cry smiley

=TC
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP Elizabeth II
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2022 12:17PM
RIP Lillybit

Long Live the King.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 08, 2022 12:22PM
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
April 21, 1926 - September 8, 2022

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 08, 2022 12:22PM
Nooo! RIP. Wow, she just gave her seal of approval to Liz Truss, what, yesterday??
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 08, 2022 12:26PM
"God save our gracious queen
Long live our noble queen
God save the queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the queen"

God bless you, Queen Elizabeth II.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2022 12:29PM
God Save the Queen
She's not a human being!
No Futrure for you....

[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: hal
Date: September 08, 2022 12:33PM
The last 'head of state' that was around for my whole life. It's gonna be weird having a King in England.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: September 08, 2022 12:59PM
May she RIP, and long live the king. I'm not a British citizen, but this still seems such a blow and gives me goose bumps. She became queen the year I was born and I guess I hoped she would live as long as her mother did.
"I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service..."
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 08, 2022 01:02PM
I have a Princess Elizabeth doll with wardrobe. Christmas at about 10 yrs old. I’m 90 now so it is old.

RIP to the late Queen.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 08, 2022 01:09PM
It will be an interesting change.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 08, 2022 01:09PM
She was a classy broad with whom I happened to share a birthday.

RIP, Your Majesty.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2022 01:10PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 08, 2022 01:10PM
Liz Truss must be pinching herself.
Date: September 08, 2022 01:18PM
yeah, this is weird...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2022 01:32PM by hal.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2022 01:42PM
….RIP…….Charles in Charge……now…..

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 08, 2022 01:50PM
The last credible royal. RIP.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 08, 2022 01:53PM
I was very much rooting for her to top Louis XIV's record of years on the throne, but in every way it mattered, she surpassed him long ago.

Louis reigned. Elizabeth served.

We will not see her like again.
Date: September 08, 2022 01:54PM
Will Collier
I was very much rooting for her to top Louis XIV's record of years on the throne, but in every way it mattered, she surpassed him long ago.

Louis reigned. Elizabeth served.

We will not see her like again.

Wholeheartedly agree. If only America were blessed with more leaders like her.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2022 01:55PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2022 01:58PM
Charles must declare to Parliament on the first day of its session following the accession, or at the coronation, whichever is first, that he is a faithful Protestant. The oath is mandated by the Accession Declaration Act of 1910.

— He must also take a coronation oath as prescribed by the Coronation Oath Act of 1689, the Act of Settlement of 1701 and the Accession Declaration Act.

— He must be in communion with the Church of England, a flexible rule which allowed King George I and King George II to reign even though they were Lutherans.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 08, 2022 02:12PM
She was a good Sheila, and not at all stuck up.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 08, 2022 02:28PM
A GREAT loss to the world. cry smiley
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 08, 2022 03:13PM
Her majesty was a pretty nice girl...
Date: September 08, 2022 03:21PM
the Queen drops the puck:

[www.youtube.com]

her image used to be hung in Canadian NHL rinks:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2022 04:01PM by hal.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 08, 2022 03:30PM
btfc
Her Majesty was a pretty nice girl...

Guess Paul waited too long.
Date: September 08, 2022 03:44PM
[www.npr.org]
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2022 03:44PM
I think Philip’s passing took a heavy toll on her.

RIP

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 08, 2022 03:50PM
R.I.P. Lizzy, you were the best of the best.

I got to see her in person, up close, awhile back.....

er, I got to see her wax impersonation, up close, awhile back.....
==
Date: September 08, 2022 03:51PM
“ the Queen drops the puck “

I’ve never seen that!
Date: September 08, 2022 04:36PM
btfc

I’ve never seen that!

Mike Ricci was more than a bit anxious prior to the San Jose Sharks exhibition game on Oct. 6, 2002, in Vancouver, British Columbia, and it had little to do with facing the Canucks.

Ricci, then starting his sixth season with the Sharks, took the ceremonial faceoff in place of absent captain Owen Nolan. Ricci was surrounded by hockey greats, including Wayne Gretzky, as he took part in the puck drop at center ice with then-Vancouver captain Markus Naslund.

The person dropping the puck? Queen Elizabeth II.

“I remember being very nervous,” Ricci, a Sharks development coach, told the Vancouver Sun in 2012. “The guys were all kidding around that I was going to cause some kind of a scandal, like trip into her and take the whole group out.”

[www.mercurynews.com]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 08, 2022 04:48PM
chopper
The last credible royal. RIP.

This. I am hearing a lot of chatter about the fact that it's ironic this happened not long after the 25th anniversary of Diana's death.

R.I.P.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2022 05:04PM
The Bank of England confirmed that bank notes featuring the portrait of the late Queen Elizabeth II will remain legal tender -- for now.

Further news regarding bank notes will be made after the period of official mourning concludes.

The Telegraph reported that the Queen, who died Thursday after 70 years on the throne, was the first British monarch to appear on bank notes.
Date: September 08, 2022 05:06PM
Double rainbow appears over Buckingham Palace just before death of Queen Elizabeth II is announced

[news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 08, 2022 05:08PM
hal
btfc

I’ve never seen that!

Mike Ricci was more than a bit anxious prior to the San Jose Sharks exhibition game on Oct. 6, 2002, in Vancouver, British Columbia, and it had little to do with facing the Canucks.

Ricci, then starting his sixth season with the Sharks, took the ceremonial faceoff in place of absent captain Owen Nolan. Ricci was surrounded by hockey greats, including Wayne Gretzky, as he took part in the puck drop at center ice with then-Vancouver captain Markus Naslund.

The person dropping the puck? Queen Elizabeth II.

“I remember being very nervous,” Ricci, a Sharks development coach, told the Vancouver Sun in 2012. “The guys were all kidding around that I was going to cause some kind of a scandal, like trip into her and take the whole group out.”

[www.mercurynews.com]

Perfection would see the Queen throw them both out for interference, bring in two others and drop again.
Date: September 08, 2022 05:13PM
Steve G.
The Bank of England confirmed that bank notes featuring the portrait of the late Queen Elizabeth II will remain legal tender -- for now.

Is that a thing? When a monarch dies, does all the money issued with his/her likeness on it become worthless? That would be very odd -- and very expensive for the government to replace.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 08, 2022 05:20PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

Is that a thing? When a monarch dies, does all the money issued with his/her likeness on it become worthless? That would be very odd -- and very expensive for the government to replace.

That's why here in the USA, we wait for people to die before putting them on our money..... cool smiley
==
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 08, 2022 06:00PM
Biden Orders Flags at Half-Staff as World Reels From Death of Queen Elizabeth II

President Joe Biden issued a proclamation hours after the death of Queen Elizabeth II ordering all flags at U.S. federal and military facilities to fly at half staff as “as a mark of respect,” one of several symbolic gestures around the globe to honor the influential tenure of the 96-year-old sovereign.

US News and World Report

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 08, 2022 08:00PM
A friends daughter is studying in London, and said that her local pub was surreal today... very quiet...

God Save The King...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 08, 2022 08:04PM
My wife and I were discussing this just this morning that we didn't think she would pull through this episode. Rest In Peace classy lady.

I saw this one earlier and it got to both of us.

Grateful11
Date: September 08, 2022 08:05PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

It doesn't become worthless, but, it's cycled out of circulation. Just like George V and George VI's currency were cycled out once Elizabeth II took the throne.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 08, 2022 09:01PM
By all impressions a very human person who took her role and service exceptionally seriously.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 09, 2022 05:43AM
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

It doesn't become worthless, but, it's cycled out of circulation. Just like George V and George VI's currency were cycled out once Elizabeth II took the throne.

It is not just England, the Queen's likeness is on the currency of many of the Commonwealth countries. All will be issuing new currency, whether the new notes will have the likeness of King Charles? who knows.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DP
Date: September 09, 2022 06:44AM
Betty Windsor, 96, World War II veteran, has passed away.

RIP...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 09, 2022 08:49AM
DP
Betty Windsor, 96, World War II veteran, has passed away.

RIP...

Boris Johnson noted this morning that Elizabeth was the last living person in public life in the UK who'd served in uniform during WWII. It would surprise me if she was not also the last living person on Earth with that distinction (although obviously there are still some living WWII veterans around the world).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2022 10:54AM by Will Collier.
Date: September 09, 2022 10:48AM
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

TIL.

That's a LOT of currency to be cycled out.

It is what it is.
Date: September 09, 2022 12:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

TIL.

That's a LOT of currency to be cycled out.

They don't generally do it all at once... It does take a while!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020