advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
meet me in the middle?!....if you are middle aged & having bad dreams -> not good.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2022 06:59PM
....linked to higher risk of dementia....

Bad dreams in middle age ‘linked to higher risk of dementia’

....People who experience frequent bad dreams in middle age could be more likely to be diagnosed with dementia later in life, research suggests.

A study found that bad dreams could become more common several years or even decades before thinking and memory problems set in.

A previous study of people with Parkinson’s disease also noted a link between frequent distressing dreams and faster rates of cognitive decline.

Dr Abidemi Otaiku, from the University of Birmingham’s Centre for Human Brain Health, who carried out the new research, said: “We’ve demonstrated for the first time that distressing dreams, or nightmares, can be linked to dementia risk and cognitive decline among healthy adults in the general population.

“This is important because there are very few risk indicators for dementia that can be identified as early as middle age.

“While more work needs to be done to confirm these links, we believe bad dreams could be a useful way to identify individuals at high risk of developing dementia, and put in place strategies to slow down the onset of disease.”

For the study, published in The Lancet journal eClinicalMedicine, Dr Otaiku examined data from three community-based groups of people in the US.

These included more than 600 adult men and women aged between 35 and 64 and 2,600 adults aged 79 and older.

All the people were dementia-free at the start of the study and were followed up for an average of nine years for the younger group and five years for the older group.

They were asked questions about the quality of their sleep, including how often they experienced bad dreams. This data was then analysed using computer software.

The findings showed that middle-aged people (35 to 64) who experienced bad dreams on a weekly basis were four times more likely to suffer cognitive decline over the following decade, while older people were twice as likely to be diagnosed with dementia.

These findings appeared to be much stronger for men than for women.

Dr Otaiku said more research was needed to examine the findings, including investigating whether nightmares among young people could be associated with future dementia risk.

How often people remember dreams and how vivid they are could also provide clues to dementia risk.

possible......indication............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: meet me in the middle?!....if you are middle aged & having bad dreams -> not good.....
Posted by: Drew
Date: September 21, 2022 07:26PM
If I'm constantly looking for my pants, is that a bad dream or comic relief from a stressful day?
Re: meet me in the middle?!....if you are middle aged & having bad dreams -> not good.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 21, 2022 07:48PM
Drew
If I'm constantly looking for my pants, is that a bad dream or comic relief from a stressful day?
Did you ship your pants ... and forget ?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 21, 2022 09:06PM
Yes, this definitely sounds like more research is needed.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 21, 2022 11:07PM
I have nothing but bad dreams, usually struggling to survive in some bizarro world or an apocalyptic world.

Grateful11
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 21, 2022 11:08PM
I'm doomed....wait, what was I saying...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 21, 2022 11:36PM
1. They were only diagnosing Parkinson's Disease.
2. Had to be at least one dream per week.
3. Dream had to wake you up.

I mean I have bad dreams sometimes, but it's very rare that they wake me up.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 23, 2022 04:52PM
Grateful11
I have nothing but bad dreams, usually struggling to survive in some bizarro world or an apocalyptic world.

In general, me too. More often, I just have dreams of trying to [do something], but not being able to do it. Trying to get somewhere, being expected to make a presentation that I have trouble preparing for, that sort of thing. Less often do I have people shooting at me/trying to kill me.

I tend to think (as a result) that dreams are evolutionarily useful by putting us in difficult situations that we have to find a way out of. Sort of a dry run without terrible consequences. Thus, “bad” or problem-solving dreams; how would you get away from that tiger?

I should say they’re not all bad. And that makes the good ones great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020