advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tesla (re)coil?!….Tesla recalls $1m vehicles due to ‘excessive force’…..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 22, 2022 10:54AM
……window might exert ‘excessive force’…..

Tesla to recall more than 1 million vehicles because automatic windows might exert 'excessive force' while closing

The recall covers some 2017-2022 Model 3, 2020-2021 Model Y, and 2021-2022 Model S and Model X vehicles.

…. Tesla is recalling nearly 1.1 million U.S. vehicles because the window automatic reversal system may not react correctly after detecting an obstruction, increasing the risk of injury.

The electric vehicle manufacturer told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration it would perform an over-the-air software update of the automatic window reversal system. The recall covers some 2017-2022 Model 3, 2020-2021 Model Y, and 2021-2022 Model S and Model X vehicles.

Tesla said it was not aware of any warranty claims, field reports, crashes, injuries, or deaths related to the recall.

NHTSA said a closing window without the proper automatic reversing system may exert excessive force by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting, increasing the risk of injury.

NHTSA said the vehicles failed to comply with the requirements of a federal motor vehicle safety standard on power windows.

Tesla said during product testing in August employees identified window automatic reversal system performance that had “greater than expected variations in response to pinch detection.”

After extensive additional testing, Tesla determined the vehicle's pinch detection and retraction performance in the test results did not meet automatic reversal systems requirements.

Tesla said starting Sept. 13, vehicles in production and in pre-delivery received a software update that sets power-operated window operation to the requirements.

…..too much……………force……..?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tesla (re)coil?!….Tesla recalls $1m vehicles due to ‘excessive force’…..
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 22, 2022 12:46PM

... it would perform an over-the-air software update of the automatic window reversal system.

Beep... Update done.

Nothing to see here, folks... move along... It's all over... go back to your Takeda Air-Bag Recall Watch... still millions of unrepaired ones of those...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 22, 2022 01:57PM
We return to your regular programming of Tesla's running in to motorcycles.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 22, 2022 03:29PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Yup...
And human piloted cars do it way more often per driving hour.
Be great if we can reduce both to near-zero.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 22, 2022 04:15PM
This beauty of Tesla’s is that almost everything is adjustable by software. They can fix most things that would take the other automakers a visit to the dealer. It demonstrates Tesla’s strength in software (which by comparison is nonexistent at the other manufacturers). It’s almost a shame to call this a recall, because it gives the wrong impression (that you have to take it in).
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 22, 2022 04:54PM
Maybe the gv'ment needs to develop a new term for something that isn't to their standards but can be fixed with an automatic software tweak. Maybe something like, "do over" or "redo" or "it's fixed" or something. Carnos is right that this implies you have to take the car somewhere. And that's just not the case. And Tesla informed the feds of the issue. I presume that's a requirement, but good for Tesla, anyway!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 22, 2022 05:08PM
This is so silly. They had the recall resolved in about 10 min to 1,000,000+ vehicles. They need a category for "software recall", or "update".

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 23, 2022 10:19AM
Paul F.
Filliam H. Muffman

Yup...
And human piloted cars do it way more often per driving hour.
Be great if we can reduce both to near-zero.

It may just be anecdotes on cycle forums, but it's enough that it sure seems like the statistics for Tesla's aren't being recorded properly.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 23, 2022 10:28AM
I think it's because Harley riders like making their motor cycles sound like a Balrog with indigestion. Tesla owners like near-silence.

Seriously though, too many motorcyclists ride their bikes on public streets like they're a housefly flitting around between lanes and between lanes and weaving in and out of traffic like they're on a lightbike from Tron. When I learned to ride, I was trained that you occupy a space in a lane as if you're a car. You own that space. You assume that no one else can see you and ride as if everyone is trying to kill you. Leave space, allow time to react to stupid drivers doing stupid things. Not enough people have studied physics and they don't understand that Newtonian physics trump traffic laws. It doesn't matter if you have the right of way...when a 2000lb vehicle hits your 300lb motorcycle...you lose. You can argue your case to St Peter.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 23, 2022 09:42PM

when a 2000lb vehicle hits your 300lb motorcycle...you lose. You can argue your case to St Peter.

If only; many cars are double that weight, and trucksand SUVs even more still. Although some motorcycles are also much heavier than 300lb, that difference isn't as dramatic.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2022 03:57PM
All the defensive driving in the world pales when it comes to being the victim of a rear-end collision.

Most people, regardless of vehicle operated, don't scan their mirrors enough to notice approaching hazards behind them.

A vehicle approaching fast from behind is difficult to defend against.

Some riders say if a Tesla's behind them, they'll be sure to change lanes.

As if it's only a Tesla problem, and as if spending time trying to tell if every car behind them is a Tesla or not, isn't a distraction from the road ahead.

Finally, the real problem here is a driver using driver assisted functionality and not paying attention.

Anybody paying attention to the environment should realize when the car isn't slowing or performing as it would with a prudent driver operating it.

'The car should have known better' is not a real defense, though maybe one day it will be.

But not today.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020