advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pantone to RGB conversion?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 23, 2022 01:50PM
Any print folks have a tried and true method to get a RGB equivalent from a Pantone color? I see several conversion tools online, but all of them seem to give different values for the color. Is this one of those "just find something as close as you can" things, or is there a science to it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pantone to RGB conversion?
Date: September 23, 2022 01:51PM
the colors in question:

brown PMS 476
green PMS 5743
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 23, 2022 02:15PM
Have you tried signing up for Pantone’s ‘Pantone Connect’ conversion tool? There’s a 1 week trial available.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 23, 2022 02:31PM
I got out of the printing biz in the early 70's, and periodically pine over conundrums such as this. No clue about the conversion, but still find it interesting.
==
Date: September 23, 2022 02:41PM
Blankity Blank
Have you tried signing up for Pantone’s ‘Pantone Connect’ conversion tool? There’s a 1 week trial available.

Perfect! Wasn't aware of that. Exactly what I needed.
Date: September 23, 2022 02:55PM
Buzz
I got out of the printing biz in the early 70's, and periodically pine over conundrums such as this. No clue about the conversion, but still find it interesting.
==

Yeah, the ink never completely leaves your blood once you’re in it for awhile. Late 80s to early 2000s for me. big grin smiley

As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 23, 2022 04:43PM
Four years on a Heidelberg Windmill in the late seventies for me.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 23, 2022 05:40PM
I haven’t done print in about 5 years but if you have Photoshop or a trial it’s easy to look up in the color picker.

JoeM
Date: September 24, 2022 12:20AM
I learned how to "type" on giant linotype machines, so when I got around to qwerty typewriters, Mavis Beacon (or whomsoever the equivalent typing teacher of the era was) had her hands full trying to break those old habits....

y'all are right; once you've laid a font, or two, ya never forget your first love.
and ahhh...., those Heidelberg summers are such sweet memories; many kinds of love in San Francisco that summer of 1967, or not.
Though running the giant Miehle vertical or smaller Heidelberg that summer was preferable to chopping out envelope blanks on the big-honkin' die press.
The following summer was more funner, because I got to run the envelope assembly machine, *and* they were filming "Bullitt" around The City. At full speed, the envelope machine was a 3 to 4 person job, but slow it down, and 1 person could operate it, bouncing around from position to position.... it boiled down to profitability, and how much management could afford to spend on labor, as to how many stations were manned for any given run. Several times, the boss's son and I would have to go in on weekends, or stay nights, and print the big envelope stock on the Miehle, then a day, or so later I'd get to run 'em on the envelope machine during the day shift (I begged off die-cutting that year).
==
Date: September 24, 2022 08:26AM
Buzz
I learned how to "type" on giant linotype machines, so when I got around to qwerty typewriters, Mavis Beacon (or whomsoever the equivalent typing teacher of the era was) had her hands full trying to break those old habits....

y'all are right; once you've laid a font, or two, ya never forget your first love.
and ahhh...., those Heidelberg summers are such sweet memories; many kinds of love in San Francisco that summer of 1967, or not.
Though running the giant Miehle vertical or smaller Heidelberg that summer was preferable to chopping out envelope blanks on the big-honkin' die press.
The following summer was more funner, because I got to run the envelope assembly machine, *and* they were filming "Bullitt" around The City. At full speed, the envelope machine was a 3 to 4 person job, but slow it down, and 1 person could operate it, bouncing around from position to position.... it boiled down to profitability, and how much management could afford to spend on labor, as to how many stations were manned for any given run. Several times, the boss's son and I would have to go in on weekends, or stay nights, and print the big envelope stock on the Miehle, then a day, or so later I'd get to run 'em on the envelope machine during the day shift (I begged off die-cutting that year).
==

Too bad we weren’t in The City during the same years. San Francisco was one hell of a place for a good, long time. I suspect we would have come away with a story or two or three. big grin smiley

Date: September 24, 2022 02:30PM
Blankity Blank

Too bad we weren’t in The City during the same years. San Francisco was one hell of a place for a good, long time. I suspect we would have come away with a story or two or three. big grin smiley

I was born in SF, moved to East Bay in '56, bailed to UCLA late 60's, last (almost full) summer up north was '71, then only visits after that. Folks downsized in '78, after which there was no place for us kids to go back to, until step-dad died in '80, and mom moved her mom out (who passed in '84) to an old folk's place across from Rockridge (in Oakland).

A childhood buddy's dad had his hooks in several printing and paper goods manufacturing businesses, and my buddy and I had our own little printing businesses going in the 60's. Working at his dad's plants in SF paid really well back then, so it was quite the experience. It also enabled us to have plenty of spending money to take advantage of a LOT of fun stuff in the Bay Area (and plenty of skiing at Tahoe when the snow was good).

I'm sure there woulda been plenty of good stories; you're right, there was a ton of stuff going on there; all ya had to do was to get out in the middle of it, and stories happened (IOW, three stories might still be on the light side.... unless you're only talking about a holiday weekend).
cool smiley
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020