advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Late 2013 15" MBP screen/LCD replacement
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: September 25, 2022 04:34PM
I had a little accident with my MBP - it took a tumble and survived intact, except for a bright white spot on my screen where a small audio mixer box hit it. I'm extremely lucky to not need a new computer and should be happy to live with this screen blemish, but I just replaced the battery and top case. I hope to get at least one or two more years out of it, so started looking into fixing this. I have no qualms opening up and working on my MBP myself.

I was wondering if it might be possible to buy just the LCD panel by itself, but the searches I've done all return the entire screen assembly - case and all. Of course I know it would be a much quicker & easier fix to do the whole screen half, but the prices I see for anything but non-working or grade C/D parts are anywhere from $190 to over $500 (and more towards the higher end). I'm hoping to find a grade B, or maybe a C if it's just a few dents in the case.

Does anyone sell just the LCD panel by itself? I can't seem to find any of those but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms ("Late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 LCD panel" is what I've tried). Is there something I don't know here - a reason why I only see the entire screen assembly (other than ease of replacement)? TIA for any helpful advice!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Late 2013 15" MBP screen/LCD replacement
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 25, 2022 05:13PM
For those prices, you would be better off getting a new Mac

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 25, 2022 05:20PM
No, the retina displays are all glued together, which is why you can't really find the panel on its own.

Sadly, as you're finding, the price for displays is rather outrageous. It might be better just to get a similar model or slight upgrade if you don't want to swing for brand new.

Or, find the same model with some other damage (i.e. extreme lower body damage, but it seems unlikely the screen would still be pristine. Potential liquid damage, although sometimes that can mess up the LCD too if it was by the connector), and just use the screen and sell the rest, potentially with your screen for parts.
Date: September 25, 2022 05:54PM
Thanks for clarifying things. I certainly agree it doesn’t make much sense to drop that much coin on an almost ten-year-old machine. I think I’ll just limp along with things the way they are. I’ll keep telling myself how lucky I was to have a few pixels glowing bright white be the only outcome of this accident - the laptop fell about four feet onto a stage. I had audio & USB cables plugged in too - I’m very lucky there was no damage to either the cables’ plugs or the jacks on the computer.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 25, 2022 08:51PM
As a temporary replacement, you could always get an external monitor...[www.amazon.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 25, 2022 10:15PM

Date: September 25, 2022 10:26PM
Rolando
As a temporary replacement, you could always get an external monitor...[www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the suggestion but the blemish caused by my accident is exactly that - the screen is perfectly usable, just not "perfect" like it was two days ago! It's just a small spot of white. Given the prices I'm seeing for replacements, I'll live with it.

Posted by: clay
Date: September 25, 2022 10:43PM
find a water damaged full machine on ebay and use the screen from it? haven't researched to see what's available...
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 26, 2022 07:01AM
Live with it until you replace the computer.

I've seen 14" MBP M1 16GB/1TB for $1999 new sealed on eBay.
Date: September 26, 2022 08:35AM
Yep, gonna live with it. F'n drag, as I mentioned how I just replaced the battery and top case & keyboard - it felt like a new computer! It's my main music rig which I've been touring with for years. It always sits on an SKB Studio Flyer case on top of my bass amp on stage. We opened a brand new theatre the other night. The stage was vibrating a bit as we played - I thought that was odd, and noticed that the SKB case shifted a little after our sound check. So, my stupidity contributed to this accident. I did check on it a few times as we played, just not at the right time! (I'm sure that being on that SKB case is what saved the computer from further damage).

I'd love to go with an M1 or M2 laptop but my music rig is as stable as it's ever been, and some of the sw I use is not AS native. It would be a pretty big endeavor to move there. Buying a newer Intel Mac now might make sense for the short run, but I know I'll eventually be on AS, so that idea isn't too appealing.

From what I've read, the screen from a mid-2014 MBP will also fit my late-2013. I'm going to occasionally check Ebay to see what's out there - maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2022 08:57AM by reezekeys.
Date: September 26, 2022 09:06AM
Bill in NC
Live with it until you replace the computer.

I've seen 14" MBP M1 16GB/1TB for $1999 new sealed on eBay.

Considering that my music rig – which has multiple virtual instrument and effects plugins – runs fine on this 9-year old base model MBP (2Ghz, 8GB ram), I think a refurb M1 Air would be more than enough! The issue is getting all my current software to play nice with AS. A few items aren't AS-native and one or two are abandon-ware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020