advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you tip at those counter-top kiosks when ordering food?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 21, 2022 12:21PM
You know what I'm talking about right?

Restaurants with counter service where you walk up to the counter, place your order and then they flip an iPad or other tablet around for you to pay and then add a tip. You then sit down and either your number is called and you get up to go get your food or you sit down with an order number placard placed on your table after which a server eventually brings you your food.

I don't tip

My 2 cents - tipping is for service provided, not for going to a counter to order food, even if a server brings the food out to you

And, if you subscribe to the 'service provided' theory, then the only time to tip would be once the meal is over and you then decide that you received good service

No way I'm going to tip *prior* to service being provided only to potentially receive poor service later on during the meal (for example, order messed up, food takes very long to come out, etc.). And these are not hypotheticals, this has happened to me personally

And, the same goes for to go orders - I know lots of restaurants have dedicated to go staff that rely on tips but, again, I've been burned too many times, coming home to open the to go containers to find something wrong, or missing or worse

If the to go staff actually goes through my order and shows me everything prior to me paying/leaving then, yeah, I have no problem providing a tip for the service provided

What are your thoughts and practices?

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you tip at those counter-top kiosks when ordering food?
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 21, 2022 12:24PM
I just leave some bucks on the table if somebody brings me stuff. If they don't then what makes you different from Taco Bell?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 21, 2022 12:24PM
Nope, and definitely not at the time of ordering. If they somehow go above and beyond perhaps into a tip jar or something.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 21, 2022 01:37PM
I don't do it as I'm ordering. I will leave a couple of dollars on the table if somebody brought be something. If they refill my drink for me, I'm good for another buck per refill!

I actually use the refill glasses thing at regular restaurants, as well. I start at 15% (assuming baseline competence as a server) and if they refill me I go to 20%.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 21, 2022 01:43PM
The places I go to like that are small family run places. I know that my tip is going to help them take care of necessities - nobody working in restaurant service is getting rich. I tip generously but that doesn't mean I'm coming back. The circumstances have to be pretty egregious for me not to tip.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 21, 2022 02:08PM
I have a local Jamaican place not far from my house that's on a shoe-string budget (they opened in 2020... talk about gutsy!), and still only take-out.
It's served kind of cafeteria style.
Really nice folks....
THEM, I tip at the register after I have my food.

Not really any other place I can think of...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 21, 2022 02:37PM
What are your thoughts and practices?

I've never had the dining experience of which you speak.

I would not tip in such a circumstance, for the very reasons you mentioned.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 21, 2022 03:00PM
I'm doing ok financially these days, so I usually tip. Especially if I got particularly good service, or was demanding.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2022 04:21PM
.....only give just the tip.....to those I really like.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 21, 2022 05:32PM
I do tip for countertop /to go. Having worked and known people behind the counters (not servers) I know that in a lot of places, the staff pools tips. So everyone gets something AND that management will underpay people because they know the staff will pool tips. I also try not to use my charge card to do the tip. Cash in hand is better then a check weeks down the road.
Ps: I laugh a bit at those reports from charge companies thAt will declare that people are tipping more (or less) based on charge receipts. My cash tips don’t factor in to those reports.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 21, 2022 07:19PM
Cash only, and not all the time, esp in the chichi places, if I end up in one (usually try to avoid). Also depends on complexity of my order. The people working the counters make at least minimum wage, and around here average counter help is making $17. Not getting rich, but not working any harder than the truck driver making $17. And I know, having worked for years in those places as a young un, and also as a truck driver.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 21, 2022 10:05PM
I'm in the pinkoos camp.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 21, 2022 11:53PM

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: rz
Date: September 22, 2022 02:50PM
No. But it’s becoming more of a “thing”. They did a story on it on one of the national news morning shows. They expect you to tip before they serve you. On the show, they said that now they may not give you good service if you don’t tip. Eff that. I don’t think that’s a sustainable model. I always tip when someone serves me at a table. But if it’s counter service, where all they do is hand you the food you ordered? No. And if you purposely slow my order, or assemble it wrong? I won’t be coming back.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 22, 2022 02:53PM
rz
No. But it’s becoming more of a “thing”. They did a story on it on one of the national news morning shows. They expect you to tip before they serve you. On the show, they said that now they may not give you good service if you don’t tip. Eff that. I don’t think that’s a sustainable model. I always tip when someone serves me at a table. But if it’s counter service, where all they do is hand you the food you ordered? No. And if you purposely slow my order, or assemble it wrong? I won’t be coming back.

Do you remember where you watched that story? I'm curious - I'll try searching around on YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 60
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020