Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Frozen M1 Mini
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 15, 2022 08:55AM
On 11.7, I believe.

Frozen during use with Safari, tried hard reset by powering off, also tried cycling down the capacitor y pressing power while unplugged. No caps lock light on startup screen, just frozen.

Help? I've got to use this soon.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Frozen M1 Mini
Date: November 15, 2022 09:11AM
D'oh! My KB was frozen, not the machine. Again. AL KB doesn't like to reconnect after a slight freeze.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 15, 2022 09:16AM
Extrapolating from what you've written; mini has been unplugged (to get out of freeze). You're not getting a caps lock on trying to start up.

Q: is this a wired keyboard or wireless?

Q: where does it freeze up on starting up? at the Apple logo or ... ?

Q: have you tried recovery mode? (link: [support.apple.com]) & below)

Q: barring the above, have you tried internet recovery mode?

Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery

Restart your Mac.

Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:

Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.

Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.

Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
If you see a lock, enter the password for your Mac.

If you have multiple volumes on your disk, select the volume you want to recover, then click Next.

If requested, choose an administrator account, click Next, enter the password for the account, then click Continue.

When the Recovery app appears in the menu bar, you can choose any of the available options in the window or the menu bar.

Date: November 15, 2022 09:17AM
Forum is running dog slow these days; saw you posted an update while I was typing.

Good to hear that's all it was.

Date: November 15, 2022 09:23AM
Zoidberg
Forum is running dog slow these days; saw you posted an update while I was typing.

Good to hear that's all it was.

I was browsing here while it occurred. Not sure there is a connection, but whenever there is a freeze, my KB has a problem reconnecting. Not sure why, but I need to remember that fact, as I often panic more than necessary.

Date: November 15, 2022 09:52AM
> I was browsing here while it occurred. Not sure there is a connection, but whenever there is a freeze, my KB has a problem reconnecting. Not sure why, but I need to remember that fact, as I often panic more than necessary.

Everything updated that can be updated? I've had some Safari problems, but never freezes.

Since it's wireless, is the KB all charged up?

Might also be BT communication and interference; I seem to recall mini's (even the M1) having some issue with BT. (a quick DuckDuck search of "M1 Mac Mini Bluetooth issues" turned up a lot of entries)

ADDED: nice compiled list of troubleshooting via CleanMyMac: [cleanmymac.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 09:53AM by Zoidberg.
Date: November 15, 2022 10:22AM
Thanks, but this kb is the wired version, which I usually prefer to avoid exactly those type of issues. But I'm unsure why this is acting up, and it's at least the third time since the summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 488
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020