advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stereoscope photos
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 27, 2022 12:45PM
Attending real bricks and mortar auctions is a hobby of mine and my favourite items are job lots, the more random the better. A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of boxes containing books, comics, some bits of china and a load of other things. My interest was really the comics which I thought would prove profitable even though I had only seen the outside of the boxes fleetingly. Sorting out when I got them home suggested I would be correct about the comics and like with many of these job lots at least half would be straight off to a charity shop (do you call them goodwills?) Down the bottom though there was an envelope and inside were about 50 old Stereoscope photo cards. Most appeared to be US in origin including two from Sears Roebuck from 1906. Also included was a vintage, maybe even antique, Stereoscope viewer and I was impressed at how good the 3D effect was.

Loads of fun to be had when the powercuts come this winter.

Paul
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stereoscope photos
Posted by: hal
Date: October 27, 2022 12:48PM
that's cool - I wonder what the value of the pictures and reader together might be...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 27, 2022 12:57PM
I love stereoscope photos. Among other reasons, the subjects of the photos are so often fascinating.

Posted by: GGD
Date: October 27, 2022 01:00PM
I remember having a View Master as a child with Stereoscope photos that were in a circular cardboard disk.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 27, 2022 01:05PM
The viewer looks like this one.

Paul
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 27, 2022 01:05PM
Nice find!

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 27, 2022 01:40PM
Make your own!

(looking through the archives, looks like I acquired mine in August 2006, so I've been taking 3D photos digitally as often as possible for about 16 years now; previous to that I resorted to using two disposable film cameras mounted side-by-side)
Posted by: rz
Date: October 27, 2022 02:15PM
We got one of those viewers and a bunch of cards in an auction lot years ago. Wasn't the main thing in the lot we were interested in, but it was pretty cool. We sold them at a garage sale shortly after for about twice what we paid for the whole lot.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 27, 2022 04:35PM
I was left WW-I stereoscopic slides by a great uncle who served abroad during WW1 and WW2. Unfortunately, I don’t have the stomach for war slides, let alone stereoscopic ones.
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 27, 2022 06:40PM
Right on! I’ve been wanting one of those for a while!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020