advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LG 8x External USB Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive $20
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 22, 2022 06:21PM
I mean if you even have a need for one. I still have my OWC DVD ext. burner and a Pioneer USB Ext. Blu-ray burner. I rarely ever use them unless I buy some used CD's or DVD's to add to my iTunes collection. Seems like a good deal.

[www.bestbuy.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LG 8x External USB Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive $20
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 22, 2022 07:01PM
My history with LG drives like this is bringing it back to the store and demanding a new one under the warranty. The lock-in mechanism fails. I have been through 4-5 of them until the exasperated manager at Microcenter gave me an upgraded one.

(They tried to charge me sales tax on the replacements. I said 'You MUST be kidding')
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 22, 2022 07:05PM
Decent deal. One of their lower end burners. Mac compatibility is iffy, so be careful.

FYI, Mac friendly is $9 more @ BB.....
==
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 22, 2022 08:19PM
Buzz
Decent deal. One of their lower end burners. Mac compatibility is iffy, so be careful.

FYI, Mac friendly is $9 more @ BB.....
==

This does DVD-RAM too.

Yeah, I have a few DVD-RAM discs, I can't recall how they worked. I mean I know how they should work, Just don't recall anything different about them at this time. I think I still have them, I'll pop them in sometime to see what's there.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 23, 2022 07:53AM
I finally gave up on these portables & bought a full-size 3.5" tray-loader in an external case.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 23, 2022 12:43PM
Bill in NC
I finally gave up on these portables & bought a full-size 3.5" tray-loader in an external case.

I never gave up on the full size units, still much my preference, but do have a couple of portables (1X Apple + 1X LG slot loader) to use w/ no-optical laptops.
It's an ease of use thing.
Just wish the Apple played nicer w/ everybody w/o having to hack the boot code for older MBP's that have HDD/SSD where OEM optical once was.

IIRC, we had the DVD RAM optical upgrade on ye olde PM7100, and other than a handful of discs from back then, no more DVD RAM's since.
IIRC2, DVD RAM's came in different flavor capacities, so you had to check for compatibility.

cool smiley
==
Posted by: hal
Date: September 23, 2022 01:18PM
Bill in NC

I agree - ALL of these 'slim' units die fast
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 25, 2022 04:36PM
Thanks, I could use a portable unit. For occasional use this fits the bill nicely.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 01, 2022 09:22AM
Postscript: I misread the original post and didn't realize this was just a standard DVD drive (not BR) until I went to pick it up.

The BestBuy kids were nice about it, gave me an immediate refund, but I still felt foolish...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020