advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How would you cook a fresh ham roast?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 18, 2022 06:08PM
I buy half a pig from a farmer every year which means we get cuts we're less certain how to cook. Instead of getting the traditional ham, I decided to get fresh roasts instead. They might have some fat on the outside but they're rather lean cuts otherwise. Lately I find a rub recipe and cook them like any other roast to 145°F internal. Its good but I think it could be better. There aren't a lot of fresh roast recipes online. Pork tenderloin recipes seem like a good match.

Anyone have a fav fresh ham roast recipe?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How would you cook a fresh ham roast?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 18, 2022 06:38PM
Put that sucker on the smoker for 4 hours. It will fall apart. Put on bun with coleslaw.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 18, 2022 06:48PM
mmmmm.... pulled pork!

Rolando
Put that sucker on the smoker for 4 hours. It will fall apart. Put on bun with coleslaw.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 18, 2022 06:58PM
I’ve been cooking all roasts, even venison, overnight at 200F.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 18, 2022 07:12PM
....roast it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 18, 2022 07:26PM
Rolando

yeah, that is what I would do, too. anything other and it's a wasted opportunity!

oh, if it's not very fatty, either inject with brine or make sure to have a water bath near the coals/wood that will hydrate the meat while slow cooking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 07:28PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 18, 2022 07:33PM
So I can just pretend that its a pork shoulder?

I'm convinced that I made the world's best pulled pork a few times making this recipe - [www.seriouseats.com]

I got lucky and everything came out perfect the first couple of times. Now I need to understand each step. I'm ready for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 07:35PM by mattkime.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 18, 2022 07:47PM
Bacon wrapped.

Fruit and pork have a long association.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 18, 2022 08:30PM
If its really lean, and you want a little bite on it, smoke it for 3 hours, then put it in a pan, a simple alumninum one will do, pour some apple cider over it, and cover it with bacon. The bacon will add some fat. Leave it on for another hour.

Last year I did a shoulder and put butter in the pan, poured DR PEPPER over it, covered it with foil and let it braise for another hour.

Family tore it up!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 19, 2022 10:12AM
Just remember - it's not ham. It's not cured, so, it's just pork. Almost identical to the front shoulder for spicing, and cooking.

I would put it on the smoker... but, it ain't gonna take no FOUR hours... It'll probably take closer to TEN hours to really get falling off the bone. It needs to get to 165 degrees all the way to the center.

I would, no matter how you plan to cook it, brine it overnight, then the seasoning rub of your choice.
Then slow-roast or smoke.

My REAL preference would be to cure it with salt and #1 Cure, then hang to air-dry for at least a year...turn it into an actual HAM. But, that's getting a little advanced. :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 19, 2022 04:14PM
it's not ham. It's not cured, so, it's just pork

right for stating that, even if it was implied by it being raw pork.

and, agree on time, for a large cut of meat, it may even take 16 hours... as I prefer 195F for my pork shoulders.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 19, 2022 04:49PM
mrbigstuff
it's not ham. It's not cured, so, it's just pork

right for stating that, even if it was implied by it being raw pork.

and, agree on time, for a large cut of meat, it may even take 16 hours... as I prefer 195F for my pork shoulders.

At 195, you even look at it askance, and it falls apart in fear...
And this is making me hungry... I may have to pick up a pork shoulder this week and fire up the traeger this weekend.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020