advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
long day’s journey into night?!…..Musk likes his employees long & hard….
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 17, 2022 01:16PM
…..working long hours, working hard……Musk sent out ultimatum saying….demanding employees work long hours at ‘high intensity’ or leave…..

…..he has already revoked all work from home privileges….

Elon Musk demands Twitter staffers commit to 'long hours' or leave

.....New Twitter CEO and sole director Elon Musk sent a companywide email to remaining employees of the social media business on Wednesday, demanding they commit to working “long hours at high intensity” or receive “three months of severance,” if they did not consent to these conditions, or support his vision for “Twitter 2.0.”

The companywide ultimatum, sent around midnight in San Francisco time and shared with CNBC, comes after Musk has already fired key Twitter executives, laid off half of Twitter’s full-time employees, and slashed the number of contractors working with the company without notice. This week, he also fired veteran engineers at Twitter after they criticized him in public, or in the company’s internal Slack channels......

…….slave….master……..?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2022 04:19PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: long day’s journey into night?!…..Musk likes his employees long & hard….
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 17, 2022 01:31PM
LOL, they'll just tell him to f' off, after which he'll have to replace them with higher paid but lower quality workers. Again, he's clueless here. He has no idea how to run a social media company.
Date: November 17, 2022 01:33PM
Best thing he can do is admit it was a mistake, sell it off at a substantial loss and wash his hands of it.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 17, 2022 01:44PM
Carnos Jax
LOL, they'll just tell him to f' off, after which he'll have to replace them with higher paid but lower quality workers. Again, he's clueless here. He has no idea how to run a social media company.

Nah, they'll just keep their high-paying jobs but won't bother working any harder for the same pay.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 17, 2022 02:02PM
Carnos Jax
Best thing he can do is admit it was a mistake, sell it off at a substantial loss and wash his hands of it.

I read an unsubstantiated report that he is seeking a 'real' ceo for twitter. That might be his best way out. Instead of running it himself, get someone he trusts to do it.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 17, 2022 02:22PM
Not just a memo. A ride or die ultimatum with an overnight deadline. The subject line of the e-mail was "A fork in the road," according to the Washington Post.

The Verge 11/17/2022
”In an email early Wednesday morning, billionaire Twitter owner Elon Musk gave the remaining employees at the company an ultimatum. They can stay and sign on to a “hardcore” culture of “long hours at high intensity” or leave. Employees have until 5PM ET today to fill out an online form with their decision.”

A follow up FAQ to the original e-mail clarifies,
”Strikingly, the FAQ says that employment at Twitter is essentially opt in: if an employee doesn’t click “yes” on the form to confirm they want to stay, Twitter will “treat that as a resignation.”

Musk has also been busy getting into squabbles on Twitter with his own engineers, even going so far as to announce the resulting firing of one in a follow up tweet.

He’s also used his Twitter pulpit to mock employees who have criticized him in in-house communications and elsewhere.

The cherry on top may be Musk tweeting to a far right anti LGBTQ account, “Libs of Tik Tok” to slap back at another fired, critical employee.

The Advocate via Yahoo News
”On Tuesday afternoon, the anti-LGBTQ+ hate account Libs of TikTok tweeted several screenshots of a Twitter employee’s tweets that had resulted in their firing.

“How it started...How it’s going,” the account tweeted above the screenshots at 1:05 p.m. Eastern.

Thirteen minutes later, at 1:18 p.m., Elon Musk, who was not tagged in the tweet, replied to Libs of TikTok.

“A tragic case of adult onset Tourette’s,” Musk wrote.”

“… Libs of TikTok, run by Chaya Raichik, has spent months maligning transgender Americans and the LGBTQ+ community more broadly. The account, according to experts, engages in stochastic terrorism tactics constantly….”

“… Before Musk purchased Twitter, Libs of TikTok was suspended from the platform multiple times for violating the terms of service. In September, other companies like PayPal permanently banned Libs of TikTok from using their services.“

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2022 04:21PM
Which of the followings does not deserve 80 hour weeks on 40 hours pay?

a. Moon landings.
b. Natural disasters.
c. Defending invasion
d. Fixing Twitter
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2022 04:52PM
They'll click on yes, then business as usual until they get a better gig.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 17, 2022 05:24PM
Acer
Which of the followings does not deserve 80 hour weeks on 40 hours pay?

a. Moon landings.
b. Natural disasters.
c. Defending invasion
d. Fixing Twitter

e- All of the above. Forced Overtime is a management failure, NOT an employee failure. I've been a victim of such stupidity occasionally in my life.

I still recall the senior manager calling our defense engineering team together and telling us we had to work 80 hour weeks. And that he got divorced so he could spend more time at work, and that we should 'think about that'.

I discussed it with my wife that night, and got a better job elsewhere. The whole unit went out of business.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 17, 2022 05:36PM
IMO this is classic abusive boss behavior - he's demanding they work hard without setting a proper goal.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 17, 2022 05:53PM
The meltdown continues. All Twitter employees just got an email that all of them are locked out of buildings and all badges are suspended until Nov. 21.

. No explanation given but word is Elon, apparently incapable of grasping irony, suspects employees of sabotaging the company.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2022 06:01PM
I guess the bright side is if all his attention is on destroying Twitter, then he is leaving Tesla alone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 17, 2022 06:40PM
Hundreds of key employees quit by the deadline, even after Musk begged some to stay. Entire emgineering teams in some cases.

Chaos reigns.
Date: November 17, 2022 06:44PM
....he seems to be....losing it....

Date: November 17, 2022 07:14PM
$44 billion down the drain. He should have paid the $14 billion penalty and just walked away, but his ego wouldn’t let him. Certainly could’ve afforded it, as he has a decent chance of becoming the worlds first trillionaire.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 17, 2022 07:31PM
Carnos Jax
$44 billion down the drain. He should have paid the $14 billion penalty and just walked away, but his ego wouldn’t let him. Certainly could’ve afforded it, as he has a decent chance of becoming the worlds first trillionaire.

I think twitter would be facing a lot of the same problems but it would have been a more controlled process.

Posted by: Diana
Date: November 17, 2022 07:34PM
This isn’t a factory type job where additional hours translate to more product. Many of these people think this stuff much more than just 8 hours a day, as I’m sure you guys know.

Not unexpected, just disappointed.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2022 08:40PM
business school profs can't put this on the agenda for next academic year fast enough!

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 18, 2022 08:45AM
Looks like the beginning of the end.

DownDetector outage reports for twits.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 18, 2022 09:36AM
[www.cnn.com]

Two employees who had decided to reject Musk’s ultimatum on Thursday were quite clear in why they were doing so. “I don’t want to stick around to build a product that’s being poisoned from the inside and out,” one said, adding later that he felt good about making a decision “in line with what I stand for.”

A recently laid off employee who remains in touch with former coworkers said, “People don’t want to sacrifice their mental health and family lives to make the richest man in the world richer.”

e pluribus unum
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 18, 2022 09:56AM
‘ Twitter closes offices until Monday as employees quit in droves ‘

[www.cbc.ca]
Date: November 18, 2022 10:09AM
…..’allegedly’ Musk and his team are afraid of it internal sabotage, so they closed the offices…..

Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 18, 2022 10:10AM
btfc
‘ Twitter closes offices until Monday as employees quit in droves ‘

[www.cbc.ca]

Could get interesting on unemployment. Normally quitting precludes collecting, but in some states a major change in working conditions is an exception. Circulating a notice that long hours were expected and to be agreed to or else would qualify as a major change.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 18, 2022 12:17PM
I’ve seen reports from different sources saying that between 40% and 75% of the remaining employees have rejected Musk’s “hardcore” work environment or else ultimatum, leaving as little as 18% of pre-Musk employees remaining.

Sources still inside Twitter are saying there are entire departments, some critical, where the staff is near or completely gone. MIT has published a report speculating on at what point Twitter is likely to break down due to a critical infrastructure failure.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2022 12:22PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: November 18, 2022 12:23PM
…..after closing offices….he now has sent email to all engineers to come, in-person, Friday afternoon with their best code they have worked on in last 6 months, so that he can better understand twitter….

Posted by: btfc
Date: November 18, 2022 12:29PM
Beware the monkey trap, Elon!

[www.theguardian.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 383
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020