advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help me buy a scanner-Fujitsu vs. Epson vs. Fujitsu!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 22, 2022 02:41PM
Well, my trusty Fujitsu Scansnap S500m is finally giving up the ghost. This puppy has been the best piece of tech I've ever had-I've had it for 15 years, easy maintenance, extremely high performance, constantly updated drivers. And I got it for a steal on eBay-a PC user had bought it in mistake, so I got it for about $75 in 2007! So I'm kind of sad to move on-but it's clearly dying...

So I'm looking at three options. First is the Scansnap ix1600-that's the latest iteration of what I have now. It has all the bells and whistles, very fast, WiFi connectivity, etc. Looks like I can get one for about $450. It can scan photos, but one at a time.

Second is the Epson FastFoto FF-680W-again, all the bells and whistles, WiFi, fast, etc. Reportedly the software is a bit more user-friendly. I can pick up a refurb from Epson for about $400. The big bonus is that it reportedly does a decent job scanning stacks of photos, and I have a couple thousand that I'd like to scan and dump the hard copy. It will be cheaper than using a service like Costco, but more of a hassle and probably not quite as good quality.

Third is the dark horse. There are a fair number of very positive reports about the discontinued Fujitsu ix500-has bells and whistles (WiFi!), current drivers, and reportedly significantly better build quality. It looks like I can get one on eBay with reasonably light use, good condition, for about $100 to $150. No photos.

So I'm leaning a bit towards the ix500, but all have strengths. If you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help me buy a scanner-Fujitsu vs. Epson vs. Fujitsu!
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 22, 2022 03:07PM
I can gang up photos and slides/negs on my elderly Epson 4990 Photo. It came with different templates and works with Apple's Image Capture because Epson doesn't support it. I really like it.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 22, 2022 03:16PM
Canon supported my all in one device for 12 years. I would think hard about buying from the company most likely to continue to support the device in the future.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: September 22, 2022 03:47PM
I have different models from these two vendors

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M is great for documents. It is okay for photos.

Epson FastFoto FF-640 gives mixed results with photos. You can set a stack of photos on it and they will scan in a matter of minutes. I have only scanned a few documents with this scanner and have no opinion.

Both are great scanners with odd software interfaces.

In my usage, Epson for photos (jpg), Fujitsu for documents (searchable PDFs).

Long time Mac user
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 22, 2022 04:35PM
That Epson will simultaneously save JPG and RAW versions of scanned photos, FYI. A nice little feature.

I've read nothing but great reviews for the Epson related to its intended purpose of scanning stacks of smaller photos - apparently it's just a so-so document scanner. I recently purchased a refurb unit from Epson, but have not gotten around to using it yet.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 22, 2022 05:41PM
anonymouse1,

I have an ix1500 at home and an ix1600 at my office. Bought it as a manufacturer's refurb in 2/2021. It is by far one of my best investments in tech. I use it near daily for documents and occasionally for photos. I kick myself for not buying one for my office at that time. Ended up buying a brand-new ix1600 several months ago after I got frustrated by the ADF of my office's HP Officejet Pro 9025. I use the one at my office just as much as the one I have at home. I don't do a lot of photos, though. Lots and lots of documents.

I adore the ix1500 and ix1600. I use them for nearly all my scanning and only break out scanning on the Officejet Pro 8600 I have at home and the Officejet Pro 9025 I have at my office is when I need a flatbed. That brings me to a wish. I wish Fujitsu made a Scansnap version of the SP-1425 which has both an ADF and a flatbed.

[fujitsuscannerstore.com]

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 22, 2022 06:51PM
Have had an S1500M for as long as I can remember. Had the preceding model (a used purchase) for years before that. I was miffed with Fujitsu for a while when they announced they weren't going to update their software for the macOS for some reason but they reversed this decision and routinely update now.

sidebar: I do 99.99% document scanning and only the occasional image

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 23, 2022 02:51PM
I don't remember the model number, but back in the mid/late 90's, I had a database client that was based on processing dental claim forms. We got a Fujitsu scanner that was ~$7,500 back then, that was able to scan multiple defined areas on the form, and extract the information on it.

Seemed real pricey at the time, but it did stuff several years ahead of its time.
I've always thought highly of their scanners.
For scanning lots of photos, I'd hit a couple of photo forums, and see if they have any hidden gems.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020