The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch series 7 vs SE 2
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 08, 2022 04:48PM
Poll
Series 7 at $300 or SE 2 at $250
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
10 votes were received.
Series 7 5

50%
SE 2 5

50%

My wife needs a new Apple Watch. Her Series 2 is no longer holding a charge through the day. She does not want to pay a premium for the latest/greatest. Looking for the best value. Is the Series 7 more than $50 better than the new SE? I feel like the answer is yes, but I don’t follow the watches as closely as some other Apple products. She’d be plenty happy with the SE, but if the 7 was a better value, she’d prefer it just for that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch series 7 vs SE 2
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 08, 2022 05:36PM
i do believe the new SE has the crash detection and fall detection features. if you don't need the health monitoring features i think it's a good deal. The 7 wouldn't have crash detection. hard to quickly compare all the features since the 7 is no longer up on Apple.com.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 08, 2022 05:44PM
I want the always on display of the S7.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2022 08:32PM
The SE2 has a newer chip than the S7, so will probably have at least one year longer software updates than the S7.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: September 08, 2022 10:04PM
ADent
I want the always on display of the S7.

I feel like she’d actually prefer to turn that off. Or, is that one of those things you don’t think you want until you have it?
Posted by: kj
Date: September 08, 2022 10:59PM
I think I would like the always on. Without it, my watch does a pretty good job knowing when to turn on, but I have to tap it quite a bit, especially when I'm laying down. It's probably a toss-up though. The 7 had some sort of sensor I wanted, but I can't remember what it was.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2022 12:00AM
I feel like she’d actually prefer to turn that off. Or, is that one of those things you don’t think you want until you have it?

It's easily toggled in the 'Phone's Watch app.

I've had that option since it first appeared in watchOS and only enabled this week.

Saving battery power was my reason to keep it off, but on a lark I switched it one.

And it is pretty handy.

Wearing a mech for many years, muscle memory has be glancing at the watch without raising my wrist.

With my Watches, I'm always turning or raising my wrist to see the time.

I've done it since the first Watch, so it's not big deal.

But since using Always On, I found myself falling into the old habit of looking before turning.

It's not 100% yet, but I haven't seen much impact on battery life, so it stays in Always On until I feel differently.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 09, 2022 04:36AM
I have a 4 (without Always On) and a 6 (with Always On) that are the same color. I wear them sequentially from day to day. I have the Always On turned on on the 6. I literally don't know which watch I'm wearing day to day. I can tell if I look for the scratch at the top of the screen on the 4 but that's the only way I can tell. So, I must not be utilizing the Always On in the way that others do. My wife has the same thing and I asked her if she ever noticed the Always On on her 6. She didn't know that it existed. She can tell her watches apart because they're different colors but that's the only way.

I had planned on trading in the 6's that my wife and I both have and buying new 8's since the 6's still have a moderate trade in value to Apple. But, the new SE has really all the capabilities that we want. So, we've decided to simply hang on to the 4's and the 6's until they die and replace them with whatever iteration of the SE that Apple will be selling at that time. When it comes down to it, my wife might want a different color than the SE's have so I'll ask if it's worth $150. We'll see what she says!
Date: September 09, 2022 08:34PM
Wow. That poll was completely unhelpful, but thanks for the comments! You’ve helped make the differences very clear for us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020