advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We discussed air purifiers, what about their replacement filters?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 11, 2022 01:39PM
FU to [forums.macresource.com]

I need replacement filters for my Coway AirMega air purifiers - [www.amazon.com]

Any tips on what I should get? Lately I've been more concerned with quality on amazon.

Who's WOCASE? I have no idea, but they sell considerably cheaper filters - [www.amazon.com] - of course, I have no idea if they do the job they claim to.

I think the cheapskate in me is losing. After all, if the filters don't work well then whats the point?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We discussed air purifiers, what about their replacement filters?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 11, 2022 01:49PM
Go with your gut. It's probably accurate in this case.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 11, 2022 02:01PM
Matt,

Can't say I've had good experiences with aftermarket filters. Tried it once for my RabbitAir MinusA2 but it didn't fit properly. The filter itself was decent enough but I had to do some trimming for it to fit properly. Not enough of a savings to make it worth going aftermarket for the next replacement.

I'd get the OEM filters and call it done. The cost of the consumables for the Coway Airmega 200M and AirMega 1212HHis one of the reasons Wirecutter likes that particular model.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.sylvane.com]

Robert
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 11, 2022 04:50PM
These Nordic Pure filters are very good; much better-made than what Home Depot sells. They were on sale last October so keep an eye open for another sale.

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: September 11, 2022 05:47PM
Dennis,

THe only filter they produce for an air purifier is for the Austin Air Healthmate HM 400 Air Purifier. They don't produce filters for any other air purifiers.

Robert
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 11, 2022 06:48PM
Sure do love my InvisiClean air purifier. Forget who suggested it here, but we love it.
[amzn.to]

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: September 11, 2022 07:29PM
tuqqer,

It's too bad they give you the info in square feet. They really should do it in cubic feet. They also should give you the air changes per hour based on my minimum of 5 air changes per hour. I believe Ed from Air-Purifier-Power uses 6 changes per hour as his base minimum. So, based on the CFM rating, the machine will do about 6.5 air changes per hour in a room that is 14'x14'x8'. No doubt, that is if the machine is running on high speed. Still, that's not too shabby.

Nearly all the air purifier companies use high speed when they do their calculations. 'course, on high, it's probably a bit on the noisy side. I'd use it in a significantly smaller room but keep it on medium to reduce the noise level. FWIW, even my BlueAir model, which is considered a quieter machine, is noticeably noisy when running at high speed. It's intended for a space larger than the area we keep it in, so we run it at medium, 24/7.

How much are the filters and how often must you change them? I'd love to see how it competes with similarly specced from from the more common brands like BlueAir, Winix, Coway, etc.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2022 07:33PM by Robert M.
Date: September 11, 2022 07:35PM
We move it room to room, just to clean the air each week in each space. We generally always put it on high, with ions, and with UV light, run it for 2-4 hours. Not too noisy but I wouldn't want to work in that space while it's on.
So far, we haven't seem to have to change the filters. I've rinsed them a couple times and that seems to work so far.Their full replacement (like 4 different filters) goes for $40, with the activated carbon filters go for around $6 each.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: September 11, 2022 08:14PM
Tuqqer,

Hate to say it, you're better off purchasing an appropriately specced air purifier for each room and leave them running 24/7. That's really how the manufacturers intend for you to use them.

Looks like you're supposed to change the HEPA filter every 3 to 6 months and it's about $34.95 or so per set. Sounds like the ones in your machine are long overdue for replacement based on the manual for your machine.

[www.invisiclean.com]

I wonder how long air passing through the machine sits in front of the UV lamp. Time is key to UV-C lamps. Just a quick flash from a UV lamp isn't going to kill any bacteria or viruses. Even the better UV boxes require several minutes at the minimum to do the job.

I wouldn't put much faith in the UV lamp of the air purifier since I doubt air is in its presence long enough for it to really do anything. Just my opinion based on my research into UV sanitizers. Seems more like a novelty than anything else. Replacement lamps for it are $14.95

Robert
Date: September 11, 2022 08:16PM
thanks for the heads up, Robert. will get replacements now.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 12, 2022 01:56AM
During the San Gabriel wildfires five(?) years ago, I built myself a couple of these diy units to clear the air that leaked in. I used a purple air pm2.5 unit to track the effectiveness. And it worked quite well.
[smartairfilters.com]
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 12, 2022 05:59AM
Robert M

[www.homedepot.com]

Robert

it costs $40.58 in my area.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: September 12, 2022 06:21AM
I have a Coway and have used Discount Filter for excellent replacement filters. Company resides here in the good old USA on the south side of Indy and they were fast to ship. I bought a 2 pack for less than $30 which included the Hepa filters and carbon filters. They have discount coupons with frequent sales and cover a decent amount of other manufacturers. They also handle a wide range of other types of filters including water, pool, spa, refrigerator, etc. check them out.
If they have the replacement I don’t believe you can beat the price and quality.

[www.discountfilters.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: September 12, 2022 08:39AM
Randalls
I have a Coway and have used Discount Filter for excellent replacement filters. Company resides here in the good old USA on the south side of Indy and they were fast to ship. I bought a 2 pack for less than $30 which included the Hepa filters and carbon filters. They have discount coupons with frequent sales and cover a decent amount of other manufacturers. They also handle a wide range of other types of filters including water, pool, spa, refrigerator, etc. check them out.
If they have the replacement I don’t believe you can beat the price and quality.

[www.discountfilters.com]

Hey, thanks for the heads up there. I'm going to order a 2-pack for my Levoit 300, as they are about 8 bones cheaper.
Date: September 12, 2022 10:28AM
Good deal. I like them a lot. Glad I could help.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 12, 2022 03:12PM
LOYAL25 gave me a nice discount at discount filters.

Date: September 12, 2022 05:40PM
Excellent. They have a lot of sales.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020