advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any experience with laser treatment for toenail fungus
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 21, 2022 11:39PM
I have a couple of toes where the fungus has really taken hold, despite trying a bunch of over the counter remedies.

I'm thinking about trying laser treatment. Has anybody here tried that? Any luck with it?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any experience with laser treatment for toenail fungus
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 22, 2022 05:22AM
....have heard that it basically is a 'scam'....the only thing that can work is the medication [ where they have to take blood test ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 10:56AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 22, 2022 08:09AM
Go to a foot doc. They will take clippings to be tested and give you stronger stuff than OTC for applying to the toenails. I chose not to use the oral meds.

IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST YEAR for the nail to grow out fungus free and you will be applying stuff that long as well.

Mine is responding well to topical application and is half grown out 6 months in.

Lysol the shower each time you use it and inside any shoes you wear. Invest in good wool socks to cut down on moisture. And rubbing alcohol on your nail clippers after use.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 22, 2022 10:38AM
Lizabeth
Go to a foot doc. They will take clippings to be tested and give you stronger stuff than OTC for applying to the toenails. I chose not to use the oral meds.

IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST YEAR for the nail to grow out fungus free and you will be applying stuff that long as well.

Mine is responding well to topical application and is half grown out 6 months in.

Lysol the shower each time you use it and inside any shoes you wear. Invest in good wool socks to cut down on moisture. And rubbing alcohol on your nail clippers after use.

I did similar about 7 years ago but it was a finger nail that prompted it. Where I go, nails fall under the Dermatology department, and they did clippings and analysis, and then creams to treat the external causes. For the actual treatment I went with the oral medication (after lots of blood tests) because it would treat the toe nails (which were not my primary complaint) along with the finger nail, essentially treating 20 nails at once, and it also had the highest success rate. It took over a year for the toenails to grow out, the finger nail recovered much sooner.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 22, 2022 11:18AM
…..who doesn’t love fun…..guys….???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 22, 2022 01:27PM
My wife has it and has for years. She doesn't want to take the oral meds because of the rather substantial negative side effects. She's done topical and a variety of other things. She actually had her 2 toenails removed a year ago and they grew back in and...the fungus is back. This year she talked to the dermatologist about laser treatment and the doc said it doesn't typically work. So she's not going to try it at this point.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 22, 2022 02:08PM
Thanks, all! And if there's anyone else out there.....
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 22, 2022 04:29PM
My dermatologist floated the idea of laser, but it's per toe, really expensive and dubious--or at least poorly studied--effectiveness.

I tried (via prescription) fluconazole, a less powerful antifungal. It was cheap and didn't require blood work. Success rate is sub 50% in the studies, but that is much better than any over the counter remedy. Cleared up some of the smaller nails and slowed down the great toe but did not eliminate it. Perhaps a lesser infection might respond better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020