advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200?!….DirecTV Stream raising prices….
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 19, 2022 09:53AM
…. Up $5 or $10….even for legacy subscribers…..will take effect Jan 22……

DirecTV Stream

Entertainment: $74.99 per month (Up from $69.99)
Choice: $99.99 per month (Up from $89.99)
Ultimate: $109.99 per month (Up from $104.99 per month)
Premier: $154.99 per month (Up from $149.99 per month)

DirecTV Now Legacy plans

Live a Little: $84.99 per month (Up from $79.99 per month)
Just Right: $102.99 per month (Up from $94.99 per month)
Go Big: $114.99 per month (Up from $104.99 per month)
Go Big Early Adopter Plan: $89.99 per month ( Up from $79.99 per month)

……keeps going up…….?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2022 10:43AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200?!….DirecTV Stream raising prices….
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 19, 2022 10:39AM
I've been thinking about cancelling this service - this could be the nudge I needed to get me off the ledge.

It is what it is.
Re: go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200?!….DirecTV Stream raising prices….
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 19, 2022 10:46AM
crap. i need to see what I can pick up with my high gain directional YAGI antenna and maybe I give up on this.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 19, 2022 10:50AM
I gave it up years ago. I did enjoy it. So much I find not fit to view. I buy and binge shows I want.

I may be a year behind but I am $$$$$$ ahead and NO COMMERCIALS.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2022 10:50AM by Bernie.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 19, 2022 11:37AM
Mention of the legacy plans takes me back. Surprised they are still honoring those choices for bundles.

I started out on their Live a Little package, $35 a month in 2017 w/ a Apple TV included. Still using that Apple TV 4th generation box. It brought me pretty much everything I wanted from broadcast/cable TV channels without the bloated pricing from cable TV carriage of sports channels in just about every bundle. I bailed when after 3 price increases over late 2018 into 2019 would have almost doubled the price. AT&T was so busy adding expensive to carry channels it wasn't keeping aware of what many of the people who had signed onto the service were actually looking for.
Posted by: jardster
Date: December 19, 2022 11:54AM
I would really like to get rid of DirecTV, but as long as they have the Sunday Package for the NFL, I'm stuck with it. I am hoping Apple+ wins the next contract.

Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 19, 2022 12:22PM
I dropped the Legacy Go Big plan last year at the last price increase. Changed over to YouTubeTV for $55/month ($10/month discount with T-mobile).
Date: December 19, 2022 12:25PM
The only channels I watch consistently are the three HBO channels offered. I can get those via a stand-along sub to HBO Max for $15/mo...

...although I don't know how much longer HBO Max will be worth paying for, if the rumors flying around are true.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2022 12:25PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 20, 2022 06:32AM
I had to look up what "DirecTV Legacy" was. Had no idea that was what they call the satellite service now (which I had for nearly 20 years before moving to a house with too many tall trees around it).
Date: December 20, 2022 09:24AM
Will Collier
I had to look up what "DirecTV Legacy" was. Had no idea that was what they call the satellite service now (which I had for nearly 20 years before moving to a house with too many tall trees around it).

That would be different from the DirecTV Now Legacy plans mentioned in the OP. Those date back to AT&T's venture into streaming TV using the DirecTV brand that they had acquired in 2015. That was called DirecTV Now, later AT&T TV. They grandfathered in the early subscribers to the DirecTV Now packages, subscription is month to month no contract required. However if you leave or switch to one of the current services you can't go back. Channel lineup is also supposed to be the same as it was, no idea how accurate that is after 3+ years of changes.

AT&T spun DirecTV off last year but retained a 70% stake in the company. Current offerings are DirecTV Stream and DirecTV Satellite. They went to a contract plan for subscribers, minimum one year for the Stream plans. Initially when they introduced these plans 2-3 years ago you had to rent their set top box to connect to the internet, now it is an app that can be used on Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, and other such devices.
Date: December 20, 2022 02:08PM
JoeH
That would be different from the DirecTV Now Legacy plans mentioned in the OP. Those date back to AT&T's venture into streaming TV using the DirecTV brand that they had acquired in 2015. That was called DirecTV Now, later AT&T TV. They grandfathered in the early subscribers to the DirecTV Now packages, subscription is month to month no contract required. However if you leave or switch to one of the current services you can't go back. Channel lineup is also supposed to be the same as it was, no idea how accurate that is after 3+ years of changes.

I'm one of those legacy customers. Other than one or two price increases over the years, everything has remained the same.

It is what it is.
Date: December 20, 2022 03:46PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH

I'm one of those legacy customers. Other than one or two price increases over the years, everything has remained the same.

Interesting to hear. I recall one change when they rolled out the new plans and discontinued the original DirecTV Now plans were the channels available. Some channels became completely unavailable on the new plans, that was one reason for keeping the grandfathered plans.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 21, 2022 12:58PM
JoeH
Will Collier

AT&T spun DirecTV off last year but retained a 70% stake in the company. Current offerings are DirecTV Stream and DirecTV Satellite. They went to a contract plan for subscribers, minimum one year for the Stream plans. Initially when they introduced these plans 2-3 years ago you had to rent their set top box to connect to the internet, now it is an app that can be used on Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, and other such devices.

Suffice to say, it's confusing, and as a Uverse hanger-on I'm going to have to figure it out sooner (probably) or later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020