Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 18, 2022 12:10PM
Agreed. Truly incredible.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In case you've never seen it: the Gimli landing
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 18, 2022 12:53PM
Wow.

I'm a big believer that there are always other options for anything. But many times we just don't know what those options are. That pilot knew one and damn did he pull it off.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 18, 2022 01:12PM
Is that the Canada Air flight that miscalculated their fuel load because of the switch to metric? If not, that's also a really interesting story. They ended up landing on an old airstrip that was being used for go-karts or something like that. It was a miracle that no one was hurt.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 18, 2022 01:12PM
A similar landing took place outside New Orleans. A Taca flight from El Salvador lost both engines and glided in for a landing - on a levee. It is the only successful landing of a commercial aircraft outside an airport or runway.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 18, 2022 01:38PM
ztirffritz
Is that the Canada Air flight that miscalculated their fuel load because of the switch to metric? If not, that's also a really interesting story. They ended up landing on an old airstrip that was being used for go-karts or something like that. It was a miracle that no one was hurt.

Yes, that's the one. They repaired and refueled the plane and flew it out for further repairs. It went back into service for another 25 years and was placed in storage. The plane was scrapped 6 years later in 2014, parts of the fuselage skin were made into 10,000 sequentially numbered luggage tags and sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 02:59PM by JoeH.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: October 18, 2022 01:42PM
An amazing story. Had just the right people on the flight deck. Wished they had explained why they ran out of fuel, especially so quickly.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 18, 2022 03:05PM
MindMeld
An amazing story. Had just the right people on the flight deck. Wished they had explained why they ran out of fuel, especially so quickly.

There's a second part of the video that covers the investigation. It's shorter, about 13 minutes long.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 18, 2022 04:26PM
Ombligo
A similar landing took place outside New Orleans. A Taca flight from El Salvador lost both engines and glided in for a landing - on a levee. It is the only successful landing of a commercial aircraft outside an airport or runway.

My husband used to have to fly TACA when he was flying down to Central America on business. He said it stood for
Take
A
Chance
Airlines.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 18, 2022 04:29PM
Back around then, there were at least FOUR WAYS fuel could be measured:
1: Imperial Gallons
2: U.S. Gallons
3: Litres
4: Pounds.

Different locations, at times, used different measurement standards.

On a long flying day with multiple stops in multiple countries, the flight crew could easily have to deal with multiple ways of fuel measurement.

All in all, this was First Class Flying under EXTREMELY challenging conditions. I believe that the Captain's experience in flying gliders made all the difference here. Captain Chesley Sullenberger also had gliding experience which I have NO doubt he used on his historic Hudson River landing.

About 20 years ago, Air Transat's Flight 236 ran out of fuel while over The Atlantic Ocean. The flight crew was able to make a successful "dead stick" landing in the Azores.

The AOPA did a humorous 1 minute PSA video on fuel starvation years ago:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 18, 2022 09:44PM
Part 2 was even more interesting to me than the first.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 19, 2022 06:25AM
rgG
Ombligo

My husband used to have to fly TACA when he was flying down to Central America on business. He said it stood for
Take
A
Chance
Airlines.

We flew them pretty regularly as well. The best part was the open bar, you needed a few free drinks to land in Tegucigalpa.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 20, 2022 06:39PM
I just watched the end of this video in the morning, and when I went to check out some music videos later there were five links to more crash videos in the column on the side!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020