advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
leaky windshield
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 20, 2022 09:47AM
the interior of the ol '05 Honda started to smell like cat pee last week after a torrential storm.
Having experienced this before in the Volvo, it was later to be discovered that water was getting in from the sunroof and heating up in the car and carpet. Smells just like cat wiz.

It appears to be the bottom seal of the windshield is leaking.
Pretty sure NYS in all glass coverage for cracks and other damage.
Dunno about seals though.
That said, DIY with some Permatex or other stuff or Safelite for the touchdown?

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: leaky windshield
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 20, 2022 10:39AM
Given the rot and corrosion that can happen when water gets inside a car, I'd go for the definitive fix and call Safelite.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 20, 2022 10:40AM
There are a number of possible ways water can get into a vehicle. Is the headliner wet ? Is there water in the HVAC ducts ? Is the carpet wet around the doors or just in the floor ?
Date: September 20, 2022 11:08AM
dry headliner. no water in the AC.
seems just the floor carpet.
the seam at the bottom of the windshield is definitely compromised.
when I direct the AC to the windshield, I get condensation on the outside to the level of tuning on the wipers.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 20, 2022 11:22AM
PSA - have the dealer/mechanic blow out the drainage channels for the sunroof at every visit. If they get clogged, water backs up and goes into the car.

Fritz - the cat wiz you smell is probably mold. And lots of it. You probably will need to rip up the carpet and dampening material and have it all replaced. We had to do that with our 2013 highlander after the sunroof drains all got clogged and we had mold everywhere. Very expensive.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 20, 2022 11:28AM
So that leads to the question of...if the seals are compromised...is the metal compromised? If the metal around and under the seal begins rusting, that rust will continue to spread and will just lead to bigger problems.

We had that repair done on our gen1 Tacoma last summer. Remove windshield, remove all trim and rubber. Then they sand blasted and removed all rust and did a metal fill in one area. Then prime repaint and reinstall the window and trim. $1100 repair

The rust at the top of the window probably started with a rock chip. The shop explained that the lower edge rust likely happened when a window installer got over aggressive with tools and scratched the paint on the window frame.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: September 20, 2022 11:42AM
no sun roof in this car.

oh boy, does this ever sound like a party ......

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: chopper
Date: September 20, 2022 12:53PM
I second the drain cleaning.

You can try something like WD40 on a swab and wipe it on the seal to fatten it up.

There is a special Honda "treatment" for rubber. I'll see if I can find mine. I do all the interior seals on my S2000 every year.
Date: September 20, 2022 12:54PM
Honda shin-utsu grease.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 20, 2022 12:59PM
Tracing the source of a leak around a windshield can be tricky. Best bet would be to check all around the seal from the inside, which would be iffy with any modern car. Even then you could have it coming in at one point and getting into the car at another point, pushed around the seal by wind pressure from driving. I had this situation in a Volvo that drove me nuts for months. Finally just had the seal replaced. Never did find the actual leak.

Date: September 20, 2022 01:21PM
my doG what a royal pain in the fkn arse!
full glass in NY is only cracked or damaged glass.
deductible before GEICO picks up.
2 day wait for a "field" inspection.
body shop, not Safelite as far as GEICO is concerned.
I'm sure that'll be $1500.
That info took 2 hrs of on-line, app and phone to get across.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2022 01:32PM by Fritz.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 20, 2022 01:48PM
Damn, I hope something doesn't happen to the glass...
Date: September 20, 2022 02:01PM
mrbigstuff
Damn, I hope something doesn't happen to the glass...

yea, me too.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 20, 2022 02:18PM
Sorry, Fritz. Hope this is not as bad as we are making it out to be.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 20, 2022 03:07PM
….Richard…..leakey….

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 20, 2022 04:00PM
Just as a piece of information before you spend the $1500...

Back in the 1990's I bought a new Ford Ranger. The first time it rained there was water in the passenger footwell. They "fixed" it until the next time it rained. The dealership had it 4 times to fix it themselves over the next several months. Then they sent it to a body shop for them to remount the windshield. And then to a second body shop to remount the windshield again. By that time I was dealing with the owner of the Ford dealership. I had passed the 5 repair lemon law in GA but I didn't say a word about it. After that second body shop didn't work (6 repairs) the owner suggested that he just buy it back for what I paid minus some cents per mile driven and that I order a new one at the same deal as the old one and he give mine to the service manager as his work vehicle. He told me that if it was the one the service manager drove it would get fixed. I was happy with that and, I assume, the service manager was not. It was interesting that I couldn't make it leak with a hose anywhere that I could reach. I presume the dealership did the same with a hose. It only leaked in heavy rain. I imagine it was somehow coming from spray underneath but I dunno...

I REALLY hope yours is an easy fix. I think that rather than putting in a service order to have the glass remounted I'd put in a service order for, "Fix the leaking water that's coming into the cabin" kind of thing. That way if you pay for them to remount the glass and it doesn't fix the problem they should be responsible for continuing the repair until they fix it.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 20, 2022 05:26PM
You can use a smoke machine to find the leak. Either via filling up the cabin and seeing where it leaks out or pointing it towards the possible leak areas from the outside and looking for it to come through on the inside (might be harder if there's trim pieces in the way). It's something I have to try out at some point on one of my vehicles that has a mystery leak (luckily it doesn't rain all that often here).
Date: September 20, 2022 05:40PM
smoke machine is a good idea. wish I had one.
maybe I'll Q a chicken in there. (giggle, giggle, giggle)
but at 15 years old, if I get an estimate of silly $, I'll just run some Permatex around the seal and see what comes.

!#$@@$#!

Date: September 20, 2022 08:45PM
I have American Family. We had a windshield issue last year. Called the local AmFam office, local glass place was here the next day and no out of pocket.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020