advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the deal with these guys? BYD Auto in L.A.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 22, 2022 03:21PM
I thought they could not sell cars here. I took these snaps in early July while passing by. We were in a hurry and I didn't have time to go inside. Next time I will and also get a test drive.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the deal with these guys? BYD Auto in L.A.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 22, 2022 03:27PM
You should have asked if you could take one for a test drive.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 22, 2022 03:39PM
Their website is just taking emails to send more information, and stating a new website is coming soon. Could just be a display model, possibly not even fully equipped with drivetrain.
Date: September 22, 2022 03:40PM
mattkime
You should have asked if you could take one for a test drive.

I had to beg my buddy to stop so that I could grab those snaps. Next time I will.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 22, 2022 03:49PM
when they refuse the test drive, ask to look under the hood just to make sure that SOMETHING is in there...
Date: September 22, 2022 03:54PM
hal
when they refuse the test drive, ask to look under the hood just to make sure that SOMETHING is in there...

We'll shall see.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 22, 2022 04:35PM
Why would you think they would have anything other than a production model? BYD is not one of the makers promising vaporware cars. It is a major automaker in the rest of the world, they are just now exploring the US market. Beyond autos, they supply buses and trucks. They are also a battery supplier to numerous other manufacturers, including Tesla.

BYD and Vin are going to challenge Tesla in ways that Ford and GM can't.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: September 22, 2022 04:49PM
Ombligo
Why would you think they would have anything other than a production model? BYD is not one of the makers promising vaporware cars. It is a major automaker in the rest of the world, they are just now exploring the US market. Beyond autos, they supply buses and trucks. They are also a battery supplier to numerous other manufacturers, including Tesla.

It's been expressed to me that they were banned from selling in the USA. I was wondering if something changed.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 22, 2022 05:31PM
That's downtown L.A., right next to/under the freeway, just east of the other freeway....

Looks like Chinese spy HQ.... I'd steer clear of there.
==
Posted by: kj
Date: September 22, 2022 06:20PM
vision63
Ombligo

It's been expressed to me that they were banned from selling in the USA. I was wondering if something changed.

I don't think they are banned. I think they got screwed by the pandemic, but are still planning on selling vehicles here in the near future.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 22, 2022 06:23PM
The only article I could find that even vaguely addressed the topic: [www.forbes.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 22, 2022 07:04PM
No reason to buy Chinese built vehicles unless they offer a significant advantage over US built vehicles ( like 20% higher miles per kW, 25% more kWh per lb, or autopilot that actually works). Historically the goal has been to sell products at a loss to put local manufacturers out of business.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 22, 2022 09:47PM
BYD is HUGE In China and builds some compelling EV and Hybrid cars.
They just started selling in Australia.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 23, 2022 12:50AM
Filliam H. Muffman
No reason to buy Chinese built vehicles unless they offer a significant advantage over US built vehicles... Historically the goal has been to sell products at a loss to put local manufacturers out of business.

We do that in the US too. That’s essentially the business model of Uber (and Lyft) to put taxis out of business.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 23, 2022 07:40AM
BYD is Warren Buffet’s retirement plan I think.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 23, 2022 07:45AM
Gareth
Filliam H. Muffman
No reason to buy Chinese built vehicles unless they offer a significant advantage over US built vehicles... Historically the goal has been to sell products at a loss to put local manufacturers out of business.

We do that in the US too. That’s essentially the business model of Uber (and Lyft) to put taxis out of business.

Taxis mostly put themselves out of business in my region. I ended up calling three taxi services and left messages for a ride (called one, waited 45 min, repeat). After four hours from making the first call, I signed up for Uber and completed the trip before the taxi's finally called me back. They got spoiled focusing only on the State Capitol campus.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020