advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch Ultra Review as a Dive Watch
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 26, 2022 04:09PM
The same guy in the previous Ultra Review post puts the Ultra in a mini dive chamber for his test and review.

[www.youtube.com]

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch Ultra Review as a Dive Watch
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2022 04:15PM
Speaking of dive watches, I took delivery of this beauty just today: [slickdeals.net]

It is what it is.
You are evil.
Date: September 26, 2022 08:38PM
That is a beautiful mech.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 27, 2022 05:11AM
It works as a dive watch in the most fundamental sense. I would think of it as a secondary or backup to a primary dive computer. I really do not like that it fails to show maximum depth if you drop below recreation guidelines. that removes an important bit of information for no apparent reason. It also did not indicate a need for a safety stop on the way up. I also did not see it give a time remaining countdown (it may have and I didn't notice). The limitations and omissions are too great for me to suggest this as a primary dive tool for any dive that does not have a hard bottom of less than 55 feet.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 27, 2022 06:24AM
Ombligo
It works as a dive watch in the most fundamental sense. I would think of it as a secondary or backup to a primary dive computer. I really do not like that it fails to show maximum depth if you drop below recreation guidelines. that removes an important bit of information for no apparent reason. It also did not indicate a need for a safety stop on the way up. I also did not see it give a time remaining countdown (it may have and I didn't notice). The limitations and omissions are too great for me to suggest this as a primary dive tool for any dive that does not have a hard bottom of less than 55 feet.

This was not a review of it as a dive-watch. It was a demonstration of its depth-gauge. The Depth app displays time, current depth, water temperature, duration under water, and max depth reached.

Judge it as a dive-computer when it's got the dive-computer software.

The Oceanic+ app will turn the Apple Watch Ultra into a dive computer. It will include dive planning, dive metrics, visual and haptic alerts, no-decompression limit, ascent rate, safety stop guidance, dive-conditions, and exportable logs. Expect it later this fall, probably in November.

Date: September 27, 2022 06:34AM
It works as a dive watch in the most fundamental sense. I would think of it as a secondary or backup to a primary dive computer.

The video and Apple address that.

Apple Watch Ultra has a water resistance rating of 100 meters under ISO standard 22810. It may be used for recreational scuba diving (with compatible third-party app from the App Store) to 40 meters and high-speed water sports. Apple Watch Ultra should not be used for diving below 40 meters. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and can diminish over time. For additional information see support.apple.com/HT205000.

[www.apple.com]

Underwater activities are risky. The Depth app isn't a dive computer and doesn't provide decompression stop information, gas analysis, or other recreational scuba diving functionality. If you're using Apple Watch Ultra where the failure of the device could lead to death, personal injury, or severe environmental damage, always use a secondary depth gauge and timer/watch. Before going on a dive, be sure your Apple Watch Ultra is free of cracks or other damage.

[support.apple.com]

I really do not like that it fails to show maximum depth if you drop below recreation guidelines.

Actually, I think of that as a good thing, the Ultra not being a dive computer.

It doesn't encourage a newly minted or inexperienced diver to try to peg the needle beyond 40M.

I see it somewhat the opposite of a car speedometer where there are posted speed limits in the US varying speeds, and there's always someone who wants to bury the needle at the high end.

I have no stats or evidence other than a few anecdotal data points, but the 85mph speedometers in the mid-late 70s probably reduced some attempts to reach triple digit speed on previous speedos compared to the 125/145/etc indices on prior (and later) speedos.

That seems a safer way to go instead of showing maximum depths up to 50m/60m/etc, and a smart move on Apple's part concerning liability and 'Apple should have known...' suits.

Obviously I'm not saying some people won't exceed the 40m maximum just to have it on their Watch.

But they'll get that advisory whether they exceed it by a few feet or an atmosphere.

I hope Apple makes the above limitations more obvious in any shipping documentation, though it could be ignored.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Oh, and...
Date: September 27, 2022 06:44AM
I don't know what sensors the Ultra has or what their capabilities are, but Apple has said they will be releasing dive computer software, and I imagine there will be more updates providing increase features as time goes on.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020