The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you use a password manager?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 12, 2022 07:42PM
Poll
Do you use a password manager?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
58 votes were received.
Yes. 33

57%
No. 25

43%
Huh? 0

0%

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you use a password manager?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 12, 2022 07:47PM
Enpass

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: gadje
Date: September 12, 2022 07:54PM
1Password. Free benefit from work.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 12, 2022 08:10PM
lCloud---But Passkeys are coming, which will obviate passwords
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 12, 2022 08:27PM
Fritz
Enpass

+1
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 12, 2022 08:33PM
1 Password. I've had it for several years and it works well.

Is there a subscription version? I never understood how that worked. I never signed up for it and it still works well for me regardless.

Northern California Coast
Date: September 12, 2022 08:42PM
steve...

Is there a subscription version? I never understood how that worked. I never signed up for it and it still works well for me regardless.

Yes, they really push the subscription version and hide the stand-alone application. I am not even sure if you can still buy the stand-alone application.

Eventually a macOS or iOS update will make your version 7 of 1Password unusable and you will need to go to the subscription model. I hate this. If it was not a free benefit from work, I would probably be looking at alternatives.
Date: September 12, 2022 08:55PM
steve...

I think at some point it stopped working with Chrome. I've trained my wife to use a password manager and integration needs to work so I decided to pay.

---

I started this thread because my wife was talking to my brother in law about what he'll do to help take over his parents finances. Somehow the topic of passwords came up and he declared that he has the best password ever since every account he uses it with declares that its a great password. That comment alone tempted me to remove all finance related tasks from him plate.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 12, 2022 09:01PM
mattkime
I think at some point it stopped working with Chrome. I've trained my wife to use a password manager and integration needs to work so I decided to pay.

---

I started this thread because my wife was talking to my brother in law about what he'll do to help take over his parents finances. Somehow the topic of passwords came up and he declared that he has the best password ever since every account he uses it with declares that its a great password. That comment alone tempted me to remove all finance related tasks from him plate.

1Password 7 (non-subscription) works great with chrome. periodically either because of changes in Chrome or in 1P you need to reinstall the the extension.

The best integration is with Safari. If a site messages you a code 1P will automagically make it clickable to enter without having to go into Messages.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 12, 2022 09:19PM
If a site messages you a code 1P will automagically make it clickable to enter without having to go into Messages.

Safari does that, it's not a 1Password feature, it's a Safari feature.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 12, 2022 10:47PM
Keychain/iCloud.

I love it. Works for me.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 13, 2022 01:11AM
Yes, I use Keychain Access (iCloud enabled).
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 13, 2022 07:18AM
I used 1password for many years, since before I had an iPhone. I still have it for legacy passwords. Keychain does that work for me now.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2022 08:11AM
I don't count Keychain Access so I voted NO.

What happens if (WHEN) your "Master Password" somehow gets corrupted (or you simply forget it AND where the paper you wrote it on CAN'T be found)? banghead smiley

I have a 20+ character "Master Base Password that has meaning for me but would NOT make sense to anyone else. old fogey smiley
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 13, 2022 08:21AM
I also use iCloud/Keychain.

Not perfect, but pretty good, and I didn’t care for the one 3rd party PW manager I tried.
Date: September 13, 2022 08:28AM
testcase
I have a 20+ character "Master Base Password that has meaning for me but would NOT make sense to anyone else. old fogey smiley

written down with other important paperwork

Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 13, 2022 09:06AM
mattkime,

I used 1 Password for years and loved it, but as Safari got better and my needs for passwords decreased (fewer websites) with age, I dropped 1PW and have found no need to go back.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 13, 2022 09:18AM
Matt,

I use 1Password to store the passwords, account information, identity information, critical digital documents. You name it. I do not use its browser features. For passwords and login information, I open the app, copy it and/or read it and then enter it into the site.

You don't have to give up using keychain and icloud syncing of keychain if you use 1Password. You can use them in conjunction with each other. Although I still keep the data stored in 1Password, I do use keychain with sites that I'm less concerned about when it comes to security, i.e. some online stores, periodicals, etc. Financial sties and government related sites? Nope.

FWIW, I don't like Keychain Acces and don't like it for good reason. Here's why:

It's interface is awful in comparison to a quality password manager

Features are limited in comparison to a quality password manager.

Secure? Astonishingly, no. Unless I'm mistaken, the password for the main keychain is the same as the password for my computer's account. That means, anyone using my computer can open the app and access all of the data in it.

Doesn't organize the data well at all.

Overall utility, barely usable for much of anything except for maybe the basics in my experience.

Cross-platform. Mac, iOS and iPadOS. Windows? Linux? Nope.

Based on using Keychain Access exclusively for a week as a test, I can say without a doubt that it was never really intended for use by anyone to be a dedicated password manager like 1Password. A nice system utility, yes, full-featured password manager, no.

Robert
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 13, 2022 10:23AM
LastPass user here.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 13, 2022 10:41AM
eWallet.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 13, 2022 12:27PM
1Password since the start. But the standalone version. Hate subscriptions with a passion (heating utilities and Netflix aside).

Fascinated to see what Apple's upcoming Passkey will bring and if it'll make 1PW obsolete.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 13, 2022 12:40PM
tuqqer,

I'm using non-subscription 1Password 6.x. Works for the way I use it. Also looking forward to seeing what Apple does with Passkey. Key to passkeys, though, isn't just Apple. All your favorite web sites need to implement it. That could take a while. Kind of like Apple Pay.

Apple released Apple Pay in 2014. Seven years ago. The majority of my favorite stores started supporting it only in the last two or three years. Prior to that, no stores I visited supported it. Even now, many still don't accept it. Annoying.

And, yes, I'm someone who doesn't necessarily think Apple pay is any more convenient than my credit card. I prefer it not for convenient. I prefer it for superior security.

Hopefully, Passkeys will be implemented well and adopted more quickly than Apple Pay.

Robert
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 13, 2022 12:50PM
I'm looking forward to Passkey, but I think you should be able to choose the body part you use.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2022 07:50PM
mattkime
testcase

written down with other important paperwork

Ummm, NO.

Some of the events that are meaningful to ME go back 20+ YEARS. I have NOT written it down with "other important paperwork". I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that even the best hacker would bother to take the time necessary to "guess" the password base, never mind the additions that are added to EACH site that needs a password.
Date: September 13, 2022 09:24PM
testcase
Ummm, NO.

Some of the events that are meaningful to ME go back 20+ YEARS. I have NOT written it down with "other important paperwork". I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that even the best hacker would bother to take the time necessary to "guess" the password base, never mind the additions that are added to EACH site that needs a password.

There's some overlap between "How we might provide our passwords to loved ones when we pass" and "What if I forget my password?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2022 09:48PM by mattkime.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 13, 2022 10:04PM
Keychain FTW!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020