a huge plant just north of here in Carlsbad, CA. [www.carlsbaddesal.com]

While it won't ever seem palatable to many, San Diego is building a huge "Pure Water" reclamation plant to treat much of the water that flows to the ocean and use it for drinking water.

There are other plants in the state.

As for electrical power, currently the grid gets stressed when the sun goes down because of the loss of renewable solar and wind power. Battery storage hasn't caught up yet, but it will. Problem solved.
Date: September 02, 2022 10:08PM
A wonderful byproduct of the EV revolution will be the increase in availabiltiy and decrease in price of batteries. On benefit is the proliferation of home battery storage, which coupled together in software, will allow the creation of virtual power plants. This will be a huge improvement to the current system of horribly inefficient fossil fuel powered peaker plants and such, which will go a long way in stabilizing the current nightmare of supply and demand curves the grid has to endure. A win all the way!
Date: September 02, 2022 10:23PM
“ virtual power plants “

[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020