advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite Backup software?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 24, 2006 12:05PM
I'm trying to upgrade a client's file server/backup and would like it to stay Mac- it's handling about 20 Mac and PC people. It's currently an old beige G3 server running OS 9 so isn't particularly feature-filled or efficient. I'd like the new setup to be reasonably easy to use and backup with RAID 5 and tape.

I know that Retrospect is a common Mac choice and I'm using it elsewhere but it's never been my favorite program to use and frankly makes less sense to me than Backup Exec for the PC (Say it isn't so, Shane!). Anyone else use a different backup program which works well? Currently it's just backing up locally on the server but they might want to do network backups of remote clients in the future.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite Backup software?
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: January 24, 2006 12:10PM
Retrospect...sorry. :-)
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 24, 2006 12:12PM
Intego's Personal Backup X4
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2006 12:13PM
Retrospect made zero sense to me until i read the manual. now i have no problems.

Retrospect is very complex because it does complex things. I simply don't know of any other software that does incremental backups. (i.e. only backs up changed files since last backup)

i very strongly believe in incremental backups - you're as likely to cause your own data loss as the computer is.

You feel like god the first time you pull up something someone deleted three days ago.
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: January 24, 2006 12:16PM
What mattkime said.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 24, 2006 12:17PM
matt made no sense to me until I read his post. smiling smiley

Retrospect STILL makes no sense to me.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 24, 2006 12:34PM
Retrospect still sounds like the way to go. However, if you're going to stage to a RAID and write it out to tape, it's worth taking the time to check out BRU Server. Those are really your only two options for networkable backup servers for Mac OS X.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 24, 2006 12:41PM
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! Looks like Retrospect is still the most popular but I'll look into BRU Server and Intego Personal Backup X4. Yes, mattkime, I really like incremental backups and no, I haven't RTFM! Looks like it's time to.

Any other idears?
Posted by: tortoise
Date: January 24, 2006 12:46PM
I've been using and installing Retrospect for clients both Mac & PC for years and nothing else beats it. However as mattkime correctly notes reading the manual is essential, it is a powerful program with a learning curve that many find intimidating and revert to something simpler that they can use without reading the manual. I have recovered many clients businesses critical records and complete systems because Retrospect was watching the store and can testify that it works as advertised on both Mac and PC.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 24, 2006 08:43PM
The great thing about Personal Backup is the ease of use and the great telephone tech support I've gotten from Intego.

It's very easy to set up a variety of backup options that can run automatically if you choose plus David at Intego has walked me through some questions I had about the setup details.

My setup allows for backing up to both my alternative internal drive plus to my external FW drive.

And it's fast!
Posted by: Linda2
Date: January 24, 2006 08:45PM
Data Backup from Prosoft Engineering does incremental backups and it's easy to use, too. I like it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020