advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why did I think I have iMovie?
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 19, 2022 12:06PM
I thought it came with all manner of OS. I upgraded a year ago to Mojave on my 2012 Mini and that's as far as I can go. But when I went to look for iMovie to do a little video editing, it's nowhere to be found. I can go to the App store and download it, but not a version that will run on this OS.

So, two questions.

1. Any idea where I can get a version of iMovie that I can use with Mojave?
2. Any free, easy-to-use ruimentary video editors you can recommend?

All I want to do it combine and re-order a few minute long video clips I recorded with my iPhone. I did it once before on the phone with something called VN which worked okay, but I'd much rather use a mouse on my Mac than my fat fingers on a phone.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why did I think I have iMovie?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 19, 2022 12:15PM
At some point, iMovie became a paid app, unless you bought a new machine and then you could get it added to your App store account.

So, the only way to buy it at this point is to login into the app store from a machine running the latest OS, buy iMovie, then you can go back to the machine running Mojave, and it should let you download a compatible version now that it is in your App store account.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 19, 2022 12:29PM
Maybe here? [www.macintoshrepository.org]

[osxdaily.com]

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 19, 2022 01:07PM
I teach high school video; we use Wevideo online, but it puts a watermark if you don't have a subscription. I recommend this for students who are editing on their phones: [apps.apple.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 19, 2022 01:34PM
My Mid 2012 MBP came with 10.7 and iMovie.
I'm on Mohave and my iMovie is at 10.1.4

Do you still have a partition with the original OS? If so, then boot into that and see if you can DL the then current version of iMovie. If you can, DL it and then reboot into Mohave. The latest version of iMovie should be available to DL.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 19, 2022 02:25PM
Bundled iApps are not reinstalled if you erase and install the OS on your boot drive.

If you bought a Mac that bundled an App Store version of iMovie then you probably registered it on your first sign-in to the App Store. As a result, it will be visible in your purchase-history.

Downloading from your purchase-history is not the same as downloading from the main page for an app in the App Store.

If you're running an older OS, when you go to download an App from your purchase-history in the App Store, you should be prompted to download a version that is compatible with your OS.

Date: September 20, 2022 07:08AM
Update for anyone interested.

After a fair amount of searching, I found and decided to try something called CapCut. It does what I needed to do, and fairly simply. The only downside i discovered was that after I finished, the exported finished clip had a watermark. There's a box to check to remove it, and when I checked it I had to log in via Apple or Google. I'm sure I gave up some right to privacy as a result, but probably nothing more than any other program I use.

[www.capcut.com]
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 20, 2022 09:42AM
Tiangou
… go to download an App from your purchase-history in the App Store, you should be prompted to download a version that is compatible with your OS.

I thought you were going to do this.

Video apps are hungry for permissions.
Date: September 20, 2022 10:38AM
rich in distress
Tiangou
… go to download an App from your purchase-history in the App Store, you should be prompted to download a version that is compatible with your OS.

I thought you were going to do this.

Video apps are hungry for permissions.

Well, thank you for that poke, rich in distress (and Tiangou). I looked the other day when you mentioned it, but didn't see anything obvious where I could see past purchases, other than a couple of Apps that offered updates that I wasn't in a hurry for. A little deeper digging just now brought me to a place where I could 'unhide' some other apps (iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Garage Band, etc.). Once I did that and re-logged in, I was able to download. Once iMovie was downloaded, those others also appeared in my Applications folder. Since I was there, I went ahead and updated a couple of others that offered the option.

I never would have bother exploring if you didn't ask again, so thanks for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2022 10:47AM by wurm.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 20, 2022 01:25PM
The thing I like about CapCut’s watermark is that it is at the very end. So you can use Apple’s Photos app to trim it off.
Date: September 20, 2022 01:37PM
The first export I did with CapCut, the watermark was throughout the whole video. That's why it ticked me off so much. More exploring led me to discover that checkbox to remove it.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 20, 2022 04:30PM
Great!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020