advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tooth Grinders?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 10, 2022 11:21AM
Wen to the dentist yesterday. He's still feeling the aftereffects fo C19, was moving slowly.

He told me I grind my teeth at night and should get a guard. My concern is does this effect breathing? My snoring reduced a lot after I lost 50 lbs, but its a concern?

Anybody have experience wearing a dental guard while sleeping?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tooth Grinders?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 10, 2022 11:34AM
After my dentist visit last week I now get to go to the endodontist to see if pain on chewing is an abscess at the tooth root (root canal!) versus night grinding.

Wish I were one of those freaks with an extra set of wisdom teeth so I could just pull it.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 10, 2022 12:36PM
I wore a guard at night for 2-3 years for the same reason as your dentist cited. At first, it was too tight and uncomfortable. Then he worked on with a rotary tool until I could use it without pain. It was very thin, and caused no airway obstruction at all. It was made of a very strong plastic or resin material that eventually became brittle and cracked. At that point it didn’t seem safe to wear so I tossed it. YMMV.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: kj
Date: September 10, 2022 12:53PM
I wear one intermittently. I would be really surprised if it made breathing any more difficult for anyone. The cool thing is that if you don't get one, eventually your teeth get really sharp.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 10, 2022 02:19PM
……Grindr for guys…..but there must be one for teeth to hookup….

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 10, 2022 02:48PM
and for you sports fans, grinders for plenty

Ty Cobb’s dentures auctioned for $18K+
Karen Shemonsky, bought them in 1999. At that time, she told The Post, “This is such a thrill to me to now own a piece of baseball history.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2022 02:49PM by Steve G..
Posted by: rz
Date: September 10, 2022 02:56PM
I wear one every night. Doesn’t affect my breathing at all. Took a couple of days to get used to it. Now, I hardly notice it.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: September 10, 2022 07:45PM
I wear a mouth guard every time I lay down to sleep.
No problems at all with breathing.

Mine was made by a dental lab. I did it by mail directly with the dental lab (J & S Dental Lab) at a cost about 1/3 of what my dentist would have charged. The Amazon listing for the lab's kit by mail is no longer active or I would have provided the link.

For a period of a few years prior to getting a proper one, I tried many over-the-counter ones from different drug stores or even mail order since they were so inexpensive compared to getting one made by a dental lab. The ones that fit somewhat well wore out quickly. The ones that fit badly were really uncomfortable. One even was so bad that I bit my cheek severely while sleeping. The moral of the story... don't cheap out and get a proper one made by a dental lab. Mine has lasted over 6 years now, but I'm more of a clencher than a grinder so it might not be subject to as much wear and tear.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 10, 2022 11:17PM
I had no trouble breathing with the one my dentist made for me but it only lasted three weeks before I ground through it. The next one lasted longer but it bit the dust, too. I now have had braces for16 months or so and their installation has ended my grinding (for now). I’ll see what happens after the orthodontist is done working his skill in a few months or more. (I got braces because my two front upper teeth were flexing and flaking off enamel and I didn’t want them breaking off. I hope the braces do the trick…)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 11, 2022 01:00PM
I've used guards for a number of years, wish I would have been told I needed one sooner.

No, they don't interrupt my breathing. I've had a couple different kinds but my current one doesn't differ too much from something an athlete might wear playing a contact sport. It doesn't block their breathing either.

I tried a number of drug store versions and they varied from intolerable to just tolerable. My dentist fit ones have worked quite well. Yes, they're a bit expensive but thats what FSA money is for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020